snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » British Mystery Big Cats (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: British Mystery Big Cats
dlloyd
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dlloyd     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dlloyd:
Its movement was not dog-like and it was too big to be a domestic cat. If it were further away, I can see it being mistaken for a big cat. It was black and had the bushy tail mentioned in a lot of reports from this area.

I reckon I saw a black fox.

I've since spoken to a friend who was with me in the car... he reckons it was a dog.
Posts: 99 | From: Dundee | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 103 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wales: Police warn of 'big cat' in hills

(The photo shows a dog paw print in mud)

South West England claws to top of big cats list

(The video shows numerous black housecats)

--------------------
Terrified, mortified, petrified, stupefied... by you!

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A big part of the problem is that people, especially non-experts, see what they want to see rather than what is really there.

I had a recent email from a driver who believes he saw a "big cat" dead on the roadside, but sadly didn't stop to check the body. It would have made big news and possibly a lot of money from the tabloid papers.

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They see what they want to see, even when there are photos and videos.

New Zealand big cat screwup shows a housecat

Hoosier big cat screwup.

Update - Pro trapper hired to get housecat.

Hoosier cat video. Notice when the black housecat leaps, you can see the bright white chin and chest.

--------------------

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In that case, I got jumped on by what felt like a cougar last night. While in bed. Logic tells me it was my very own black moggy, but at that time in the morning it sure felt a lot bigger [lol]

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barns & No Bull:
They see what they want to see, even when there are photos and videos.

New Zealand big cat screwup shows a housecat

I like the TV clip that goes with that one - they interview a lorry driver who apparently saw a "big cat", and in the establishing shot of him driving up in his lorry, a black housecat that looks just like the one in the pictures runs across the road behind him without comment...! The news crew had a sighting and didn't even notice!

Some of those pictures are so obviously just a housecat that you wonder how anybody could have thought differently. Especially the photo in the NZ news clip of a cat crouching in the grass. Most of the photos you can see that the scale isn't obvious and so might be confusing, but in that one you can clearly see blades of grass in front and behind it, and it's the size of a normal cat! It doesn't even look plain black, more tabbyish...

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It has been suggested that the large cat-like creature looks just like a North American cougar or mountain lion.
Well in that case, I spotted a "mountain lion" just a few hours ago:

-

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst hringi
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

Well I'm just off to buy some food for the black panther spotted in my kitchen this morning. Must fix the magnetic catch of the panther-flap too ....

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Barns & No Bull

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Be careful with those pumas and panthers around the house. Generally, these animals will not attack unless provoked or approached.

--------------------

Llewtrah

Mine attacks when the sight of an empty foodbowl provokes her. I have to throw kibble and run away quick to avoid being mauled by her rough tongue. You try doing crochet with a "black puma" on your lap trying to "kill" the crochet hook.

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Through careful research and observation of said creature, I have determined her natural prey consists of terrified dogs, the wires at the back of my keyboard and the lesser spotted laundry basket. Have also discovered her lair.

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst hringi
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages