snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » Mice have no bone structure

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mice have no bone structure
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 505 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Spooted in the wild - a new bit of popular misinformation I've
never seen before. At www.themousedepot.com, in the FAQ it claims that
"mice have no bone structures." I'm wondering if this is a common belief
in some areas, or a transference of the bit about octopi being able to
squeeze through small spaces because they have no bones.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wizard of Yendor
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My understanding is that they do of course have bones, but can dislocate them to squeeze through smaller openings than they otherwise could.
Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Billion
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Billion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I've heard that before.

Apparently, a few other people on the Internet have, too. The link the commenter provided is the only Google result for "mice have no bone structures," but you get a couple more germane results with "mice have no bone."

This site claims that they have cartilage instead of bone. Another one repeats the "no bone structure" claim.

I'm not even sure what "no bone structure" is supposed to mean. Maybe that very confusion is part of what helps move this rumor along. People don't exactly understand the phrase, and "bone structure" sounds like something scientific, so it must be an official scientific fact.

[edited to cut out broken links]

--------------------
"For the U.S. to get involved militarily in determining the outcome of the struggle over who's going to govern Iraq strikes me as a classic definition of a quagmire." ~Dick Cheney.

Posts: 747 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seraphina
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seraphina   E-mail Seraphina   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mice do most certainly have bones, I found their dried out skeletons in my roof and garage sometime after I placed bait around.
Posts: 214 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
00-Saleen
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 00-Saleen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you've ever seen an owl pellet, then you know that yes, mice do have bones!
Posts: 239 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mice have bones but they're really fine - you can just chew them right up and you don't notice! [lol]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Winter Morning
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Winter Morning     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mice do certainly have bones. Especially skulls. Mouse skulls go *pop* when a large cat bites down. *shudder*

Mournful

Posts: 321 | From: Ohio (Land of Good Morning) | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
aranea russus
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aranea russus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
 -
Posts: 625 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chia
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Chia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mice definatly have bones. I used to have to cut mice up for some of the animals at the zoo where I used to volunteer. They have very little bones, yes, but they've got 'em.

--------------------
It's on, baby, like a Baptist's V-Chip! - Get Fuzzy

Posts: 101 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rexodus
Deck the Malls

Icon 604 posted      Profile for Rexodus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wizard of Yendor:
My understanding is that they do of course have bones, but can dislocate them to squeeze through smaller openings than they otherwise could.

The deer mouse has no collarbone, so it can essentially compress its body into a straight line with all its bones almost parallel to each other. I don't know if this counts as dislocation, but it does allow deer mice to move through openings less than a quarter-inch thick.

But, as others have pointed out, they certainly have bones. And anything that has bones must also have bone structure, which usually refers to the relative density and composition of the bones themselves rather than their position in the body.

--------------------
"Your name is Thurmon Mermon?"

Posts: 244 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mournful Quail:
Mice do certainly have bones. Especially skulls. Mouse skulls go *pop* when a large cat bites down. *shudder*

Ugh.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
timbobmc
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 106 posted      Profile for timbobmc   E-mail timbobmc   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What cats are those? Certainly not mine. They live in harmony with the family of mice which reside in my kitchen.

My SIL taught (retired) TAG science (academically gifted) classes. One of their regular activities was gathering owl pellets, opening them up, and reassembeling the mouse/vole/shrew skeleton inside. For those of you who don't know what owl pellets are, they are the regurgitated fur and skeletons of mice/vole/shrews that owls barf up after digesting the flesh of the critter. Little dense balls of stuff, they are found at the base of the tree where an owl nest is located. Virtual Owl Pellet Dissections

--------------------
Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen.

Posts: 536 | From: Gonzales, Louisiana | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mice are mammals. Mammals feed their young on calcium-rich milk, and thus build strong, calcium-reinforced bones. So not only do mice have bones, we have good strong healthy ones, thank you very much!

Now can we have less talk about owls and cats, please? :shudder:.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Winter Morning
Deck the Malls

Icon 604 posted      Profile for Winter Morning     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:

Ugh.
I was only close enough to discover this disconcerting fact because I was trying to rescue said wee mickey. Thomas wasn't very happy that I was approaching and decided that it was time for the coup de grace.

It was very quick at least...

Mournful
*playing taps on the little mousepipes*

Posts: 321 | From: Ohio (Land of Good Morning) | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
timbobmc
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 106 posted      Profile for timbobmc   E-mail timbobmc   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
aNonnyMouse, you're safe at my house. The cats won't chase you, and I only use live traps for the catch-and-release program.

--------------------
Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen.

Posts: 536 | From: Gonzales, Louisiana | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 505 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: My boss and my assistant say that mice have no backbones and this
is why I consistently find 1 or 2 a week in my classroom. I was also told
that they come in because its too cold outside now, but other sites have
said that it's the lasck of grains and seeds outside, so I feel that they
don't know what the heck they're talking about.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jasini
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasini   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jasini   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What would not having a backbone bring them into your classroom?

And why couldn't it be both cold and wanting a better food supply?

--------------------
Jasini

Where there's a will, there's an or.
--Col. Jack O'Neill, SG1

Posts: 71 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Part of it is that they have a lot of fur and muscle on top of the skeleton. Therefore, what looks like a lil' fatty of a mouse is just so much fluff.

The general wisdom I have always heard is that anything they can fit their snout in they can squeeze into. Seems to be a relatively reasonable observation judging from the barely-a-gap-between-the-doors cabinets I've found them in.

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DeKaFu
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeKaFu     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dogwater:
The general wisdom I have always heard is that anything they can fit their snout in they can squeeze into. Seems to be a relatively reasonable observation judging from the barely-a-gap-between-the-doors cabinets I've found them in.

I can't say much about mice, but I can definately confirm that for rats. [Roll Eyes]

We have a chronic escaper who can squeeze through gaps in bars that you'd swear were smaller than her head. It's incredibly disconcerting to see a 2-inch-wide rat squeezing itself through a 1-inch-wide gap.

Posts: 12 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dogwater:

Same is true for ferrets.

I find it difficult to believe that someone with any knowledge of science could believe that mice don't have backbones. They are vertebrates after all and that backbone serves the vital function of protecting Mr./Mrs. Mousie's spinal chord.

Also, it is my understanding that a cat's teeth are perfectly sized to slip between those vertebrae to neatly sever the spinal chord in a single bite, and that that teeth to vertebrae size ratio is similar in all predators and their primary prey. That's some FOF lore, though.

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kookaburra

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kookaburra   Author's Homepage   E-mail Kookaburra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:

Ugh.
I was only close enough to discover this disconcerting fact because I was trying to rescue said wee mickey. Thomas wasn't very happy that I was approaching and decided that it was time for the coup de grace.

It was very quick at least...

Mournful
*playing taps on the little mousepipes*

The same thing happens when one of the little buggers surprises you and you drop the brick you were carrying on it.

Fortunately one of the cats took care of the clean-up so I didn't have to deal with it.

But back on the topic at hand, it's hard to believe that anyone would think that mice don't have bones. They're mammals, and mammals are chordates.

--------------------
------------
http://www.berryarts.com

Posts: 6 | From: Springfield, OR/Santa Barbara, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
EthanMitchell
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EthanMitchell   E-mail EthanMitchell   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Snopesters need to form a new advocacy group: "Reality Defenders." We could assemble evidence to prove that mice have bones, that cabbage is a plant, that a straight line can in fact connect point A and point B, and other important facts.
Posts: 330 | From: New Haven, VT | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Almost all animal classes have bone structures regardless of myth.

Except for several insect cultures that are too small to have bone structures. They are mostly muscular and don't need bones. Despite some cultures drinking milk out of the blue and making silly commercials that say bugs need milk to keep a healthy body good.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rexodus
Deck the Malls

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Rexodus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Z:
Almost all animal classes have bone structures regardless of myth.

Except for several insect cultures that are too small to have bone structures. They are mostly muscular and don't need bones. Despite some cultures drinking milk out of the blue and making silly commercials that say bugs need milk to keep a healthy body good.

Hmmm... Not really sure what you're getting at.

First, it's certianly not true that most animal classes have bone structure. Most animal classes belong to phyla other than Chordata (a.k.a. vertebrates) which is the only phylum with bone tissue. Animals in the other phyla might have mineral-based support structures (such as echinoderm ossicles) but these aren't really bones.

Second, what exactly is an "insect culture"? [Confused]

--------------------
"Your name is Thurmon Mermon?"

Posts: 244 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Falsetto

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Falsetto   E-mail Falsetto   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Billion:
This site claims that they have cartilage instead of bone.

I believe that website is specifically referring to a type of mouse with a mutated or disabled gene.
Posts: 1 | From: Oshkosh, WI | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages