snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » Winston Churchill's parrot -- still alive?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Winston Churchill's parrot -- still alive?
BOBSAERO
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 200 posted      Profile for BOBSAERO   E-mail BOBSAERO   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine has mentioned several times over the last few years,that Sir Winston Churchill's Parrott is still alive but kept from the public because it it swears constantly about Hitler.He thinks he heard this on Animal Planet.I think that would be one old bird.Has anyone heard anything of this?
Posts: 1 | From: Burlingame, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3417353.stm
found using google.com search term: Sir Winston Churchill's Parrot

--------------------
If the world were logical, men would ride sidesaddle. -Mama

I won't ask "Am I weird?" because that ship sailed long ago. -Kahuna Burger

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
or you can listen to the story on NPR:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1676150

I'd never heard of this until you mentioned it. It's an interesting tidbit.

--------------------

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surfcitydogdad     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hilarious. Thanks all. This is truly the stuff of urban legend.

--------------------
Only when we remake ourselves can we remake the world.
- Outer Limits (2001)

Posts: 559 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is, however, always a fat ginger (or marmalade) cat at Chartwell (Churchill's home before the Second World War). In Churchill's will there was a clause that said there should always be a marmalade cat at Chartwell.

Churchill's cat

A 2004 BBC story confirms the cat story, but not the parrot one.

2004 BBC 'paws and claws' story

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

I am more inclined to believe Lady Soames; it would seem that she has no reason to deny ever having the parrot-- it does not impugn her father's reputation as he was known to be a robust and clever person with a rather wicked sense of humour. I would be less inclined to believe the owner of Charlie, who has reason enough to prevaricate-- he wants his thirty seconds of fame. It is very easy to claim that someone famous once owned something you now own; I have a very old straw-stuffed velveteen elephant that I could claim belonged to Sir Winston Churchill. It is old enough to have belonged to him. There is little way to prove that it didn't.

--------------------

Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Think I'll write a story in which a man has a prized cigar given to his father by Sir Winston Churchill. A young man comes to visit him to ask for his daughter's hand in marriage and accidentally smokes the cigar....

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages