snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » Unknown creature found by soldiers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Unknown creature found by soldiers
mairzydotes
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mairzydotes   Author's Homepage   E-mail mairzydotes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://englishrussia.com/?p=251

I don't know if this has been posted before...

--------------------
I used to think the brain was the most fascinating part of the body. Then I realized, look what's telling me that. -Emo Philips

Posts: 36 | From: Chicago | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Either a fox with mange or a Skeksis.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Luka_the_Pooka
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luka_the_Pooka   E-mail Luka_the_Pooka   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like a crocodile with a different head put on.

--------------------
They left off "Attendance at Satanic Rituals will be mandatory and everyone will be required to eat a kitten, with or without ketchup." - Mouse

Posts: 65 | From: Vancouver, Washington | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Freaky. I vote a Skeksis. [Smile]

At least, for once, we have a bunch of pictures from different angles, which pretty much rules out Photoshop, which leaves staged or real. There are plenty of places to hide where you put the different parts together, so my first guess would be staged.

Perhaps a baby Godzilla? They are supposed to live around Japan.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nah... Skekses have nasty spine things coming out of their backs. It's the other critter from the Dark Crystal. [Wink] The head looks vaguely--tho not entirely--horselike, but I'm at a loss... unless it's some kind of Piltdown critter.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Komodo dragon that tried to eat a yak?

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a whale. When the fat starts to decompose it leaves behind collegen fibers which resemble hairs.

But it sure does look like a skeksis!

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In their book 'Unexplained Phenomena' (a 'Rough Guide' Special) Bob Rickard and John Michell make the point first made by Bernard Heuvelmans that every well-documented case of 'globsters' (carcases washed up on a shore) has resulted in the corpse being identified as 'an oarfish, basking shark or some well or little know cetacean'.

Although the corpse decomposes into some bizarre heap of flesh is is still easily recognisable to any competant zoologist. (They also mention the point that Horse Chestnut made about 'hairs' appearing. This occurs when the fibrous flesh decomposes once the skin has gone.)

BTW: I've no idea what a skeksis is. I can't find it any book on zoology or unknown animals. Even my Shorter OED does not mention it!

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
U.T. Raptor
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for U.T. Raptor     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Definitely a whale of some sort, imo. Too far-gone to tell what kind.

--------------------
"Elly: Oops, I'm a damsel in distress now. Better scream girlishly and all… ahem. EEEK!"

Schwarz: Look, there's three ways to do things: the right way, the wrong way, and the Ninja way.
Rey: Isn't that the wrong way?
Schwarz: Yup, only stealthier.

Posts: 546 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew of Ware, England:
In their book 'Unexplained Phenomena' (a 'Rough Guide' Special) Bob Rickard and John Michell make the point first made by Bernard Heuvelmans that every well-documented case of 'globsters' (carcases washed up on a shore) has resulted in the corpse being identified as 'an oarfish, basking shark or some well or little know cetacean'.

Although the corpse decomposes into some bizarre heap of flesh is is still easily recognisable to any competant zoologist. (They also mention the point that Horse Chestnut made about 'hairs' appearing. This occurs when the fibrous flesh decomposes once the skin has gone.)

BTW: I've no idea what a skeksis is. I can't find it any book on zoology or unknown animals. Even my Shorter OED does not mention it!

*points up a couple posts*

It's from the movie Dark Crystal. It's pretty good, give it a watch when you get the chance.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Purple Iguana. I've never seen that film - not a great cinema going, I'm afraid.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Andrew, here's a Skeksis. They were created by Jim Henson's puppeteers, and when my daughter worked for the Atlanta Puppetry Arts Center, they had one on display. They're just puppets, but pretty disturbing in a dim light.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My best guess is an orca. It's hard to find good photos online, but see here:

Skeleton #1

Skeleton #2

Orca skull

Replica orca skull

If not an orca, then some other kind of toothed whale. (I'm not familiar with all cetaceans.)
The "hair or fur" that's mentioned on the Russian website might be plant fibers, collagen fibers or simply decomposing skin.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Iguana:
Nah... Skekses have nasty spine things coming out of their backs. It's the other critter from the Dark Crystal. [Wink] The head looks vaguely--tho not entirely--horselike, but I'm at a loss... unless it's some kind of Piltdown critter.

It's a Mystic!

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mommyrex
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mommyrex     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus nippon:
My best guess is an orca. It's hard to find good photos online, but see here:

Skeleton #1

Skeleton #2

Orca skull

Replica orca skull

If not an orca, then some other kind of toothed whale. (I'm not familiar with all cetaceans.)
The "hair or fur" that's mentioned on the Russian website might be plant fibers, collagen fibers or simply decomposing skin.

I think we have a winner! Cervus Nippon, I bow to your great resourcefulness.

--------------------
We also ask that you follow the guidelines above and try not to over-think these guidelines.
- the transportation safety administration's permitted and prohibited items air travel list

Posts: 240 | From: Kansas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
charlie23
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie23   Author's Homepage   E-mail charlie23   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, a Beluga is a closer match. Note the longer beak and tooth arrangement. Several teeth appear to be broken or ground down, giving them the false appearance of molars in the carcass photo.

-
Beluga Whale Skull

Posts: 156 | From: Varna, Bulgaria | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kizzcee007
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kizzcee007   E-mail kizzcee007   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A whale of some sort too. I was looking for long limbs but couldnt see any, so if it doesnt have legs then why not fins and flippers....hey presto! a whale.
Posts: 156 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LikeHeyScoob
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LikeHeyScoob   E-mail LikeHeyScoob   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My vote is either Beluga or Pilot whale. Belugas & Pilots have pretty distinct lumps on their heads and there appears, in many of the pictures, to be a decomposing lump slung off to the side of the head. Kind of looks like a wig gone astray.

Scale is hard to judge, but looking at the picture with the men in it I would say the size is about right for a Beluga or Pilot as well.

Belugas get up to about 15-16 feet, Pilots can be up to 20 feet, and in the area specified it could be either a short-finned Pilot or a Beluga.

--------------------
Support you local community newspaper! CNN.com probably won't be covering your child's spelling bee.

Posts: 609 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's funny that it looks like those dark crystal critters though [Big Grin]

I am still not sure exactly what it is, but I vote orca as being the most likely. It could be one of those others type of toothed whale though. Hmmmmm.
I still am not 100% sure on which breed.

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The teeth and skull shape are wrong for Orca and Pilot whale, but correct for Beluga.

--------------------
Terrified, mortified, petrified, stupefied... by you!

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tuff_gong
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tuff_gong     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Found it. Poor Fran and Kukla.

http://kukla.tv/olliep.html

--------------------
"Cops Nab Co-eds in Pot Orgy"

Posts: 18 | From: Springdale, AR | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
Either a fox with mange or a Skeksis.

Wow, you're right! It does look like a Skeksis... Weird. [Eek!]

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages