snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » 'Sightings' of Mohave rattlesnakes symptom of hysteria

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 'Sightings' of Mohave rattlesnakes symptom of hysteria
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 301 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For at least five years, the Sibley Nature Center has been receiving reports of people finding Mojave rattlesnakes locally. The folktale that Mojave rattlesnakes have recently emigrated into Midland and Ector County has become a widely accepted belief. A half-dozen "positive specimens" have been brought to us - but when the dead snake gets here, somehow it has turned into a Diamondback Rattlesnake. Mojave rattlesnakes do not live anywhere this side of the Pecos River.

http://www.mywesttexas.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17280588&BRD=2288&PAG=461&dept_id=475590

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe it's just because I'm a herpetophobe (sp?), but I don't really see what difference it makes what particular species of rattlesnake one encounters.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Neeva
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Neeva   E-mail Lady Neeva   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I might not be remembering correctly, but I seem to recall a show on Animal Planet (Venom ER possibly?) which said some species of rattlesnake had a different type of venom which didn't respond to the standard anti-venom treatments? Or maybe it responded differently, or was more dangerous, or something. But I can't seem to recall what species of snake it was.

Edit: Ah, from the article itself (which I hadn't been interested in reading until your post LOL) -- Mojave rattlesnakes are the only species of rattlesnake in the US that has a neurotoxin, which causes paralysis and heart failure, while the hemmoragic toxin that causes tissue damage and bleeding and such.

Although, the article says both are rarely fatal in humans.

Posts: 58 | From: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, but the article says it only causes paralysis and heart failure in the small animals it hunts. Don't know what it would do to a much larger grown man - cause them to go numb?

- Pseudo_Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Neeva
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Neeva   E-mail Lady Neeva   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No clue... honestly, I think venom ER is more of a show than a series (despite how it might appear)... every time I've seen it, it's had the same exact cases. Mostly I just remember the "black widow in the slipper" one, and the idjit who kept venomous snakes as pets and predictably enough got nailed by one.

Course, I really don't understand the fascination of keeping snakes as pets in the first place... as far as I can tell, they don't really get attached to their owners like mammals, and it's not feasible to keep most of them in a habitat large enough to observe interesting natural behaivor (like fish), so I don't see much of a point to it. To each thier own I guess.

Posts: 58 | From: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:
Yeah, but the article says it only causes paralysis and heart failure in the small animals it hunts. Don't know what it would do to a much larger grown man - cause them to go numb?

- Pseudo_Croat

A friend of my father's- Fred Shannon- (they did fieldwork in Mexico together in the late 40s & early 50s) died from the bite of a Mojave rattlesnake in the 1960s. Now IIRC my father said that he had been bitten before and had had a bad reaction, but still- he did die of the Mojave's bite.

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, kitap, but the article in the OP says that most people who get bitten by rattlers don't die. So do they just go numb for a few days, or what?

- Pseudo_Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seraphina
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seraphina   E-mail Seraphina   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:
Thanks, kitap, but the article in the OP says that most people who get bitten by rattlers don't die. So do they just go numb for a few days, or what?

- Pseudo_Croat

Rattlesnake bites cause damage by destroying the tissue at the bite and causing blood clotting problems. The Mojave rattlesnake is different from the other California rattlers in that its venom affects the nervous system and can lead to paralysis.
A rattlesnake may strike without injecting venom, inflicting what is called a "dry bite." Even though the victim is not poisoned, the painful bite can still become infected. All rattlesnake bites require medical attention in an emergency room.

If a rattlesnake injects venom into the wound, a variety of symptoms develop: swelling, pain, bleeding at the site, nausea, vomiting, sweating, chills, dizziness, weakness, numbness or tingling of the mouth or tongue, and changes in the heart rate and blood pressure. Other symptoms can include excessive salivation, thirst, swollen eyelids, blurred vision, muscle spasms and unconsciousness. Rattlesnake venom also interferes with the ability of the blood to clot properly.

Posts: 214 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Keeper of the Mad Bunnies
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keeper of the Mad Bunnies   E-mail Keeper of the Mad Bunnies   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
Maybe it's just because I'm a herpetophobe (sp?), but I don't really see what difference it makes what particular species of rattlesnake one encounters.

It can mean a lot of difference as to the antivenim used to treat the bite.

The article mentioning very few fatalities has to do with (1) larger mass of human versus normal prey, (2) snakes tends to not waste a lot of venom on humans because of (1), (3) modern medical care reduces chance of fatality even more.

James Powell

Posts: 588 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, that makes sense then. I was focused on the immediate freakout I'd have at seeing any sort of rattlesnake, and not thinking through to the medical consequences. Phobias aren't logical, of course, as I tell my snake-loving daughter every time she tries to talk me out of hers.

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Ah, that makes sense then. I was focused on the immediate freakout I'd have at seeing any sort of rattlesnake, and not thinking through to the medical consequences. Phobias aren't logical, of course, as I tell my snake-loving daughter every time she tries to talk me out of mine.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages