snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » What your pet is thinking

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What your pet is thinking
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 500 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just about every pet lover has a story about the astonishing intelligence of his cat, dog, bird, ferret or chinchilla. Ethologists, the scientists who study animal behavior, have amassed thousands of studies showing that animals can count, understand cause and effect, form abstractions, solve problems, use tools and even deceive. But lately scientists have gone a step further: Researchers around the world are providing tantalizing evidence that animals not only learn and remember but that they may also have consciousness - in other words, they may be capable of thinking about their thoughts and knowing that they know.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/1027wsj-pets27-ON.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MeliKoritsi
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MeliKoritsi   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I don't need researchers to tell me that my cat is a conniving little sneak who carefully plans out her ponytail attacks under the cover of darkness, and then sits in the corner, laughing at my pain.

And I know that she knows that I know, I can tell by that so very cute, but very intelligent look in her eye.

--------------------
"In the harsh light of day, your plans seem crude and childish, making it all the more obvious that you need a good planning lamp."
>Liquor in the front, poker in the rear<

Posts: 424 | From: Edina, Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surfcitydogdad     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My dogs? Sure, and I know exactly what they're thinking about most of the time: sleep, eat, go for walk, go to beach, run, play, be petted, be with family and friends, meet new people and dogs, chase non-canine quadrapeds, beg, get attention, and more - in fact, a lot like me!

The fact is, the more we learn about other animals, the more we find that the differences between us are more a matter of degree than they are a matter of yes or no. Most of the things that were considered the differences between humans and other animals - several species, at least - have been shown to be untrue in my lifetime.

We're not only having to be more open-minded about how we define intelligence and language, but sentience itself. http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20061030/sc_space/elephantselfawarenessmirrorshumans

--------------------
Only when we remake ourselves can we remake the world.
- Outer Limits (2001)

Posts: 559 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Reminds me of a swiss ad for cat food. You see a guy coming home from work, with an off-voice saying some sappy stuff like :

"My cat just *loves* me. Every day, when I come home, she's so happy to see me that she starts dancing around in joy... it's so heart-warming to see the love in her eyes..."

Then you hear the cat thinking :

"Hey look - here comes the man who operates the can opener. 'Was about time".

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Which reminds me of the two rats in a Skinner box. One rat says to the other: "This researcher is really conditioned now. I only have to press this lever and he brings me food".

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simply Madeline
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Simply Madeline     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, we know what this cat is thinking.
Posts: 763 | From: Chicago | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kit_n_caboodle
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 402 posted      Profile for kit_n_caboodle   E-mail kit_n_caboodle   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It isn't hard to tell what THESE cats are thinking.

--------------------
Peter: Brian, there's a message in my Alpha Bits. It says "OOOOOO".
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.

Posts: 53 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know what my rabbit used to think.
Food. Sex. Food. SCRATCHBITEOMFGKILLKILL!!!

My dog:
Yay! I sit like a good boy yay treats food yum! Oooh, let's lick this person. Oooh, mailman has yummies. YAY! *poing* Lets bounce all over... ooh shiny yay!

My parrot:
Shut up you bunch of idiots with your asinine social customs. Cute little birdie trying to sleep. Is that my owner? I am now going to be all pretty for her and show off. YOU TOUCHED MY OWNER! YOU MUST DIE! CHOMPITY CHOMP!

Yup, life with pets was sure a lot more interesting then I wished it would be.

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nico:
When are you getting up? Are you getting up now? What about now? Now? What about right now? Here let me remind you that you should be getting up. Ahh.. you got up. Must be time for food. Let me show you where the bowl is. Where's the food? Hey!! Why did you go back without feeding me? Don;t you know that you have to feed me whenever you get up? Guess I will have to make do with treats. When are you getting up? Are you getting up now?...

Sasha:
What have you done for me lately? Scoot over. I like this spot.

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My cat:
Must learn the secret of Man's Fire!

--------------------
The salty fragrance of L’Eau D’I’mNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
QEMama
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for QEMama   E-mail QEMama   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Simply Madeline - YOMANK! I'm still giggling! and thanks for reminding me about the onion!

--------------------
"I reject your reality and substitute my own". - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Posts: 8 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Thera
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thera   E-mail Thera   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a dog that pretty much just thinks two things:

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!
and
FRISBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

And she is very vocal about both.

Posts: 100 | From: Georgia | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My dog:

"Play? PLAY!!! Play, play play! Play, play!"

(points for reference)

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
my cats...

Missy- "MMMM toes!" "Let's see how much trouble I can get into today!" "Damn I want to get laiiiiiid"

Sam- "Someone please scratch my back, but watch out because when you are done I will likely eat the cord to your headphones.""

Holly- "Yes I really am cute huh?"

Angel- "I love you so much, I really do....YUM EARPLUGS!"

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Manzanita SOL
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Manzanita SOL   E-mail Manzanita SOL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My dog Lucky (who is not dead AFAIK, but no longer with us): "See what I did? You didn't like all those papers in a neat pile, did you? I fixed them so now they're everywhere! Do I get a reward huh huh huh?!"

My tortoise, Spike: "Well, I've fallen off of this log five times now. Are you going to pick me up or what?"
(He has a log hut to go under when his heat lamp gets to be too much for him. He climes up there a lot and always falls down. He hasn't learned that he'll end up on his back every time, but he's learned how to flip himself over.)

--------------------
Take a step outside the planet,
Then turn around and round
Take a look at where you are
It's pretty scary.
--"Turnaround" - Nirvana

Posts: 60 | From: Richmond (Glen Allen), VA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surfcitydogdad     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hilarious cat story at: http://www.catenema.com/cat1.html

--------------------
Only when we remake ourselves can we remake the world.
- Outer Limits (2001)

Posts: 559 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
blucanary
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blucanary   Author's Homepage   E-mail blucanary   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DemonWolf:
My dog:

"Play? PLAY!!! Play, play play! Play, play!"

(points for reference)

I love Over the Hedge.

So how many points do I get? [Smile]

--------------------
I would add my signature but the pen won't write on the screen.

Posts: 458 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My BILs fishies: I will eat you when I am big enough.

My BILS cat: PURR!!!!
(The poor kitty was so confuzzled at the vets: Should I purr or hiss? OW! PURRHISSSSSS! OWWWW! PURRHISSSS!)

My toad:
I'm gonna put one foot up, and then another. And then my back foot, yup and then the other... crap what's holding me up? (THUD!)

Hey it moved. It must be food. Yummy, human fingers. Yummy, electric cords. Wait a sec, I don't have teeth. Awwwww man. (Of course he made great pest control, kinda like those bug vacs. No need to touch, and of course he is 100% natural [Big Grin] )

My dog was always like, oooh shiny birdie. And the bird was always like SHUT UP, you touch my owner I KILL YOU DEAD! ROWR! Ah yes my parrot. The one who learned to shoot seeds out about 10 ft, he had a decent aim too. He also learned to open his cage. (It was kinda cute actually when the dog and the parrot would compete for volume while howling/whistling along to CDs [Big Grin] )

The dog learned to open the bathroom door, childproof locked cupboards, and how to bounce kong toys at people. The rabbit learned how to open doggie gates. How can animals be so smart and yet so dumb? They're like small children O_<

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A day in the life of Pixie.

Oooh! Shiny! *pounce*
Oooh! Moving! *pounce*
*eats*
Oooh! Fluffy! *pounce*
Oooh! Knitting! *pounce*
Oooh! Fingers! *pounce*
Eeek! Don't know what that is! *runs away*
Oooh! Shiny! *pounce*
Oooh! Moving! *pounce*
Oooh! Fluffy! *pounce*
*poos*
Oooh! Knitting! *pounce*
Oooh! Fingers! *pounce*
Oooh! Shiny! *pounce*
Oooh! Moving! *pounce*
*eats*
Oooh! Fluffy! *pounce*
Oooh! Knitting! *pounce*
Oooh! Fingers! *pounce*
*zzzzzzzzzzz*

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages