snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » Cats are left-handed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cats are left-handed
Anwndur
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anwndur     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
More cats favour their left paw than their right. Is this true, or just a load of dingleberries?

--------------------
'I don't care what they say about me as long as they spell my name right.' P.T. Barnam

Posts: 128 | From: Staffordshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
XhiXhi
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XhiXhi   E-mail XhiXhi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to one of my Psych lecturers (psych 109 at Auckland University) who has done work on hemispheric laterelisation on a number of animals, the vast majority show a preference for using their right paw/flipper/foot as the dominant appendage, so according to him this would make most cats right pawed - however, the skew towards right ?edness isn't as biased as it is in Humans, so a larger majority of animals will be "southpaws" than their human friends.

I'll see if I can dig out the file from the lecture as I took the paper last semester.

--------------------
"A solitary killer, the fire-truck can consume eight times its own weight in prey...the ambulances will have to wait their turn"

"I'm wearing a f**king evil butterfly costume...what age group do you think is going to be attracted to me?"

Posts: 51 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kit_n_caboodle
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kit_n_caboodle   E-mail kit_n_caboodle   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, maybe my cat is ambidextrous. He will alternate paws when he's practicing "high-fiving" me.

He also alternates paws when he's trying to retrieve a Q-Tip (TM) from the bathroom sink drain (which he deposits there for the sole purpose of retrieving it).

Of course, that is merely anecdotal evidence from a single animal. YMMV

--------------------
Peter: Brian, there's a message in my Alpha Bits. It says "OOOOOO".
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.

Posts: 53 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My cats use their right paws to poke me in the face while I'm sleeping. I use whatever paw is closest to encourage them to move along.

--------------------
"You hold the Prince so I can duct tape his bottom to keep the bugs out." - My Mom

Posts: 193 | From: The Fabulous Finger Lakes, New York | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages