snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » Rhinos put out fires?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rhinos put out fires?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 501 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: In the movie The Gods Must Be Crazy, a campfire is repeatedly
stomped out by a rhinoceros, and it is claimed that this is something
that, according to legend, they do. Is there any truth to this claim?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 501 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would say no; it seems to me that an animal's natural fear of fire would prevent it getting to close one to put it out.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
odin343434
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for odin343434     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.sandiegozoo.org/animalbytes/t-rhinoceros.html
Posts: 182 | From: Westland, MI | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Do rhinos really put out fires in the wild? This is a popular legend that has inspired scenes in movies, descriptions in stories, and even the names of fire-fighting units, but there have been no actual recorded accounts of this happening.
I've never heard of this legend. Nice to know it's fake, thanks for the link btw. But I've never even heard anyone mentioned anything even vaguely related before. Does this mean I'm terribly sheltered? *shifty eyes*

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always thought that was just added for comedic effect in The Gods Must Be Crazy. One more thing going wrong for the poor, bumbling hero.

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages