snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » Many dog owners in Korea love dog soup (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Many dog owners in Korea love dog soup
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 23 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Man's best friend is still a tasty dish to South Korean dog owners, according to a poll showing that one in three canine lovers also eats dog soup.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0807DogSoup07-ON.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
EthanMitchell
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EthanMitchell   E-mail EthanMitchell   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
County fair just started here, and all the 4H kids and FFA kids are showing their pet calves with the shampooed bits and ribbons. I would be shocked, simply shocked to find that any of those kids eat hamburger.
Posts: 330 | From: New Haven, VT | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Americans also don't seem to feel any conflict about keeping rabbits as pets and eating them in stews.
I love regaling a squeamish audience with a list of all the interesting meats I tried in Africa. Just because you're used to seeing a particular creature as a pet or zoo attraction doesn't mean it can't also be dinner.

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Rubber Chicken
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Rubber Chicken   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dog isn't bad. It actually doesn't taste much different than beef. Anyway, I own a dog, and I didn't have any issues about trying dog meat.

--------------------
Visit my blog, Websurdity... the Weird, the Bizarre, the Silly, the Absurd.

Posts: 716 | From: Seoul, South Korea | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dutch Angua
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dutch Angua   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We owned pet chickens for years. And we still ate chicken.

--------------------
Dude, where's my siggy?

Posts: 276 | From: Holland | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mastershake
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mastershake   E-mail mastershake   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder how many feed the leftover dog stew to their dogs?

--------------------
"Most people don't find me nearly as funny as I find me."

Posts: 55 | From: Philadelphia | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ovalescent

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ovalescent   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ovalescent   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
With my experience in dog-related industries, my main issue would be whether or not the dogs were killed humanely.

How do they go about butchering dogs for meat, exactly? Do they breed them specifically for it, or is it a matter of just fattening up strays? So many dogs get put down every day in the US that using them as meat makes more sense than just incinerating them, to me.

--------------------
"You're all suffering from trauma because it was so boring in the womb!"

Posts: 837 | From: Now LIVE from Arkansas! | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's my understanding that in many cases there are actual dog farms, with some breeds particularly prized for their flesh to feed ratio in the same way that we have cattle that are bred to gain weight with less feed (as opposed to dairy cattle which do not have the thick build and fat padding of beef cattle). I'm not sure how they would do it on a local butcher level, but as long as the animals are humanely raised and killed I just can't bring myself to condemn the practice, even though I am a dog person.

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't have issues if the rearing and slaughter is humane. Sadly there is still the belief in some areas that if an animal is killed slowly and painfully its meat will taste better. Many methods of killing dog (and cat) can therefore be very unpleasant.

I've also done the African Safari "see it, photograph it, eat it" thing. Tsavo National Park is not cattle/sheep country so you eat the more abundant native species just as other top predators do.

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mnotr2
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mnotr2   E-mail mnotr2   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*The following is based on my outdated experience in Korea. I was there in '81/82*

Humane means different things in different parts of the world. Very little of what I observed in Korean meat markets was what we would call humane (or sanitary for that matter). IIRC they didn't just pick up strays, but bred dogs for meat.

Po shin tang (Dog Soup) actually tastes pretty good, and is a dish that's tradionally served in the spring and is supposed to give you energy and health for the year.

--------------------
Infinite goodness is creating a being you know, in advance, is going to complain.
Captain Billy Cutshaw

Posts: 582 | From: Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PetLover
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PetLover     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this whole thread is disgusting... I can't believe that anyone with a dog can think this is normal. I understand in different parts of the world different foods are common- but the way cats are skinned alive, and dogs are beaten to death. Humane means nothing.
Posts: 21 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Normal" is a relative concept, though, PetLover. There are a whole lot of Hindus who find the eating of cow to be abhorrent.

Who's right?

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did I miss a link? Where are they skinning cats while they are still alive or beating dogs to death for food?

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They hack off a paw at a time. It's really fresh meat.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, there are edible cat's feet...

quote:
Noun 1. cat's feet - low-growing perennial herb having leaves with whitish down and clusters of small white flowers
Not to mention solitary pussytoes, field pussytoes, and plantain-leaved pussytoes...

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

quote:
Originally posted by NeeCD:
Well, there are edible cat's feet...

quote:
Noun 1. cat's feet - low-growing perennial herb having leaves with whitish down and clusters of small white flowers
Not to mention solitary pussytoes, field pussytoes, and plantain-leaved pussytoes...
You are a sick, sick human being....

wait...you're not a human! A truly humane human would never eat plants! It's just not "normal." [Wink]

--------------------

PetLover
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PetLover     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They are right! Cows are VERY intelligent animals. You're all so gross it's not worth my time explaining anything to such ignorant people.

Bye!

Posts: 21 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey petlover try to explain the amount of animal protein needed to keep the fields fertile enough to feed all the vegetarians out there.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

quote:
Originally posted by PetLover:
They are right! Cows are VERY intelligent animals. You're all so gross it's not worth my time explaining anything to such ignorant people.

Bye!

A #6? Oh man. Foiled again.

--------------------

Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lazerus the duck:
Hey petlover try to explain the amount of animal protein needed to keep the fields fertile enough to feed all the vegetarians out there.

Why would you need animal protein? Plants can synthesize proteins perfectly well on their own when provided with inorganic fertilizers.

Also, I'm going to join those saying that keeping an animal as a pet while eating others of its kind or even other similar species is hypocritical.

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What Troodon said. Eating meat instead of veggies is actually very, very inefficient in terms of the energy it takes. IIRC 1 ton of cow meat requires something like 10 tons of grain. In fact, the primary reason we don't eat carnivores like cats isn't that they would taste gross or anything (tuna and salmon are carnivores and taste delicious) but because the resources required to herd enough cats to eat them as a staple would be stupendous.

Personally, I draw the line at eating dog but at the same time I can definitely appreciate that they could be pretty tasty. Pigs are pretty cute but I do likes me some pork. For that matter, cows would be kind of cute if they weren't so huge. Chickens are just annoying with their clucking and pecking at everything that looks feed- or worm-like. I guess that makes them okay to eat.

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mnotr2
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 23 posted      Profile for mnotr2   E-mail mnotr2   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Herding cats, that's funny.
[lol] [lol] [lol]

Mnot - Yipee ki yay get along little doggie, er, sorry kitty - r2

--------------------
Infinite goodness is creating a being you know, in advance, is going to complain.
Captain Billy Cutshaw

Posts: 582 | From: Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like my food is reared and dispatched humanely. I'll eat fresh roadkill (if it is an accepted food species) as that has died acidentally. When I see how many animals languish in shelters - some of them really substandard in terms of adequate or appropriate housing - and are killed through lack of a home, it does seem pretty wasteful in terms of usable protein. But it's all relative. Hindus revere cows and mostly won't eat them and view western treatment of cattle as cruel. I know some who distinguish between sacred cows and McD's burger cows in order to eat beef withoug feeling guilty. Many westerners keep cats, dogs, rabbits etc as pets and won't eat those as they are "family".

While animals may have to die to feed the human predator, there is no reason they should be subjected to unnecessary cruelty to feed us.

Personally I couldn't eat cat (they are "family"), but I could probably eat human as I have less affinity for that species.

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mnotr2:
Herding cats, that's funny.
[lol] [lol] [lol]

It is.

I would have to be on the verge of death from starvation before I would consider eating a dog or cat - not because it's inherently any different from using any other animal for food, but simply because in my mind dogs and cats are companions, not livestock. The bottom line is that any animal can be a source of protein - it's your culture that distinguishes which ones you can and can't eat.

As others have said, the issue with dog meat is mainly to do with the inhumane slaughtering methods.

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dutch Angua
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dutch Angua   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I second the last sentence. It's also one of the reasons why I hate it that people eat sharks. They just reel it in, chop the fins of and throw what's left of it back in the sea. VERY cruel.
I don't mind people eating whatever kind of meat, if the rearing and killing is humane.

--------------------
Dude, where's my siggy?

Posts: 276 | From: Holland | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch Angua:
It's also one of the reasons why I hate it that people eat sharks.

Well, shark fin soup, actually - that's where the practise of removing the fins comes in. As for eating shark in general, many Aussies have done that - gummy shark is dished up in fish-and-chip shops as 'flake' (It's fillets, not fins, so it's just like eating any other fish).

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ophiuchus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ophiuchus   E-mail Ophiuchus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pigs are extremely intelligent animals, probably smarter than cats or dogs. They are also more closely related to humans than those two animals, I might be mistaken here but I am fairly sure I can recall that being so.

People adore pigs, we have them in Green Acres, Babe, Charlotte's Web and many other children's places or potrayed as adorable. They are not a high common pet, but they are not totally uncommon either...

And you know what? Pork, bacon, ham... we eat them so often we have different names for all the various parts of them we commonly eat (unless you are Jewish or Muslim, and they avoid it because they declare them 'dirty').

Now, mind you I am under the assumption that predators probably don't make very good eating meat. However, if our culture can have such views about some animals, there is no reason that other cultures can't have similar views about others.

Posts: 411 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?
Carol of the Dells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ophiuchus I had a friend who loved dogs so much that when he learned that pigs were as smart as dogs, he swore off everything pig. He said "I wouldn't eat my dog, and eating a pig would be just like doing that.

Llewtrah I agree. In fact, I'm actually curious to try human meat. Maybe I could order something off ManBeef... [lol]

--------------------
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, EVIL stuff... and I want in."- Homer Simpson

Posts: 2161 | From: Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nocturnal Goddess: In The Backseat:
Llewtrah I agree. In fact, I'm actually curious to try human meat. Maybe I could order something off ManBeef... [lol]

Apparently it's like pork as both creatures are omnivores. In the hospital, when there was cauterisation happening, the smell was like bacon sizzling. And another name for human is allegedly "long pig" (or 2-legged pork) alluding to the flavour.

I find the flavour of lamb or beef unpleasant, but I find the taste of pig (free range, humanely reared and dispatched) palatable. In fact I find it a sort of neutral non-taste. Having said that, the number of times I eat any sort of meat in a month is usually in single figures.

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dog Meat Popular with North Korean Women

Dog meat is increasingly popular among women in North Korea because the traditional Korean delicacy is believed to be good for the skin.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060809/D8JD46IG0.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dutch Angua
Deck the Malls

quote:
Well, shark fin soup, actually - that's where the practise of removing the fins comes in. As for eating shark in general, many Aussies have done that - gummy shark is dished up in fish-and-chip shops as 'flake' (It's fillets, not fins, so it's just like eating any other fish).

Mea culpa

--------------------
Dude, where's my siggy?

Freshman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freshman   Author's Homepage   E-mail Freshman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with Johnny Slick: Pigs are indeed cute and I remember petting a cow back in pre school that was sleeping and looked quite peaceful, but somehow I just can't make a connection between those live animals and meat..

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Posts: 1056 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dutch Angua
Deck the Malls

Pigs are nice, though, as I've learned from experience, VERY stubborn.
Piggy wanted to go THAT way, and the fact that I was standing there with no possibility to move was not her problem.
God, I love them...

--------------------
Dude, where's my siggy?

Spamamander in a pear tree

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm the opposite... pigs are the only livestock type animal I am terrified of. Part of it I know comes from my 4-H days watching my friends show their market hogs... you guide the pigs around the pen with a wooden cane (you just can't make a pig stand still!) and they would have to have people standing by with wide boards to shove in between the pigs when they started fighting. Between those and seeing really ticked off sows I developed a healthy fear of them. They taste awfully good though.

I love cows though. Specifically beef cattle... I never found dairy cattle to be as cuddly (though Jersey calves look like fawns, so adorable). I still don't have any qualms with having that nice slab of medium-rare prime rib swimming in its juices on my plate!

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?
Carol of the Dells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
LLewtrah, human tastes like seasoned rump roast, from what I gather from reading interveiws with people who have engaged in cannibalism. It is slightly different, but not so different as to be distinctive.

There's always hofu [Smile]

--------------------
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, EVIL stuff... and I want in."- Homer Simpson

Posts: 2161 | From: Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages