snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » Many dog owners in Korea love dog soup (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Many dog owners in Korea love dog soup
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well pigs are close enough that one day we may be able to get replacement parts from them. Their livers can be used to give a boost to someone with a failing liver.

Personally I despise chicken and pork. I find chicken too blah, and pork too smelly. Steaks are too meaty and make me uncomfy when I eat them. Ground beef is fine, all else my stomach rebels. >_>

I would definately not eat human if it tasted like pork. I wouldn't mind trying weird meat though if it was something that was decribed not tasting like either of those two meats.

My not eating much types of meat besides crab and such is more a personal taste that aught else. I'd try dog or cat if it was offered just for the fun of it.

The cruelty though, is certainly objectionable. On a moral basis though, just because I think of it as a companion animal wouldn't stop me from trying it. Then again, I am weird. Well, maybe not cat because I think of my BIL's cat spitting hairballs up everywhere. BLECH!

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about Korea, but when I was in Canton (PRC) market a few years ago, there were dogs, cats snakes and whatever else in cages. The customer would select the animal, and the vendor would slaughter it on the spot.

There is a tradition in China that anything that is more than an hour dead is not fresh.

Never witnessed a dog or cat actually getting it, but I did see a snake skinned alive. Pretty unpleasant.

No way of telling if the animals were farmed, or rounded up off the streets, but the former would seem to be simpler.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd eat snakes if they weren't poisonous. Like on Weird meat they had linked to an article about how several people eatting snakes had been bitten by their dinner

--------------------

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not the people eating snakes that have to worry about getting bitten; It's the people who catch them.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dog soup is tasty good, and full of all kinds of herbs and spices that I've never had anywhere else.

It's a real munchkin of mine (hey! first time I've gotten to use that here!) when people make jokes about Koreans catching Fido from their neighbor's yard and making stew out of him.

The dogs are a specific breed that are bred and ranched for the purpose of going to slaughter. They look like a cross between a yellow lab and a German shepherd, and the Koreans call them ddong gae, or "shit dog".

Now, I cannot make any defense about the method of slaughter. Out in the country, they do some pretty gnarly stuff to those dogs while killing them in an attempt to get the adreniline into their muscle tissue.

--------------------
Towknie: Ryda-certified as wonderful, enlighted, and rational.

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I could never bring myself to eat dog meat. I just couldn't do it. Actually, I won't eat meat from a type of animal I've owned as a pet...it just seems wrong. Luckily, it's illegal to keep chickens or pigs as pets here in the city [Wink]

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DaGuyWitBluGlasses
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaGuyWitBluGlasses     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Soup? Why?

you're supposed to wok the dog!

Posts: 201 | From: Toronto, ON | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ink Rose:
I'd eat snakes if they weren't poisonous. Like on Weird meat they had linked to an article about how several people eatting snakes had been bitten by their dinner

I don't think I would eat a poisonous snake, either. But I would eat a venomous one. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrigan
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morrigan   E-mail Morrigan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now, I'm just wondering something...

For PetLover, and some others, if you won't eat a companion animal, such as a dog or cat, but will eat a cow or pig, for example, how do you feel about eating horse?

Morrigan

--------------------
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost, Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening

Posts: 1701 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

No way would I eat horse though, now that I think about it. I do like horses and I've heard the meat just ain't worth the amount of chewing. I never liked chicken to begin with, but after I hatched chicks I said what the heck. I love eggs, and I'd rather keep 'em around to do some laying then eat 'em anyways.

I also would love a pet pig, if I had a nice yard.

--------------------

pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NeeCD:
Well, there are edible cat's feet...

quote:
Noun 1. cat's feet - low-growing perennial herb having leaves with whitish down and clusters of small white flowers
Not to mention solitary pussytoes, field pussytoes, and plantain-leaved pussytoes...
What about cameltoes? [fish]

quote:
Originally posted by Nocturnal Goddess: In The Backseat:
LLewtrah, human tastes like seasoned rump roast, from what I gather from reading interveiws with people who have engaged in cannibalism.

Most humans ACT like seasoned rump roast, so that makes sense. [Big Grin]

I had the chance to eat dog hotpot once, and I came close, but I just couldn't do it. I've known too many dogs; it seemed vaguely like cannibalism. Now a cat . . . I'd eat a cat in a minute.

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ophiuchus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ophiuchus   E-mail Ophiuchus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I went out to Chinatown yesterday and found that turtles (those red-earred box turtles) are a very common food. There were whole buckets full of butchered turtles. In one shop there were still some live ones and they were crawling on top of the fish. The man who worked there turned them upside down to get them to stop walking, but they eventually got right again and were crawling on the fish once again.
Posts: 411 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
liebeslied
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liebeslied     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Towknie:
and the Koreans call them ddong gae, or "shit dog".

That is not an appetizing name.
[Confused]

Posts: 105 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages