snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » Snake bites off more tham it can Ch-ewe!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Snake bites off more tham it can Ch-ewe!
X-flies
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for X-flies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
G'day all,

Found this while scrolling through my usual news sites and thought it was interesting. I know it is a little off so feel free to chow me if it has appeared before.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,,20372915-5006003,00.html

Has anyone heard about the last 2 paragraphs?

Dave

--------------------
The truth lies in here.

Posts: 4 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Page Three     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. Here's an article from Der Spiegel , with a picture gallery (click on the row of three images, then click on the images to advance through the series. The snake/alligator pictures is number 6.)
WARNING: ICKY IMAGES.

Mind you, the snake and alligator washed up already dead. It's not like people stood around watching the snake go "BOOM!", so I'm not sure whether it exploded or ripped open later. [Wink]

Posts: 315 | From: Berlin, Germany | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Notice how the snake's lower jaw is unhinged in the photo linked to in the OP. Cool, isn't it?

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Page Three     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just wonder what would have happened if the sheep hadn't been removed. Okay, so the snake couldn't move. But suppose this had happened without humans picking it up, and without the python being stranded in the middle of the road. Would it just have sat around for a reeeaaally long time while the sheep was being digested, or would it have died because of the strain on some internal organ(s)? The python that swallowed the electric blanket or the one with the golf ball are obvously in trouble because of the indigestible material. But a sheep (or, as in the picture series in the article I posted, a cat) should be at least digestible, right? Even if it takes a really long time?
Posts: 315 | From: Berlin, Germany | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From the link in the OP: "Conservationists were yesterday still deciding whether to keep the 90kg snake in a zoo or release it back into the wild."

Hmm, here's a python who's going to be hungry, since we removed the last thing he ate, and we'll be the first living things he sees. This had huge Darwin Award potential.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KDS
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KDS     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Greetings,

Did they remove the sheep? The article didnt seem to say that, only that they operated on another snake after it ate a blanket. Am I reading it wrong?

--------------------
I dunno, I like the same qualities in a man as I want in a dog. Big, happy, friendly, and hairy. Not too much slobber either. ~Sue Bee

Posts: 140 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

Ooooh. You're right, KDS. I guess I thought they'd removed the sheep because the other article is so full of details about the blanket and golf ball being removed. But you're right, it didn't say that. So it'll just be a loooong digestion time, I guess.

EDIT: The blog comment on this Times Online blog is interesting. It says the python actually tried to escape capture by regurgitating the sheep, so it may have lost its lunch after all. Trying to have a look at the New Straits Times now since that's mentioned as a source, but I'm having problems loading their site...

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 303 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Has anyone heard about the last 2 paragraphs?
http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/snakegator.asp

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Page Three:
I just wonder what would have happened if the sheep hadn't been removed. Okay, so the snake couldn't move. But suppose this had happened without humans picking it up, and without the python being stranded in the middle of the road. Would it just have sat around for a reeeaaally long time while the sheep was being digested, or would it have died because of the strain on some internal organ(s)? (SNIP)

We keep a boa and a corn snake as well as some other reptiles. I have spent quite some time educating myself through reading and speaking with others including zoo keepers. This is my understanding of situations like this: The problem with a snake digesting for a really long time is that the food spoils inside the reptile. When this occurs the snake will (hopefully) regurgitate. Otherwise, the meal can prove deadly. Even regular size meals can be a problem if the snake remains too cold to properly digest the food.

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

quote:
The problem with a snake digesting for a really long time is that the food spoils inside the reptile.
Interesting. Thanks for the info!
And after reading the link snopes posted (uhm...yeah, could have looked here right away...:blush:), I guess some kind of actual explosion isn't out of the question either, what with gases developing. Urgh.

Izzy Quigley
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzy Quigley   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KDS:
Greetings,

Did they remove the sheep? The article didnt seem to say that, only that they operated on another snake after it ate a blanket. Am I reading it wrong?

Maybe they performed the Heimlich maneuver?

Sorry... [fish]

--------------------
A Viennese fellow is walking along the Karntner Strasse and notices a banana peel lying in his path. "Alas," he sighs, "now I must slip and fall down!"

Posts: 506 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
X-flies
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for X-flies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
WOW, my first spanking, and by Snopes as well ... I feel so special now.

Dave

--------------------
The truth lies in here.

Posts: 4 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages