snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » Multiple Toes = Inbred?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Multiple Toes = Inbred?
StillandSilent
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 503 posted      Profile for StillandSilent   E-mail StillandSilent   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always heard that is a cat is polydactal, it is inbred to some degree. Apparently all of Hemmingways cats have been breeding among themselves for so long, that they are showing the multiple toes from it. Any truth to this rumor? I frequently see polydactal cats at work, including one with 8 toes on each foot! [Eek!] Oh, how I wanted to call him "Octopussy"
Posts: 75 | From: Morganton NC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrekkerScout
Deck the Malls

Icon 503 posted      Profile for TrekkerScout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Polydactyly is not a sign of inbreeding. It is simply a common genetic trait among cats. For more info click here.

ETA: I've got three palydactyl cats. Two of them have an extra toe on each paw, while the third only has extra digits on the front paws. All three came from a perfectly "normal" mother (father unknown).

Posts: 306 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Neeva
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Neeva   E-mail Lady Neeva   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think part of the confusion with inbred and polydactyl cats is because it's a recessive gene, meaning each parent needs to have at least one copy, but won't show the trait unless they themselves have two copies.

Alot of people hear "recessive trait" and assume that the parents are related since they have the "same" gene.

Really since most mutations start with just one animal, they probably are... but the common ancestor is so far in the past it's meaningless... like a couple thousand years. Would be like saying all humans are inbred because of the Adam and Eve story in the bible.

Posts: 58 | From: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Neeva:
I think part of the confusion with inbred and polydactyl cats is because it's a recessive gene, meaning each parent needs to have at least one copy, but won't show the trait unless they themselves have two copies

Sorry, but you are incorrect about the mode of inheritance. Classical polydactyly in cats is a variably expressed dominant trait, meaning only one parent need have the gene in order to have poly offspring. You can cross a poly cat to an unrelated normal-footed cat and will normally get poly kittens. However, because it is an incomplete dominant, some apparantly normal-footed cats are genetically poly cats.

http://www.messybeast.com/poly-cats.html will tell you more than you probably wanted to know about poly cats and their genetics.

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Neeva
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Neeva   E-mail Lady Neeva   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I probably got it confused with a different trait... I just started reading up on cat genetics a couple months ago, and my main interest is color genetics so I probably didn't pay as much attention as I should have.

I do know that the CFA considers the trait to be a defect... which amuses me no end because, for the most part, it's a fairly benign trait as far as I've ever heard. But I'm reading that the gene which causes the ear folds in the scottish fold also causes a deformity in either the spine or the legs (I forget exactly which offhand... like I said, I'm more interested in colors lol). So I find it interesting that the ear folding gene is allowed, but polydactylism (sp?) isn't.

ETA: your link is broken... yeah I keep coming back to check because darn it, I wanna read it LOL

Posts: 58 | From: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep, Fold often causes skeletal problems of the tail and hind legs when homozygous. Manx is associated with spina bifida (it is used a a model for spina bifida and neural tube defects in the laboratory [Frown] ). Both are recognised in the US. In the UK, Fold is not recognised by the major cat fancy, but Manx is. The same cat fancy bans Poly because it might be harmful. Go figure. I have a ton of stuff online at Messybeast on colour genetics, conformation genetics etc. I've been into the cat genetics stuff for 20 years.

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ophiuchus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ophiuchus   E-mail Ophiuchus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cats are slowly evolving hands...
Soon they'll be able to open cans on their own and then they'll have no more use for us...
The revolution is coming.

Posts: 411 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's closer than you know.
 -

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The reason why you never see cats hitchhiking is that they just have small tiny thumbs and on top of that they're covered with fur.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages