snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » Put butter on cats paws to keep them from wandering? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Put butter on cats paws to keep them from wandering?
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 503 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hubby told me one I never heard before. He says he was told that if you put butter on the paws of a cat they will be less likely to wander away. The reason he says is because a cat will call wherever it cleans itself home. Hence by putting butter on, you are encouraging the cat to clean and it will associate where it is as home and not wander to far away.

I googled and I found plenty that agree that it is a legend but I didn't find it on the main board or the message board.

Am I the only one that never heard this one?

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
EthanMitchell
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EthanMitchell   E-mail EthanMitchell   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you don't want them to wander, put superglue on their paws.
Posts: 330 | From: New Haven, VT | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Page Three     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooh that's a really old one. I first saw it in a Norman Thelwell cartoon collection called "Magnificat" when I was about 6, and the book was old then... although he interpreted it as the cat's paws just being too slippery to go anywhere at all. [Wink]
Posts: 315 | From: Berlin, Germany | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kitoboo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitoboo   E-mail kitoboo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Since most cats tend to clean themselves after they eat I think just making sure the food dish is full will keep most cats at home.

Kitoboo

Posts: 399 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mycroft
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mycroft   E-mail Mycroft   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the real reason is that most cats love butter, and finding somewhere with a butter supply will stay there in hope of more to come
Posts: 135 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
martin-at-work

Icon 1 posted      Profile for martin-at-work   E-mail martin-at-work   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mum used to say that the cat would immediately clean its paws, thus picking up the scent of home, so if it did wander off into unfamiliar territory it could find its way home more easily.

I think that it gives the cat something to do so it's not stressing about the new environment. Then by the time its finished, it thinks "Whew. Worn out from all that licking. My family is still here I see, might be time for a catnap."

Posts: 183 | From: Brisbane, Oz. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
tribrats I had never heard of that either. When I had a cat I didn't anything like this to keep her from wandering. She just wasn't interested in going outside.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
See... this is why I'm a dog person. Dogs are pack animals. While the odd dog will run off and get lost, it's not generally in a dog's nature to wander far from home.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
EthanMitchell, I think Hubby liked this method best [lol] .
Rhiandmoi, I'm glad I'm not alone.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Captain Zombie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Zombie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Captain Zombie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On the subject of cats: My mother used to tell me that if you tie a scarf or something around a cat's middle, they will be unable to run away.
I don't have any cats, hence, I am unable to test this theory.
the context of this is; my mother used to have a problem with grooming her cats, because they would run away, so she either heard about this method, or devised it on her own...
Has anyone ever heard this before, or tried it?

--------------------
1st Infantry, SpecialOps Brigade - The Iron Faction.
I survived Initiation 2005... with Naked Mole Rat Sumotori and Bill O'Reilly

Posts: 264 | From: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As a child I learned if you put tape on their paws they freak out and flick their feet a lot. And if you put a small piece of tape on their back, they will walk with their back bowed really low to the ground, like the tape weighs 10 pounds.
Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ariadne
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ariadne   E-mail Ariadne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magpie:
As a child I learned if you put tape on their paws they freak out and flick their feet a lot. And if you put a small piece of tape on their back, they will walk with their back bowed really low to the ground, like the tape weighs 10 pounds.

I still do the tape-on-the paws trick on my cats once in a while. It never stops being hilarious. I haven't tried tape on the back though...hmmm...[eyes peacefully sleeping cat with evil grin...]

--------------------
saxea ut effigies bacchantis prospicit eheu | prospicit et magnis curarum fluctuat undis
-Catullus

Posts: 435 | From: Iowa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Check out the cat tape tricks video on this page:
http://www.amazingcatcollection.com/videos.php?page=10

Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never used a piece of tape that big. That looks like it would be painful to take off!
Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
paisley claus
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paisley claus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That video reminds me of when I was little and I'd put doll clothes on my cat...he wouldn't even walk, he'd just fall over [lol]

--------------------
"Oh, now we're going to start judging each other on things we've done?? Real fair!"

Posts: 1114 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lonely Mountain
Jingle All the Layaway

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Lonely Mountain   E-mail Lonely Mountain   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Zombie:
On the subject of cats: My mother used to tell me that if you tie a scarf or something around a cat's middle, they will be unable to run away.
I don't have any cats, hence, I am unable to test this theory.
the context of this is; my mother used to have a problem with grooming her cats, because they would run away, so she either heard about this method, or devised it on her own...
Has anyone ever heard this before, or tried it?

My friend and I did this once with his cat. We used a sock. What happened was really weird with this cat. It would try to run around but her front and back legs seemed to be out of sync and so she was stumbling around. She looked like a drunk kitty and it kept us entertained for a while. [Smile]

--------------------
"Tis too much proved that with devotion's visage and pious action we do sugar o'er the devil himself." - Hamlet

Posts: 344 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KatrinaDuck
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KatrinaDuck   E-mail KatrinaDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What if said cat *doesn't* clean his paws? Then you've got buttery footprints on the sofa, and you know they're going to stink once they past the expiration date.
Seriously, though... I know it's off-topic, but what DO you do when a cat doesn't clean their paws? Mine had nervous traits (constant licking of one place until it was bald, and not washing other places) until I finally got her home, and, though the hair's grown back, her front paws are always dirty. I'm at a loss.

--------------------
It is, after all, the dab of grit that seeps into an oyster's shell that makes the pearl, not pearl-making seminars with other oysters. -Stephen King

Posts: 481 | From: North Brunswick, NJ | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 08 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had never heard the butter thing before. In my experience, cats clean themselves constantly where ever they go so that makes everwhere home. The only surefire way to keep a cat home is to not let it out the door.

I'll often take a piece of tape and stick it on the end of my cat's tail. She'll chase it until she "catches" it. She must enjoy the game, because she often comes running up meowing when she sees me using the tape dispenser!

--------------------
So many books, so little time.

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
piyokochan
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for piyokochan   E-mail piyokochan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My cat loves tape for some reason; he steals the tape dispenser, pulls off the tape, and has a ball when it gets stuck to his paws. I think giving him tape would give him more incentive to run away, because then he could have it allll to himself, and could try to pull it all off the roll without anyone stopping him.

--------------------
"Shakespeare and Dante divide the world between them. There is no third." - T. S. Eliot

Posts: 77 | From: New Milford, CT | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The variation on butter is to use Marmite. I had an old cat that used to wander. She ended up outside a local shop and the people who phoned me mentioned the Marmite thing. I pointed out that my cat had gone senile and the only thing that kept her from wandering was keeping her caged. I confined her to an enclosure when she was outdoors, but she also started house-soiling.

Cats will sit and clean as long as they feel safe. Thenie doesn't like butter. I tried crushing a tablet in butter and putting it on the furry bit of a paw (according to the vet nurse most cats will clean it off as it annoys them), but she just let it go cement-like rather than lick it off. I hd to shave the fur off!

I tried the ribbon round the waist game on some of my cats. Most used to roll around and get cross with it. Sappho had to have pressure bandage round her after abdominal surgery. Eventually she got used it and managed to ignore it though she was furious about it.

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oceanic Aura
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oceanic Aura   Author's Homepage   E-mail Oceanic Aura   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to contribute absolutely nothing to this discussion other than to say that I find it very awesome that you have a cat named Sappho. [lol]

--------------------
"Are we talking misdemeanor trouble or squeal like a pig trouble?"

Posts: 618 | From: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course if you use enough butter and have a tile floor, they can't even stand up, let alone run out on you.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lawgiver
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lawgiver   E-mail Lawgiver   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magpie:

Also, if you put tape across their forehead, they will run backwards like trying to get out of a box.

On the subjest of putting butter on their paws. I had always heard you put butter on their paws or nose to help with hairballs. It keeps them from hacking them up as much.

--------------------
I looked at my sleeping husband and longed to plunge my elbow through his peaceful face. ~ Annissa

Posts: 381 | From: Nashville | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by paisley:
That video reminds me of when I was little and I'd put doll clothes on my cat...he wouldn't even walk, he'd just fall over [lol]

My previous cat would do this if you put a harness on her... She would just fall onto her side and refuse to get up at all. If you somehow managed to make her get up, she'd slink and walk as if her paws were hobbled, and not very far.

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oceanic Aura:
I'm going to contribute absolutely nothing to this discussion other than to say that I find it very awesome that you have a cat named Sappho. [lol]

Sadly Sappho died some years back. The current feline-in-charge is Athena (Thenie). One of Athena's predecessors as ruling feline was Aphrodite (Affy). Sappho's brother Socrates (Socks) was adopted by a different family, but Sappho had some problems they couldn't cope with so she came to me.

I don't often get to name my cats as I adopt oldies, cats with bits missing or problem cats (kind of a high turnover, but I do my best for them while they have good quality of life). I would like to name one Boudica one day.

I could do almost anything with Affy and she didn't care. Adhesive tape? She'd ignore it. Buttered paws? She'd ignore it. Water pistol to train her not to jump on the stove? She'd try to catch the stream of water. Cat behaviour books? She'd obviously read them as she broke all the rules.

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ariadne
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ariadne   E-mail Ariadne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Xia, all three of my cats behave strangely with a harness on. They hunch down just like in the video with the tape on the back.

My male cat also loves to lick tape. He licks anything with glue on it, actually, like those self-adhesive manila envelopes, stickers, boxes with tape residue, etc. Sometimes he licks the shiny side of photographs. He is a very odd cat (though I guess I've never seen a perfectly normal cat).

--------------------
saxea ut effigies bacchantis prospicit eheu | prospicit et magnis curarum fluctuat undis
-Catullus

Posts: 435 | From: Iowa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oceanic Aura
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oceanic Aura   Author's Homepage   E-mail Oceanic Aura   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, forgive my hijack, but to continue along the vein that Ariadne hit - my roommate's cat loves to lick metal. More specifically, he licks the blade of a very large broad sword I keep unsheathed sometimes. It is absolutely bizarre. He is crazy for that sword.

I used to have a little angel-wing ornament that I hung around the hilt. He once dragged the thing off my bed, and somehow pulled it out of the sheath and commenced to lick it for Zues knows how long. I came home and my sword was unsheathed, laid out across the living room floor, and the cat had the audacity to barely look ashamed!

Aura

Edited for clairty. Typing with a tummy ache is bad.

--------------------

Posts: 618 | From: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ariadne
Deck the Malls

Wow, you are lucky, Aura; who needs a guard dog when you have a sword-wielding cat in the house?

--------------------
-Catullus

Oceanic Aura
The First USA Noel

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Oceanic Aura   Author's Homepage   E-mail Oceanic Aura   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
 -

That's right - I went there.

--------------------

00-Saleen
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 00-Saleen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My x-eyed Siamese-X loves to eat tape, especially packing tape. It seems to be pretty common with Oriental type cats. In a mild form, it's called "wool sucking"; he's into full-blown "pica" as he eats plastic, paper, cloth, etc. It's gotten better since we got the kitten, but it's still obnoxious to find stuff with chew holes in it!
Posts: 239 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CSGirl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CSGirl   E-mail CSGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know it's been a few days, but reading this thread made me think of this: Buttered cat paradox. [Big Grin]

--------------------
My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
Dr. Wilson: Beauty often seduces us on the road to truth.
Dr. Gregory House: And triteness kicks us in the nads.
-House MD

Posts: 114 | From: Glastonbury, CT / Houghton, NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PetLover
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PetLover     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I cannot vouch for this theory but I disagree with letting cats roam the streets anyway.
Posts: 21 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ravynwriter
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ravynwriter   E-mail ravynwriter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sadly Sappho died some years back. The current feline-in-charge is Athena (Thenie). One of Athena's predecessors as ruling feline was Aphrodite (Affy). Sappho's brother Socrates (Socks) was adopted by a different family, but Sappho had some problems they couldn't cope with so she came to me.

You're kidding me! That is so cool! I have a cat named Athena too, and I call her Thenie all the time. She's my baby doll.

I agree with some of the others. Best way to keep a cat from wandering...keep it inside. I have seven cats and they're all indoors.

Several of them star in my online comic, along with my dogs. Yeah, I'm sad and obsessive. I admit it [Smile]

Posts: 58 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lil' Molly
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lil' Molly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Count my bitty, Henry, in as another wool-sucking tape eater. He also is terrified of paper shopping bags. He'll stalk them and bat at them and jump three feet in the air when they crinkle. Once he got his head in the handle of a Lush bag and ran around the apartment at top speed. When I finally caught him, his tail was puffed out bigger than I've ever seen it!

Also, my mom's cat, Samson, will chew on pictures. He digs them out from under stacks of mail to chew on them too. Bizarre.

--------------------
... and now back to your regularly scheduled lurking.

I have 15 points and owe 1 keyboard!

Posts: 394 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ariadne
Deck the Malls

quote:
Originally posted by Lil' Molly:
Count my bitty, Henry, in as another wool-sucking tape eater. He also is terrified of paper shopping bags. He'll stalk them and bat at them and jump three feet in the air when they crinkle. Once he got his head in the handle of a Lush bag and ran around the apartment at top speed. When I finally caught him, his tail was puffed out bigger than I've ever seen it!

That is funny because our tape eater also hates the sound of crinkling bags, both paper and plastic. I have no idea why because we got him when he was only six weeks old and as far as I know he hasn't had any traumatic experiences involving bags.

Another of our kitties loves plastic grocery bags and frequently gets her head stuck in the handles, then runs around the house like she has a cape on. It is hilarious--I am laughing aloud as I type this just thinking about it.

What would we do without our cats? [lol]

--------------------
-Catullus

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages