snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » non-venomous snakes vs. venomous snakes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: non-venomous snakes vs. venomous snakes
mjp1368
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 603 posted      Profile for mjp1368   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know if it is true that if you have a non-poisonous snake on your property that poisonous snakes will stay away?

marypike@marypikeins.com

Posts: 2 | From: Dunnellon, FL | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why would they? How would they even know?

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Snakes are us doesn't mention that theory in their guide for a snake free yard.

ETA: Oh, where are my manners? Welcome to the board!

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mjp1368
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjp1368   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you. I believe it is an old-wives tale, heard it for years and was wondering if it was true.
Posts: 2 | From: Dunnellon, FL | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mjp1368:
Does anyone know if it is true that if you have a non-poisonous snake on your property that poisonous snakes will stay away?

marypike@marypikeins.com

The yard of the house I grew up in was backed by some woods and a lake; I've seen both non-poisonous snakes—garter snakes, something we called a "water snake" (probably a variety of Nerodia), and a type of kingsnake—and poisonous snakes (a type of rattlesnake).

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
1958Fury
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1958Fury   Author's Homepage