snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » Cow-tipping myth hasn't got a leg to stand on (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cow-tipping myth hasn't got a leg to stand on
Diane G
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diane G   E-mail Diane G   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I grew up on a dairy farm and knew a great deal about cattle that my city-slicker new friends did not our freshman year of college. They did know that I was working at the large animal department of the Ag school and one Saturday asked for directions to some cows so that they could tip them. I gave them directions to a pen where 2 very old cows were penned. When my friends returned, they said that they never imagined that cows could be that mean and felt that I had directed them to especially nasty cows. Just think, I also knew where five cows that had just calved were penned and where the breeding bull was kept penned and tied.
Posts: 7 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never gone cow-tipping, but I did tip the family dog several times in my childhood. It's not nearly as easy as you think it would be, especially considering that dogs do not sleep standing up so you can really only take them when they're staring at a bird or something. Take that for what it's worth.

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
charlie23
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie23   Author's Homepage   E-mail charlie23   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Charlie23, thanks for the support. I KNEW I couldn't be the only reformed tipper here! Now, how the hell did you end up in Bulgaria from Rhode Island?

They told me the cows here were smaller [Wink]
Posts: 156 | From: Varna, Bulgaria | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mgbdriver
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgbdriver     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stoneage Dinosaur:
According to the report fatal injuries in farming in Britain 2004/5

Three people were killed by farm animals. One was struck and trampled on by two bulls, another was knocked to the ground by a cow and the other person was trampled over by a herd of cattle.

ETA: More examples of the dangers of cows:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/coventry_warwickshire/4091126.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/cumbria/3042655.stm

It seems that cows can be very aggressive when protecting their young, as are most animals.

I'm sorry, but the first thing in my head was the voice of my doctor saying, "I told you that beef wasn't good for your health!"

--------------------
"Chuck E. Cheese called. They want their band back."

my blog
Help me clean my basement!

Posts: 2717 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Honey Bunching Oats
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 24 posted      Profile for Honey Bunching Oats   E-mail Honey Bunching Oats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was in college at Northern Kentucky University. I went to a farm party in Pendleton County in which cow-tipping was advertised.

By the time we got around to the cow-tipping we were all a bit tipsy. Being drunk we were a little loud so by the time we got to the edge of the herdwe were heard. We couldn't tip an awake cow. They were all scared or something. Moing they almost woke up the people who lived on the farm, brother of the host.

BTW we were all biology majors.

Honey bunchin' "beleive it or not I'm actually posting this sober" Oats

--------------------
"When we talk about democracy, if the people's stomach is empty, democracy is also empty. Democracy cannot be installed by fiat; it must be achieved by the people themselves." Y.C. James Yen (1893-1990)

Posts: 146 | From: San Jose, California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 104 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cow-tipping: Myth or reality?

Thursday’s edition of the Daily Press featured a story about holiday tipping – tipping the mailman, tipping the garbage collector, tipping the paper deliverer.

But what about tipping the cow?

http://www.tahlequahdailypress.com/features/local_story_349092342.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bjohn13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bjohn13     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The result was him sitting in a pile of manure with a very confused and slightly pissed off (but definitely still firmly on 4 legs) cow staring down at him like he was an idiot. [/QB]
That must have been the worst part...having a cow looking down at me like I was an idiot would hurt.

I mean, have ya ever seen a cow?

On a side note, put me in the list of people who have been stupid enough to attempt to tip a cow. It makes me laugh that so many people have actually attempted this.

For me, there is no funny story to recount. I think we successfully sneaked up on the cow, who was isolated from the rest of the herd. However, the cow did not budge. It just mooed.

And that alone scared us so bad, we ran until we were in the next county. Of course, we had to go back for the car...

bjohn "it's easier to tip a bus" 13

Posts: 23 | From: Fargo, ND | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brillo Bee
Wii Three Kings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brillo Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I grew up in the country, so if cow tipping were as easy and fun as the legend says, you'd think I would know at least one person who had done it or at least one farmer who had been PO'ed by it. But, nope, I've never heard a firsthand story. Of course, if you've ever been close to a cow, you can easily predict how badly they could be injured by tipping (they'd land on their ribs, which I'd have to imagine would break in the fall), so maybe country kids aren't as willing to try it.

OTOH, my father swears he used to go cow-skiing. Get in a mucky pasture with a cow, grab her tail and scare her into running. Of course, my father has also been known to fib.

[Big Grin]
Bee

--------------------
People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools. -Alice Walker

Posts: 335 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
invisigoth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for invisigoth   E-mail invisigoth   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
my husband tipped cows! *laughs and falls off the chair*
Posts: 46 | From: DeLand, FL | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Queen Mac
Turkey Largo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Queen Mac   Author's Homepage   E-mail Queen Mac   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. As a current beef cow owner/shower on the 4-H circuit, I don't even want to think about someone attempting to tip one of mine over, and they're still in that awkward stage between being a calf and a full grown cow stage.

I mean, Rorschach and Stuart are both the tamest calves I've had in a long time, but they still wouldn't take well to a bunch of people attempting to shove them over. Well, Stuart might, but he's too lazy to care, but Rorschach wouldn't like it much. And those two are my tame ones. Ronald, Circe, and Hecate wouldn't like it at ALL.

Anyway, back on the actual topic...sort of. *Coughs* If you ever mention cow tipping around here, you're likely to get a bunch of rolled eyes and groans, considering almost everyone here is related to a farmer in some way.

--------------------
"STUPID COOKIES! I'M GOING TO EAT THEM TO HELL!" - Nick

Posts: 43 | From: Bicknell, Indiana, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages