snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » College » Staving off the Freshman 15 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Staving off the Freshman 15
Beware the Toe Tickler
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beware the Toe Tickler   E-mail Beware the Toe Tickler       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I only had two or three hours of classes per day.
Were you going to school full-time? If I had 4 hours of classes a day I considered it a vacation.

Physics lab and many of my sciences were easily 3-4 classes by themselves, let alone all the core requirements in humanities and what-not.

I *lost* the Freshman 15. And the sophomore 20. It started to stabilize after that, but some days I literally had two hours that weren't spent in class. [Razz]

Posts: 240 | From: San Jose, Califor-nigh-yay | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beware the Toe Tickler:
quote:
Were you going to school full-time? If I had 4 hours of classes a day I considered it a vacation.
Yes, four classes totalling 12 credit hours. I did not have any labs; my classes were English 1101, College Algebra, Intro to Anthropology, and a Geography class. The first three classes were MWF, 50 minutes each. I was in class 9:00-12:00. The Geography class was T/TH, from about 2:00-3:30 or so, I don't recall. Since it was my freshman year, my advisor told me it would be best if I took only 12 credit hours, because college was hard. The classes were a joke. (I'd taken AP English and dual-enrollment science courses in high school, which of course that university refused to acknowledge. [Mad] ) Anyway, I had so much free time I was bored out of my mind and never again relied on an advisor to tell me what course load I could handle.

ETA: Toe Tickler, I'm only talking about my freshman year. But even as a junior taking 15 credit hours and science classes with labs, two days a week I'm only in school for two hours.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BacardiSpice
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BacardiSpice   E-mail BacardiSpice   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Must be related to the Heathrow Injection - the 5 - 10 kilos any antipodean is guaranteed to gain when they arrive in the UK on their working holiday visa!
Posts: 221 | From: Sydney | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My sister kept hers off by learning to play Dance Dance Revolution. Not that she needed to, as she's a size six to begin with. Grrr...

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Student weight gain a reality

Research shows average college student gains between three to 10 pounds; unhealthy habits cause weight gain to continue after first year.

http://www.cavalierdaily.com/CVArticle.asp?ID=28290&pid=1500

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
According to a release, Project CLUEE revealed that, on average, male students gained 5.6 pounds and female students gained 3.6 pounds during their first year of college.
quote:
Lloyd-Richardson said, at this point, she does not know what might be done to solve the weight gain problem. She did note, however, that minor changes to eating and behavioral habits should keep continued weight gains in check. "Something needs to be done so that they do not gain more and more weight," Lloyd-Richardson said.

Is 3.6 pounds really such a big deal? I've put on a pound or two every year since I was sixteen (before which I was gaining much more rapidly because I was still growing), and my fat percentage still falls on the cusp of "lean" and "ideal" on the charts. Most girls continue to fill out well into their early twenties, and many guys don't stop growing until age 21. The weight I've gained since I put "135" on my new driver's license has gone to all the right places; my stomach is actually flatter now than it was then. I went on the pill at age 17, which may have contributed to my developing a more womanly figure, but I think I also wasn't completely done with puberty then. I guess I'm just failing to grasp how 3.6 and 5.6 pounds constitute a problem that needs to be solved.

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a freshman now and I've notice I've gained some weight (I was underweight)... The past few weeks, I've been living on frozen foods (White Castle Cheeseburgers and Hot Pockets) or not eating because I've been sleeping so much. I hate it. But today, I went to the cafe and ate salad, four-cheese bowtie pasta, broiled fish (yuuuuum), and a little piece of chocolate cake.

I usually eat a bagel with cream cheese, bacon, tater tots, and a small muffin for breakfast, but I gotta cut down with that. Maybe I'll just get a bagel and see if they have a banana or apple or something.

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Orac
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orac   E-mail Orac   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is my Freshman year as well and I haven't gained any weight. Of course, I haven't gained any weight since I graduated High School 12 years ago.
The funny part is I eat like a bird (1 to 1/2 times my weight). Just kidding, but a typical lunch is a 12" sub from Subway with double meat, chips and the drink. Hungry days are worse, that's when I end up eating an 18" sub, chips, drink, and one of their cinnamon rolls (usually about 6" across). Probably the worst part is that I'm still hungry after that.

Posts: 32 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sue Bee
Happy Holly Days

Icon 505 posted      Profile for Sue Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Orac:
The funny part is I eat like a bird (1 to 1/2 times my weight).

[lol]

Being a bird "owner", I always find it amusing to hear about "eating like a bird". You hit it on the nose. Er, beak.

Posts: 1596 | From: Illinois | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Orac:
The funny part is I eat like a bird (1 to 1/2 times my weight). Just kidding, but a typical lunch is a 12" sub from Subway with double meat, chips and the drink.

If you really ate like a bird, you'd eat 1/4 of sub, 1/3 the bag of chips, sip the soda, and scatter the rest of it all around the Subway.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
quote:
quote:
Yes, four classes totalling 12 credit hours. I did not have any labs; my classes were English 1101, College Algebra, Intro to Anthropology, and a Geography class. The first three classes were MWF, 50 minutes each. I was in class 9:00-12:00. The Geography class was T/TH, from about 2:00-3:30 or so, I don't recall. Since it was my freshman year, my advisor told me it would be best if I took only 12 credit hours, because college was hard. The classes were a joke. (I'd taken AP English and dual-enrollment science courses in high school, which of course that university refused to acknowledge. [Mad] ) Anyway, I had so much free time I was bored out of my mind and never again relied on an advisor to tell me what course load I could handle.

ETA: Toe Tickler, I'm only talking about my freshman year. But even as a junior taking 15 credit hours and science classes with labs, two days a week I'm only in school for two hours.

I'm in my final year of Law here at Aberdeen, and I'm on 1 to 5 hours PER WEEK. It's absolutely killing me, because not HAVING to be in Uni means I've become less inclined to do private study - and with two essays due soon and a lot of reading for my dissertation to do, that's a seriously BAD idea. I'm trying to get back into the study thing, but it's not going very well. I am at least making some headway on one of the essays tonight.

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dawnshadow
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawnshadow   E-mail Dawnshadow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Re: time in class-- I'm usually in class for approximately 15 hours a week on a typical quarter schedule. (My college uses a quarter system rather than a semester one, so we take fewer classes at one time-- typically 3 5-credit-hour classes a quarter-- but have three quarters instead of two semesters.) I probably spend six hours a week on homework, typically, although this goes up sharply near the end of the quarter. (Which reminds me, I should start on that 20-page paper this weekend....)

My weight stayed about the same when I started college. I actually eat better now than I did in high school and right after graduating; I worked in a pizzaria where the workers got free food when they did work, so I ate a lot of pizza and fried food and drank bottles and bottles of pop when working. Of course, I'm not doing the tiring physical work that I did, and the campus is small enough that the walk to class is only 8-10 minutes each way. I'm not in the best of shape, though, and could stand to go to the gym more. (I probably will winter quarter, since I'm taking either fencing or karate in the spring and need to be in better shape.)

Posts: 131 | From: Newark, OH | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Anyte
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anyte   E-mail Anyte   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I keep thinking that the subject line says "Starving off the Freshman 15" which is not a technique I recommend.

My weight was stable my freshman year, then sophmore year, I lost 10-12 pounds. Now that I'm married, I've put them back on and then some.

--------------------
Too broke to pay attention

Posts: 452 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ange84

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ange84   E-mail ange84   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I lost 15 kgs in my first year or so of uni. I suddenly started to lose my puppy fat and by mid second year i had gone from a size 14( although some 16's) to a comfy size 12( and now a couple of 10's yay) I started uni at around 80-85kgs and at my lowest weight i was 65kgs, but that was in my final year. Unfortunatly stress kicked in in the second semester last year and i put 5 back on.

--------------------
Love is a sudden revelation: a kiss is always a discovery

Posts: 902 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DaphHime

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaphHime   E-mail DaphHime   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nightfall:
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:
Intersting advice there (even if you're not a college student). However, I'd have to disagree slightly about homemeade being best for a college student: what kind of a freshman has time to cook?

Perhaps more imporantly, where is a freshman going to cook this food?
Well it depends on the college. For example my college is an urban campus (in the city) so most of the dorms are just bought out or refurbished condos and loft apartments (my dorm is the latter); many with their own kitchen area so the student can make their own meals. Not excatly a tradional dorm setup. It's just a matter of going to the grocery store and getting good food.

The one draw back to this urban campus is the proxmity to fast food places and restruants. Though alot of them are serving up healther alternatives which is good. The temptation is great though. Personally I don't like overly greasy fast food that much. Just give me a place that has good sushi and I'll be happy.

As for my freshman 15 experince, I failed at keeping it off. The summer before my doctor said I was a few pounds overwieght. During my freshman year I think I gained around 10 pounds give or take. I'm a sophmore now and I can feel and see some weightloss. I haven't been eating as much since I've been so busy and tired and I've been doing a bit more walking (my main mode of transport in the city) now.

Edit: Looks like I was spanked. OW! >_<

--------------------
"I was in one of those rare states where you curse someone else's misfortune."-Rikudo Koshi

Posts: 125 | From: Villa Park, IL | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Louise

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Louise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Louise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been in college for three months and no weight gain, in fact I've lost at least 15-20 pounds, but that's because I had/have stress-related nausea, and barely ate anything at the beginning. Now I try to eat a lot of salad and not too much fatty stuff, though it's hard.
My roommate, though, she eats at any and all hours, and it's not healthy stuff either. She buys a lot of drinks, and she has ice cream almost every single day with lunch. She was probably overweight to begin with, but that paired with her extreme laziness will probably not help. One time, she ate a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting!

--------------------
"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." -- Mark Twain

Posts: 173 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae   E-mail Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
waffles

--------------------
The Wicked Witch of the West was FRAMED!

Posts: 201 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae   E-mail Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Count me among those who gained the Freshman 15 in their Sophomore year.
My first year, I lived in a dorm with no kitchen (just a microwave and a mini-fridge), so I ate a lot of cereal, and occasionally a decent meal when I went over to the Dining Hall (the food there was so consistently mediocre that I couldn't bring myself to go more than 3 or so times a week). Also, that first year, my dorm was a 5 minute walk from the gym, so I was there 6 days a week for about an hour/hour and a half each time I went. I was in damn good shape!
My sophomore year, I moved into an apartment with an actual kitchen...unfortunately I'd forgotten that the fine art of cooking for one can be a PITA, so I mostly lived off frozen food. Now, in my junior year, I've stabilized my weight at a healthy 127 and I intend to stay there.

And I still go to the gym every chance I get...that was the best habit I picked up in my first year.

--------------------
The Wicked Witch of the West was FRAMED!

Posts: 201 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I lost about ten pounds my freshman year. The food in my dorm cafeteria was terrible, so I simply didn't eat. However, a new one opened my sophmore year, so I gained it back...and then my senior year, I lived off campus with three other women, one of whom LOVED to cook full meals, and bake, and I gained some more...and the gaining just hasn't stopped since. [Frown]

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Louise:
One time, she ate a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting!

My roommate brought in a 3 liter bottle of soda one time and he drunk it in one sitting! I was dumbfounded. I calculated how many calories and grams of sugar it was and I got something like 1440 and 365! And then last week, he brought one of those big bottles of Hawaiian Punch and he drank that in one sitting!

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Louise

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Louise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Louise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, don't get me started on all the annoying things my roommate does that also dumbfound me, or else we'll be here all day long.

--------------------
"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." -- Mark Twain

Posts: 173 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I could understand your amazement if she'd eaten a whole 1/2 gallon carton, but a pint?

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Louise

quote:
Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker:
quote:

I could understand your amazement if she'd eaten a whole 1/2 gallon carton, but a pint?

Seaboe

Well, for me a pint of ice cream seems like a lot. I normally only fill a coffee cup full of ice cream, whereas here she's eating a full pint. It makes me cringe to think of the calories!

--------------------

Louise

quote:
Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker:
quote:

Seaboe

Well, for me a pint of ice cream seems like a lot. I normally only fill a coffee cup full of ice cream, whereas here she's eating a full pint. It makes me cringe to think of the calories!

--------------------

SmallTownKid
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmallTownKid     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a freshman this year and while I can't talk in pounds (I don't have a scale) I've lost a pant size. Of course my college has never had a PE requirement because all the hills here would make it somewhat redundant. I also live in a scholarship hall. We cook our own food, do our own chores, etc. for a better rate. So I haven't been eating cafeteria food. And I'm too lazy to go off campus and buy pop. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I will take the Ring," he said, "though I do not know the way."

"Doesn't 'Frollo' sound like a delicious hobbit chocolate?"--Amanda F.

Posts: 107 | From: Kansas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hacker Barbie
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hacker Barbie   E-mail Hacker Barbie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Physics lab and many of my sciences were easily 3-4 classes by themselves, let alone all the core requirements in humanities and what-not.

I *lost* the Freshman 15. And the sophomore 20. It started to stabilize after that, but some days I literally had two hours that weren't spent in class. [Razz]

It depends on where you go to college. In my undergrad uni the standard was 4-5 courses, but you were expected to do a looooot of reading and research by yourself. I am now doing my Master's, and you'd think it'd be even more extreme, right? No. Now I have 11 courses, but virtually no required reading. It all depends on what you´re doing.

Diana

Posts: 2351 | From: Germany | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archie2K
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got one of those heart rate monitor things and it will also work out how many calories you have (supposedly) burned whilst wearing it. A 45 minutes run followed by some light weight training will burn half that 1440 calories. Do that two days running and those soda calories are gone. Same presumably goes for the ice cream. That massive kebab and gooey dessert I ate in a reataurant last week could be as good as gone two days later if you are used to exercising.

@Cervus: Regards the expense of alcohol, you have yet to meet the delight that is imported spirits from Eastern Europe. Tax free due to EU regulations, I'm currently making my way through a 1L bottle of Jagermeister which cost all of $24 at an airport. Could've got it for $16 but some NFBSKwads were trying to blow up trans-Atlantic aircraft at the time and liquids through check-in were banned. As a comparison, the same in a British supermarket would be looking at $40+. Indeed, I got some nice Apple flavoured Bacardi tax free at Newark. 2L for $25. Very nice thank you very much.

--------------------
Vox populi vox canem

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa   Author's Homepage   E-mail SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In my residence hall (don't call it a dorm) we have kitchens on most of the floors. You have to provide your own cookware, but there are people who do it. I only eat 2 times a day (go on and tell me how bad it is and let me tell you my stomach doesn't like 3 a days) so I just use my meal plan at the school's food places. I can get a really good meal mid-day at a place on the top of the "Hill" and at 6pm every night my friends and I eat in the all-you-can eat cafe. However, I listen to when I am full and stop eating.

I beat the freshman 15 by just walking around campus. Everything is so spread out. I actually lost 40 pounds this semester and I am going to start using the rec center to drop the other 40+ pounds.

--------------------
You have the Right to Remain Silent. Anything you say CAN and WILL be twisted around, taken out of Context and used against you.

All we need is love and beer. Old school metal and some holiday cheer to be happy.

Posts: 711 | From: Bowling Green, KY/ WKU | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
unbroken

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unbroken   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually went down about a dress size and a half when I started college -- probably because I moved from a rural area where you had to drive everywhere and actually started walking places.

I put all the weight back on in the summer between finishing my BA and starting my masters, though. One MA later and I've yet to lose it [Frown]

--------------------
Oddly enough, the island of Ireland looks remarkably like a small old man driving an old Ford Fiesta.

Posts: 950 | From: Dublin | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages