snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » Dog's Actual Life Span? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Dog's Actual Life Span?
Dutch Angua
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dutch Angua   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As for Iams, remember, the accumulative effect of chemicals and toxins in the food is OVER TIME. Slow degredation of kidney and liver function and some effects of malnutrition don't just show up as dramatic illness until they are extremely far along.
I know, but the strange thing is, Iams is, in fact, reccomended my a lot of vets here. And I've noticed that in Iams there's a lot less filling and salt and more protein. Not saying that you're making things up, but the fact that this brand is held in high regard here...

Anyway, what I noticed about more famous brands of food is that there's a lot less protein and a heckload of filling and salts in the cat food. So cats will have to eat more of it (mostly interpreted by owner as 'he likes it better') to get enough protein, and with that, eat too much salts. And THAT really kills the kidneys.

I'm thinking of buying him Royal Canin, which is known as good food here. And besides, the veterinary faculty gives students discount [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dude, where's my siggy?

Posts: 276 | From: Holland | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sister Ray:

If pets really have such different requirements than I do, looking at the ingredients won't really help much. For example, I eat corn, but dogs usually do not. And organ meat sounds awful to most people, but it's often the most nutritious part of the animal.

Of course, most commercial pet foods could in fact be bad. I'll admit I do not know for sure. It seems to me, though, that people who feed premuim foods or raw diets accept a lot of claims about them without any question.

That's why I mentioned looking up the ingredients first... There are places where you can read about what dogs do and don't need in their diets, and places that list the AAFCO's (Association Of American Feed Control Official, governing body of the pet food industry) ingredients definitions-- these tell you what each ingredient contains and explain what is in things like "corn gluten meal." Then you can look at the back of the pet food bag and see if what the company is claiming is actually what's in the food.

I don't think the majority people who feed their dogs high-quality foods blindly accept claims about dog foods. I don't think the companies that make the most high-quality pet foods even make that many claims, at least not ones that you can't prove by just reading the ingredients list. I know I feed a high-quality food to my pets. I chose the food not because of some kind of claims the company made, but because the ingredients list (which uses the AAFCO's definitions for ingredients) contains very good high-quality ingredients and no ingredients which have been proven harmful or ingredients that dogs just can't digest or don't need in their diet (like corn or wheat.) Well, that and the protein and fat levels of the particular food I am using are higher than most of the other foods out there, which my Golden needs to keep weight on.

Now, I do think many pet owners do that with the foods you see on tv. They see the ads which claim that this food is recommended by so many veterinarians, or commercials that show these wonderful pieces of fresh meat and fresh vegetables, or say their food is the best thing for dogs, and then they go out and buy the food without even glancing at the ingredients list. For example, one food which always irks me is Beneful. In the commercials and on the bag you see these chunks of beef and fresh peas and carrots and grains. However if you look at the ingredients list (pet food ingredients are listed in descending order by weight) you don't even see beef listed until the FIFTH ingredient, and then it's "beef tallow" which is fat obtained in the rendering process and looks nothing like those beautiful chunks of beef (if you're looking for actual beef, it's the 7th ingredient.) Ground corn is the first ingredient. Dried peas and dried carrots don't even come in until the 20th ingredient--there is more salt in the food than peas and carrots, yet the bag doesn't show you a big heaping pile of salt, does it?

Someone mentioned that vets recommend Iams. Unfortunately the majority of vets recieve very little training in nutrition in vet school-- general vets are not nutritionists. I checked the courses offered by my state's vet school, and they only require one nutrition course, and it focuses on deficiencies and not on maintenence feeding or general nutrition. Much of the nutrition information they do recieve is often provided as seminars given by or sponsored by one of the pet food companies, usually Science Diet.
If you've been given lots of information (and sometimes free food) by a company during school, is it any surprise that you later recommend that brand of food when in practice?
Since vets do not recieve a lot of training in general nutrition in school, they often don't have a lot more info than the average pet owner, so it's also not surprising that they often recommend the same brands of food that dog owners regularly see advertised on tv-- the vets have seen the ads as well.

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dutch Angua
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dutch Angua   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmhm, true. Yet I do feel there's a lot more education on nutrition than there used to be, at least, on the Dutch vet school. Besides, a vet should know better than giving a carnivore vegetables, I think. Anyway, I would never recommend a certain popular kind of food (am I alloewd to name brands in a bad way?)
As I said, it has too much filling, too little protein and way too much salt per gram.

--------------------
Dude, where's my siggy?

Posts: 276 | From: Holland | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ravynwriter
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ravynwriter   E-mail ravynwriter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to the emergency vet this weekend because my doxie had scratched her ear bloody while I was at work. She came to me with tons of skin conditions due to neglect...she was a mass of open sores and infection. She is nearly 100% better, most in part because she is allergic to nearly every 'filler' in kibbled dog food. She's been with me six months and I've finally worked her to raw food, which has made a tremendous difference in the last few days (I had to work her up from the very crappy grocery store kibble she was on...the first two ingredients were corn and ash). Still, she's got some left over issues that have to finish clearing up, hence the scratched ear and the emergency vet.

I have to totally bite my tongue whenever I got to a vet that is not my own. Me and my vet have a very longstanding relationship, she knows how I feed my dogs and as I said in a previous post, she herself has admitted that kibble food is crap and that euthanized pets are commonly rendered. Any new vet, however...unless I want to get into a huge debate with them, I tend to bite my tongue.

This vet asked me what my doxie's diet was like. I told her she was on venison...which is true, only her venison is raw and not, as the vet assumed, a venison-based kibble food (she also doesn't just get venison, she also gets chicken, turkey, rabbit, beef, and fish...venison was just the first meat that came to my mind).

So the vet goes on (very politely) about how now that I've put my dog on venison, that's one more 'protien' that has been eliminated in her system. When I stared at her blankly she clarified, "Well, if she starts having problems with her diet to where we have to switch her to a new protein, venison has now been eliminated as a 'safe' protein for her. You know, how dogs that eat a chicken based food, if they build up an intolerance or allergy to chicken, we try and switch them to lamb, or to fish, or to a less common protien. If that happens to her, you've already eliminated the less common protien."

I just looked at her, and how she didn't realize she'd just labelled everything that was wrong with kibbled dog food. Dogs should not be set on one form of protien for so long that they develop an allergy or intolerance to it. OVEREXPOSURE is what causes the problem. If you eat nothing but chicken every day for years...you're going to start having problems with chicken. How many wild animals you see out there that eat only ONE type of protien? There aren't wolf packs that eat nothing but fish, or lions that consume nothing but zebra. They eat a variety...fish, deer, rabbit...anything they can catch.

But the vet, for all her 'nutrition' expertise, saw nothing uncommon in a dog developing a food allergy that would necessitate a switch to another form of protien. It was so common, in fact, that she felt the need to point it out to me as something she saw every day. EVERY DAY dogs are becoming intolerant to their foods...something is wrong with that picture.

My other two dogs are living proof. Having been raised on nothing but chicken based kibble dog food (not by me, I got both as grown adults) they can no longer eat poultry. Their bodies have developed an intolerance to it due to massive overexposure to chemically saturated poultry. Now they eat fresh fish, beef, lamb, and rabbit on a daily rotation.

Posts: 58 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages