snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » That fish photo... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: That fish photo...
dlloyd
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dlloyd     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure everyone's seen this photo, but what sort of fish is it?

http://www.uj.ac.za/zoology/images/gallery/!Tongue%20replacement%20isopod.jpg

The bug in the fish's mouth is Cymothea exigua.

Posts: 99 | From: Dundee | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vfwchick
Deck the Malls with Boughs of Money

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vfwchick     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no idea, but you just saved me a bunch of calories. I can't finish my breakfast after looking at that. [Big Grin]

--------------------
God bless our Troops!
If you can't stand behind our troops, please, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 380 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sheepshead bream by the look of the teeth...

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dlloyd
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dlloyd     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like it...

-

Posts: 99 | From: Dundee | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nicki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicki     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
EEwww, I've never seen it. What the heck is that in it's mouth?
Posts: 332 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[Eek!] It's not the fish that gets me, it's the fact that on a 17 inch monitor, the damned thing looks big enough to swallow my head.

Only to find out four posts later that it has only a 1 cm maw.

Whew!

Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James of Maine
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James of Maine     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicki:
EEwww, I've never seen it. What the heck is that in it's mouth?

Some kind of sea louse, perhaps--either a meal or a parasite?
Posts: 48 | From: near Portland, Maine | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a parasite - Cymothoa exigua, according to the OP...

It eats the fish's tongue and proceeds to exist off the fish's blood and food particles.

--------------------

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dlloyd
I Saw Three Shipments

-
 -
 -
 -
 -

dlloyd
I Saw Three Shipments

quote:
Originally posted by UEL:
[Eek!] It's not the fish that gets me, it's the fact that on a 17 inch monitor, the damned thing looks big enough to swallow my head.

Only to find out four posts later that it has only a 1 cm maw.

Whew!

It was the size of the guy's fingers that were bothering me...
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I only found the parasite to be interesting- here's a link from Discovery Channel on it.

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phaedra
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phaedra   E-mail Phaedra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wasn't so intersested in the parasite I was spooked by the teeth on that fish.
Even though it's called a sheepshead bream I think they look human and it gives me the creeps. I also want to know if all bream have teeth like that because whole grilled bream is a restaurant favourite of mine and this could put me right of 'em.

Posts: 589 | From: Oxfordshire, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Polyeth12

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Polyeth12     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The fish might be a Pacu. I heard on the news a few weeks ago that some people in Texas caught one while fishing. Here's some articles on it: http://cbs4boston.com/local/local_story_208095730.html
http://www.kolr10.com/news/default.asp?mode=shownews&id=5891

Posts: 33 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Giselle

Icon 22 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a feeling Syllavus is gonna think the little guy in the mouth is cute. I know I do.

--------------------
Ralphie, get off the stage sweetheart.

Posts: 2041 | From: Yuba City, California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Doubtful Polyeth' - Pacu are freshwater fish whereas our parasite is a marine dweller - I think [Wink]

--------------------

Barns & No Bull
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, the parasite is a marine isopod. The fish is not a pacu. The teeth and face are wrong, in addition to the wrong environment.

--------------------
Terrified, mortified, petrified, stupefied... by you!

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Leapin' ... er ... sheepshead bream!

First of all, the human-like teeth freaked me out. Then, I scrolled down to see that parasite.

This is the second new thing I've learned on snopes today.

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Giselle

Icon 105 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Barns its good to see you back!

--------------------

Posts: 2041 | From: Yuba City, California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
underfire and overrated
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for underfire and overrated     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
About the species of fish, according to the article that Ana Ng posted, that parasite only feeds on snappers. So is that fish some kind of snapper?

quote:
The parasite, which does not harm humans, only appears to feed on snapper, Luttjanus guttatus.

--------------------
I'm not a beautiful and unique snowflake! I am the all-singing all-dancing crap of the world.

Posts: 111 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nicki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicki     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh man, I am soooo glad I don't eat seafood. I know for sure that I'll never start now.
Posts: 332 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by THRILLHO:
Barns its good to see you back!

Thanks. Do I know you?

--------------------

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Giselle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to be "Giselle" if that helps.

--------------------

Barns & No Bull

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That fish is not Lutjanus guttatus.

It does look like a Sheepshead, which is better classed as a Porgy rather than Bream.

Don't think freshwater fish are exempt from the chamber of horrors. There are parasitic copepods (crustaceans) that gnaw away at flesh and one that anchors itself to the host with growing tendrils that burrow into the flesh just like tree roots.

--------------------

Barns & No Bull

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Giselle [Smile]

--------------------

Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicki:
Oh man, I am soooo glad I don't eat seafood. I know for sure that I'll never start now.

Yeah, the parasites that exist in pork and beef are small enough that we can ignore them when we put them in our mouths.

Seriously though, it's off-putting at first, but in the end it's nature.

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AliBaba

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliBaba   E-mail AliBaba   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite obviously, it's a dork fish. [fish]

Between the chompers on that thing and parasite in it's mouth, it will be a while before I eat anything...

Ali "here's your sign" Baba

Posts: 3068 | From: Kensington, MD | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vanilla
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vanilla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AliBaba:
Quite obviously, it's a dork fish. [fish]

Somehow or another, my husband and I have been calling each other dork-fishes for...well, ever since we started dating.

It's nice to see what one finally looks like!

[fish] Ow! Didn't need to see it that close! [lol]

--------------------
I swear, it was funnier in my head.
Yeah, I used to be pink. vanilla_pink.

Posts: 2493 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, crap. It's smiling at me.
Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Having done some fishing when I was a kid, I can't remember ever seeing a fish with a tongue. Is may memory wrong or do fish lack tongues (which would kind of debunk the parasite)?

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ratboy
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ratboy   E-mail Ratboy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
Having done some fishing when I was a kid, I can't remember ever seeing a fish with a tongue. Is may memory wrong or do fish lack tongues (which would kind of debunk the parasite)?

Most fishes do have a tongue, says this site.
Posts: 144 | From: Sweden | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
biol-nerd

Icon 1 posted      Profile for biol-nerd     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
hehe, did anyone else notice the marine researcher in the Discovery channel link was a Mr. Gilligan?

--------------------
truth and beauty

Posts: 19 | From: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hyla Cinerea

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hyla Cinerea     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, fish do have tongues. I worked behind a seafood counter for a few years. What is really strange, is that some fish seem to have teeth on their tongues. I used to show the kids the four 'teeth' found on a salmon tongue. Sharp little things too.

--------------------

Posts: 48 | From: Portland, Maine | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
medtchva
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for medtchva   E-mail medtchva   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That is just wild.. thanks for the story!
Posts: 229 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Polyeth12

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Polyeth12     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea:
Doubtful Polyeth' - Pacu are freshwater fish whereas our parasite is a marine dweller - I think [Wink]

D'oh! And I really thought I was on to something.
A fish slap seems appropriate for me... [fish]

Posts: 33 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm envious of the straight teeth on those fish. I had to wear braces for over 2 years, and my teeth still aren't that straight.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages