snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » Polar bear handedness

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Polar bear handedness
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 500 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Are all Polar Bears left handed?

There is a common belief that they are.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Every polar bear playing in the bigs is a southpaw. Wait, shouldn't it be "northpaw" then? I almost had a gag, son -- Joke, that is.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Polar Bears have one handedness and that handedness is GRRRR.

How would you tell what an animal's handedness is? Not many animals write, and those that do don't usually take the time to try out writing with both hands/paws/feet/talons/probosci/flagelli.

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think there is a pertinent study to hand, but I would suggest this is just a folk tale. Bears i'm sure favour left or right likewe humans do and it wouldn't surprise me if there was a stat that suggested a bias one way or the other, a dominant hand after all helps 'us' to learn quicker, but i'm not prepared to believe that 'all' bears are southpaws.

Polar bears also hunt with 'both' feet, be they smashing through ice or dragging whales from blow-holes, but I wonder if there's information on brown bears? Much more studied and apt to delicate tasks such as shelling clams...

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/aprilholladay/2004-10-01-wonderquest_x.htm
quote:
I was unable to find any scientific studies of polar-bear handedness. Instead, I based my answer on anthropologist Richard Nelson's account. In the 1960s, Nelson spent about a year living with the Inupiaq in the tiny village of Wainwright.

"Inupiaq elders say polar-bears are left-handed, so you have a slightly better chance to avoid their right paw, which is slower and less accurate," says Nelson.

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Keeper of the Mad Bunnies
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keeper of the Mad Bunnies   E-mail Keeper of the Mad Bunnies   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It appears to be a folk tale, according to WonderQuest (last question on the page).

quote:
I was unable to find any scientific studies of polar-bear handedness. Instead, I base my answer on anthropologist Richard Nelson’s account. In the 1960s, Nelson spent about a year living with the Inupiaq in the tiny village of Wainwright.

"Inupiaq elders say polar-bears are left-handed, so you have a slightly better chance to avoid their right paw, which is slower and less accurate," says Nelson.

James Powell
Posts: 588 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Oh yeah! Gotta love them same quote spankings! Left paw!
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not all, the one in the Coca Cola Christmas commercial is not.

Even so, I doubt all would be, there would probably be a similar distribution as in humans. Almost all animals have left and right variants, even some sea shells are twisted the "wrong" way.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages