snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » Wolf + Mange = Hyena

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wolf + Mange = Hyena
Barns & No Bull
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 101 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here we go again. Another wild American canid with sarcoptic mange has been seen and described as a hyena by local folks. This time it's a wolf in Minnesota. Veteran snopesters will remember mangy foxes being called hyenas (what is this a default identification flaw with the human brain?), kangaroos and muntjacs (a mini deer).

I often wonder what folks would say if they saw a real hyena with mange.

"It's hard to say just why, but that's what it looks like," said Kathi Johnson, of Hovland, Minnesota

...it's easy to say just why Kathi is crazy.

This does not look like a hyena!

-

--------------------
Terrified, mortified, petrified, stupefied... by you!

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it might be the cousin of the Glyndon mystery creature.

http://www.lorencoleman.com/summer_2004.html

Lydia "I used to live next to Glyndon" Oh Lydia

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For comparison, an actual hyena:

-

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull

Icon 201 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lydia Oh Lydia:

We called out every one of those suckers shown on Coleman's page, right here on snopes.

--------------------

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The link was added for humor.

[Smile]

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Everything about Loren Coleman is funny to me.

--------------------

Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is butt-ugly pooch a valid scientific name ?

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barns & No Bull:
quote:
Originally posted by Lydia Oh Lydia:

We called out every one of those suckers shown on Coleman's page, right here on snopes.
For my benefit, where would I find that thread?

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst hringi
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
PQ, I would tell you to search in both animal forums and the photo forum using "mange". But that will find messages where snopesters use the phrase "fox with mange", which has become common after those threads. You might try "sarcoptic" as a search word. I think there were 3-4 threads and they might now be archived.

At least with the new airport ban, we won't have folks misidentifying water bottles as snakes.

--------------------

Thera
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thera   E-mail Thera   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel sorry for the animals afflicted with this. They must be miserable.
Posts: 100 | From: Georgia | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Toto
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toto   E-mail Toto   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel sorry for the people who get the calls and then have to go find the poor creatures.

To"what's the difference between a wild dog a wolf again"to

--------------------
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

Posts: 35 | From: Kansas | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Anyte
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Anyte   E-mail Anyte   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
These must be people who have never seen a hyena. Or a picture of a hyena. Or The Lion King. I mean, if I were trying to describe a hyena, one of the things I would mention would be that it has spots! Unless they think it's a hyena with mange. No fur=no spots.

--------------------
Too broke to pay attention

Posts: 452 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 08 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
PQ, I would tell you to search in both animal forums and the photo forum using "mange". But that will find messages where snopesters use the phrase "fox with mange", which has become common after those threads. You might try "sarcoptic" as a search word. I think there were 3-4 threads and they might now be archived.

I'd been wondering how that whole "fox with mange" business started!

--------------------
So many books, so little time.

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nope, not there. Must have been archived. Just satisfy my curiosity for me, what's this one?

--------------------
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pikey Queen:
Nope, not there. Must have been archived. Just satisfy my curiosity for me, what's this one?

IMHO, that looks photoshopped. The hindquarters are far too heavy for the front. I'd say fox and mountain lion blended.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

That is a Common Gray Fox with early onset sarcoptic mange.

--------------------

Barns & No Bull

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
More...

-

This is a reasonably tricky ID for folks. It doesn't yet look like a diseased animal. But because it has lost all of its longer fur, it looks unlike anything typical. The fox has lost all of its "bushyness". But the general color and face markings remain distinct.

As the disease advances, it starts to look really bad. The fur will be lost all the way to the skin. That's when folks start calling them chupacabras and aardvarks.

--------------------

The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Thanks. Is it possible it's pregnant? That belly looks very heavy for a fox. I could be wrong, we have different foxes over here [Smile]

--------------------
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, look what the fox with mange dragged in. Welcome back, B&NB.
Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull

Icon 201 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Thanks. Is it possible it's pregnant? That belly looks very heavy for a fox. I could be wrong, we have different foxes over here [Smile]

I think there were more photos of that gray fox and it appeared she was lactating and had already given birth. The sad part is that her entire litter becomes infected.

Yes, UK has the Red Fox and so do we. Here is a red fox with mange...

-

--------------------

Ophiuchus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ophiuchus   E-mail Ophiuchus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ironically, Hyena are more cat than dog. But you never heard of a puma or leapord being mistaken for a hyena.
Posts: 411 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chickee Daizy
Live and Let Madai

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chickee Daizy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ophiuchus:
Ironically, Hyena are more cat than dog. But you never heard of a puma or leapord being mistaken for a hyena.

Ophiuchus, I did not know that! Thanks for that info.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkies...They don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Posts: 907 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Luka_the_Pooka
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luka_the_Pooka   E-mail Luka_the_Pooka   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not all hyenas are spotted, though - they come in striped:

-

-

And brown:

-

-

Perhaps the slope of the shoulders make the wolf look a bit like a hyena?

--------------------
They left off "Attendance at Satanic Rituals will be mandatory and everyone will be required to eat a kitten, with or without ketchup." - Mouse

Posts: 65 | From: Vancouver, Washington | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I found an archived thread on this here.

Another

--------------------

tagurit
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 06 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, the poor things. Makes me want to start up a canid scabies capture, dip, and release program... wonder how I go about getting funding.

ETA: that I'm not particularly serious about the program, but I just think the condition of those animals is so sad.

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ophiuchus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ophiuchus   E-mail Ophiuchus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

This is my favorite hyena picture.

Posts: 411 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
charlie23
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie23   Author's Homepage   E-mail charlie23   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Everything about Loren Coleman is funny to me.

I don't find Loren particularly funny, but some of the people who leave comments on his blog are ignorant enough to be frightening. Dead dogs and whales just leave me shaking my head.
Posts: 156 | From: Varna, Bulgaria | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages