snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » College » Sorry, He or She Can't Talk Right Now, We're Having Sex... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Sorry, He or She Can't Talk Right Now, We're Having Sex...
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by underfire:
hijack] A friend of mine got a haircut the other day and the lady cutting his hair chatted on her cell the whole time! I was terrified that she would just shave the poor guy bald because she wasn't paying any attention. The cut came out ok, so I guess there was no harm done. [/hijack]

That wouldn't have happened to me. I would have demanded they hang up, or would have walked out (without paying). There's plenty of walk-in hair-cut places within a short distance of both my home and work who would be happy to finish up.

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DadOf3
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DadOf3     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was at a funeral yesterday and someone's cell phone went off. It was the preacher's, while he was giving the eulogy.

To his credit, he handled it well. He apologized, turned it off, apologized again, and went back to his message. Still, it was a rather embarassing moment. I think it's safe to say that he will never have a cell phone on (or even anywhere near him) during any service ever again.

Posts: 539 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lizz24
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lizz24     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DaphHime:
I really don't expect any calls during the day/during class (save for my dad who knows my schedual anyway). I used to set it to slient but my dad would get mad at me if I forgot to set it back to normal after class, so I stopped doing that. But it did once in my Japanese class (it was my RA), the teacher didn't even bat an eye. And yes I did anwer, it might have been an emergncy and I didn't have my voice mail set up yet.

I find this really weird; not you specifically DaphHime, just the change in mentality since mobile phones have become so common. 10 years ago it was just accepted that people weren't instantly contactable, now if people aren't it seems to be the exception to the rule, and people get annoyed and angry if people don't answer for whatever reason (I should confess here that I do get pissed off if people don't get back to me straight away, but I think a lot of that is because I'm naturally impatient).

The thing is that while people go on about emergencies and the need to be in contact for whatever reason, 99.9% of the time it's just going to be a friend ringing for a chat. Or in my case, my mobile phone company ringing up trying to get me to upgrade my phone...which is another rant entirely!

Posts: 37 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always remember to put my phone on silent mode before I go into the classroom. I am very anal about it, so I have never forgotten.
However, I have the vibrate option turned on for silent mode - as many people do - because I keep my phone in my pocket, so I atleast know when I missed a call or if a text message arrived that I will want to check on break.

This normally works fine, but not too long ago it really backfired on me.

I was leading a class discussion in a smaller room. There was no clock in the room, and my watch broke a long time ago, so I took my phone out and set it on the table in front of me so that I could keep track of the time.

Unfortunately someone decided to call me right then, and I don't know if you've ever had a phone vibrate on a hard wooden table, but it really sounded like some sort of sex toy, all ryhtmic as it was, and all I could think of was that scene in the movie from the hip when judd nelson puts the vibrating dildo on the table!

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Electric Shadow

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Electric Shadow     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I go to a large university. In a full lecture theatre, an average of three phones will go off each hour. I don't find it particularly distracting- what's more distracting is when the lecturer breaks off to make a joke or a threat. A few days ago my Econometrics lecturer reacted to a mobile phone ringing by increasing his pace- he clicked ahead in the slide show, then implied that the information on the missing slides will be on the test. Luckily he follows pretty closely to the textbook, so it was easy to catch up, but I don't think many people will forget to switch to silent in future.

There's a rumour going around that a lecturer at UNSW confiscates ringing phones and smashes them with a textbook, but that's impractical for several obvious reasons, so I expect it's a myth.

The worst reaction I've ever seen was at my high school. A girl received a call from her employer during class, and her teacher took the phone and yelled at her manager 'She's trying to get an education. Your website claims you support the further education of your employees, so why the hell are you calling her in school hours?'
But then, he always did have anger issues.

First post, hope it didn't suck entirely.

Posts: 43 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DavieV
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DavieV   E-mail DavieV   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At the company where I work, we have vendors come in and train on the products they sell to us. We have had a couple vendors whose phones have gone off during training. Most of them just turn them off, but we had one that actually answered it and had a conversation. Needless to say, he has not come back and another rep has taken his place. As a group, we almost walked right out of the training session.
Posts: 94 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No one group of students can make that many "honest" mistakes! I've carried a cell phone for years and have yet to have it go off in a theatre or a classroom, and you don't get much more absent-minded than I am, especially when I'm sleep deprived
My pastor's wife has had her cell phone go off twice in church, during her hubby's sermons, on different occassions. I don't think it's annoying so much as hilarious that someone out there knows her well enough to know her cell phone number but is clueless enough to not realize that calling it on Sunday morning with anything short of an absolute emergency is a bad idea.

I wouldn't be absolutely strict with a phone policy because it's hard to know the circumstances of every call. Is the recipient a daddy-to-be who needs to get to the hospital for the birth? Is gramma almost dead? For a non-trad, is there some business deal that simply cannot be left to wait?

Were I a professor, I'd kick a repeat offendor's butt, but a one-time 'bout of absent-mindedness would be forgiven.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
During our performance of the Vagina Monologues this year, we had two guest performers, who had seats in the front row of the theatre. When one of our guests (a local radio personality) was on stage doing her monologue, her cell phone went off, in her bag. The friend she was with didn't know what to do - she ended up letting it ring, instead of going into the bag. So, there was our guest performer, in front of 700 people, having her performance interrupted by her own cell phone. She was SO embarrased and apologetic.

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lizz24

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lizz24     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just don't understand why people don't utilise the silent function of the phone - isn't that what it's there for? It's not that difficult to remember to turn your phone to a different setting is it?

And in the example of the pastor's wife - she of all people should surely remember to do something with her phone, it's her husband up there! It's her fault the phone's ringing, not the person who's ringing - it's not like the events of Sunday mornings are a big surprise for her.

And I don't take this argument that it might be an emergency - you could still turn it to silent and use vibrate, that would not stop you getting the call without disturbing everyone else.

Posts: 37 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlushingBride
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlushingBride     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elwood:My pastor's wife has had her cell phone go off twice in church, during her hubby's sermons, on different occassions. I don't think it's annoying so much as hilarious that someone out there knows her well enough to know her cell phone number but is clueless enough to not realize that calling it on Sunday morning with anything short of an absolute emergency is a bad idea.
Um, I call my Mom on Sunday morning all the time. And she's a preacher's wife. Heck, I call my Dad, the preacher, on Sunday mornings, too. See, the difference is, I know that they're smart enough to have their phones on silent while they're in church, but they'll see my message and get back to me after service. In my Mom's case, I never know which service she'll be attending, whether or not she has Sunday school or bible study or women's group, or what. So if I need her, the onus is on her to have her cell phone off when appropriate.

Seems to me that your preacher's wife is just plain rude.

--------------------
"In perfume, as in underwear, the scantiest of applications provides the greatest of returns." -Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 858 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amanda

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda   Author's Homepage   E-mail Amanda   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just leave mine in the car. If I'm in class...I don't need it. Anyone that has my cell number should realize that if I'm not answering, I'm busy. Besides, if there's an emergency, my sister works in the library on my campus, so she'd know where I'm at.
I don't really mind people talking on cell phones...it's the people that do stupid things while talking on cellphones that drives me crazy. Like when they talk EXTREMELY loud, like they're making sure everybody knows they have a phone...geez. Like this girl:http://clip.break.com/dnet/media/content/cheerleadercell.wmv

--------------------
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth.

Posts: 3 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nexus
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nexus   E-mail Nexus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a history prof. that had a great policy and even applied it fairly. If you had a potential emergency, you could e-mail him (he did check his e-mail right before lectures) or talk to him in person right before class, and tell him that you may be getting up and leaving to take a phone call - and also had the phone set to silent/vibrate. He was okay with prior warning.

But, if you didn't warn him or the phone rang out loud he would stop... wait for your call... and then ask your name (even if he knew it). He would then place a check mark on the roster and go back to lecturing.

One mark counted as a quiz grade we could drop(he gave an average of 2.5 pop quizes a week to keep us honest on our readings and allowed us to drop the lowest.) A second mark would drop a quiz, a third or more and it would adversely affect (lower the grade on) a midterm, paper or final grade.

One day he his leather case sang out with a cell phone call. He stopped, turned the phone off, pronounced his name and then (while writing on the roster) anounced to us that we had all just receieved a "10" on our quiz that we were going to take that day. (He still gave the quiz, and graded them to let us know what we were missing.)

Good way to handle it in my book.

Posts: 29 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had to re read that just to make sure I understood. Where is my mind today [Eek!]

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Latiam
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Latiam   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had my cellphone with me when I was practice teaching Grade 8s. I was in Toronto all day, every day and it was the only way I could be reached. It did go off once in the classroom and hilarity ensued until I answered it. They listened to me accept a rescheduling of an appointment. I apologized to them and explained why it was on, when they were not allowed the privilege. Then, the dipsticks at the office realized they had given me the wrong date and CALLED RIGHT BACK. That went to voice mail.
I also had it when I was substitute teaching a few days when I was waiting for calls from principals for interviews. A group of grade 4s was really quiet - it was a game: let's not let the principal know you're here! They won.
For the most part I leave it on, but I don't get that many calls on it - it's for ME to call others, not for them to call me, so if I get a call it tends to be fairly important. Friends send me text messages on it, and that's set to silent.
When it comes to movies it's off. Inservices, talks, and other places, it's off unless I am waiting for a very important call, then it's on vibrate and the leader knows. No exceptions.
Well, unless I forget...

--------------------
Good morning Starshine! The Earth says hello.

Posts: 119 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nexus:
One day he his leather case sang out with a cell phone call. He stopped, turned the phone off, pronounced his name and then (while writing on the roster) anounced to us that we had all just receieved a "10" on our quiz that we were going to take that day. (He still gave the quiz, and graded them to let us know what we were missing.)

Sounds like you all got duped to me. If everyone got ten points then it wouldn't have any effect on your final grade, unless the teacher goes strictly on points and doesn't adjust for the distribution. Also, what about people who did especially well on that particular quiz? Weren't they cheated out of a chance to make up for other quizzes on which they had done badly? I wouldn't do this in any of my classes unless I found out that there was a problem with the quiz, never ever as "punishment" or "reward". It doesn't make any sense at all to me. YMMV
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elwood:
I wouldn't be absolutely strict with a phone policy because it's hard to know the circumstances of every call. Is the recipient a daddy-to-be who needs to get to the hospital for the birth? Is gramma almost dead? For a non-trad, is there some business deal that simply cannot be left to wait?

In a classroom setting, if you know you may have to take an emergency call, it's polite to let the professor know before class starts - and to put your phone on vibrate or low volume. I mean, how is a teacher supposed to automatically know if you're awaiting the birth of a child, or if you're just a rude NFBSK who inturrupts class to chat with one of your frat buddies? I don't think the possible emergency is an excuse if you KNOW there's a chance you could receive an important call. Most people will be understanding, but only if you explain your circumstances before the start of class or your meeting...and then discreetly leave if you get the important call.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
qualli
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always keep my phone on silent/vibrate unless I'm at home. However the one day I did forget to turn it off was the day I had a werewolf howl as my ringtone, in a crowded lecture hall. It didn't happen again.

however, at a recent movie it was just my family (3 adults) and another family (3 adults 2 little girls and a baby) The adults set several rows behind us, and let their little girls sit in front of us. Not a problem until the little nfbskers started hitting each other and poking me in the knee. Had to listen to their parents yell at them to stop it (and of course they were named brittany and ashley)

My mother's phone vibrated and she answered it, having a relitivly quiet conversation with a coworker. Unfortunatly it didn't seem to bother the adults. The little nfbskers turned to glare at us though. [Smile]

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buzzkiller
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buzzkiller   E-mail Buzzkiller       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In a classroom setting, if you know you may have to take an emergency call, it's polite to let the professor know before class starts - and to put your phone on vibrate or low volume. I mean, how is a teacher supposed to automatically know if you're awaiting the birth of a child, or if you're just a rude NFBSK who inturrupts class to chat with one of your frat buddies? I don't think the possible emergency is an excuse if you KNOW there's a chance you could receive an important call. Most people will be understanding, but only if you explain your circumstances before the start of class or your meeting...and then discreetly leave if you get the important call.
This is an excellent point. I teach part-time at a university, and I have had a number of students who have extended me this courtesy. On the first day of class I always encourage them to make me aware of any situation that might cause them to be paged out of class or arrive to class late.

At the beginning of each class meeting I usually give students a subtle reminder to turn off phones by pulling mine out and turning it off. But you know, accidents happen, and I've never been nasty to someone whose phone rang because I didn't see the need to add to their embarrassment. If it happened more than once to the same student, I'd definitely speak to him or her, but that's never been the case. But you see, I'm just an adjunct instructor, so I don't have the big professorial ego that some of the jerks in these stories apparently have.

And, okay, I admit that even I forgot once and had my phone go off in class. To add to the humor of the situation, my call was from a co-worker (from my full-time day job, not my part-time teaching job), so the students were treated to my standard "work-related call" ringtone: a somewhat jarring chorus of Foreigner's "Urgent." It was good for a laugh.

Posts: 207 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kate
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kate   E-mail Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lizz24:
The thing is that while people go on about emergencies and the need to be in contact for whatever reason, 99.9% of the time it's just going to be a friend ringing for a chat.

That's true - and that's where caller display comes in. I have one emergency call I dread, as my daughter has a life-threatening condition, so I never turn off my mobile. In meetings, I keep it on vibrate, and if a call comes in I check: if it's from one of her carers or her school I get up, excuse myself and dash out of the meeting to take the call. If it's anyone else, I just press "ignore". It's simply a matter of being organised and prepared.

I don't think mobile phones had been invented when I was at university, so it was never a problem in lectures. :)

Hmm, I seem to be assisting a hijack. Oops.

Kate

Posts: 2451 | From: Hong Kong/Cairns | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fictional lie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fictional lie   Author's Homepage   E-mail fictional lie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by elfbunny:
...Snip...

But I dont' see a problem with that. It really is the professors time.

Well, I'm going to have to go with Sean Penn's character Spinelli in Fast Times at Ridgemont High and say that, seeing as how both the teacher AND the student is there, shouldn't it be "Their Time?"

Not to mention that you pay an arm, leg, and sometimes genital to get into college and for each class. It's surely my time, too, IMHO.

--------------------
I am nothing but I'm more than you will ever be

Posts: 61 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dark Blue
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dark Blue   E-mail Dark Blue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When we have training its very common for a lot of officers to have cell phones and pagers as we are subject to being called out for various duties. Modern equipment though seems to be that everyones department issued cell phones and pagers are able to be put on vibrate. There is usually a bucket at the front of the class and a list of infractions. (Swearing, being late from break, and having an aduible phone or pager.) If you violate you throw in a buck. At the end of the training the money is used to by pizza on the last day or something similar.

--------------------
I'm a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf. -- On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs by LTC. Dave Grossman, USA (Ret)

Posts: 675 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buzzkiller
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buzzkiller   E-mail Buzzkiller       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
When we have training its very common for a lot of officers to have cell phones and pagers as we are subject to being called out for various duties.
Last year I taught a police officer--I had him in class two semesters in a row--and I definitely had no problem with him keeping his cell phone on for professional reasons. He was also my only student who was allowed to pack heat.
Posts: 207 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Buzzkiller:
quote:
When we have training its very common for a lot of officers to have cell phones and pagers as we are subject to being called out for various duties.
Last year I taught a police officer--I had him in class two semesters in a row--and I definitely had no problem with him keeping his cell phone on for professional reasons. He was also my only student who was allowed to pack heat.
We had several officers and EMTs in my forensics classes, and some of the instructors were even on call during class times. Because of that, the instructors would usually just tell everyone at the beginning of class that they understood that you may have something to take care of if your phone rings, just to step outside and handle it or leave if you have to, and that they wouldn't hold it against you - however, you would definitely be held responsible for keeping up with the class.

Despite having the most lax phone policies, those classes were always the ones with the fewest instances of loudly ringing phones.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PrincessLeia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PrincessLeia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am in university and still don't own a cell phone, but I did have an embarassing moment when I was in high school. I was doing student shadowing at the University of British Columbia, and my dad gave me his phone, so that I could call him to pick me up at the end of the day. I had never really used one before so I didn't realise that he had left the phone on. I was in a class with the girl I was shadowing when my dad phoned me.

Most professors at my university just ignore ringing phones in class. I only had one professor who would answer the cell if it rang. He was a really funny guy, so one student got a friend to phone him in class and then ran up the aisle with his phone to give it to the professor. My professor actually carried on a conversation with this friend for some time.

Posts: 185 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buzzkiller
Deck the Malls

quote:
We had several officers and EMTs in my forensics classes, and some of the instructors were even on call during class times . . . . Despite having the most lax phone policies, those classes were always the ones with the fewest instances of loudly ringing phones.
This doesn't surprise me at all. I have often commented that the procedure one goes through to purchase a mobile phone should be at least as stringent as the process of obtaining a handgun.
Jaime Vargas Sanchez

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaime Vargas Sanchez   E-mail Jaime Vargas Sanchez   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kate:

Hmm, I seem to be assisting a hijack. Oops.

HIjack? How's this for hijack?:

KATE!!! LONG TIME NO SEE!!!

--------------------
"Everyone has problems. They only vary in design" - Mama Duck

Posts: 4988 | From: Spain | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Louise

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Louise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Louise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In my chemistry class, my teacher would make inane threats at the beginning of the year, but since he loved my class so much (this was in high school), he ignored cell phones vibrating (one person had a very loud vibrating phone) and would just say, "Is that a cell phone? That better not be one!"

--------------------
"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." -- Mark Twain

Posts: 173 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Louise

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Louise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Louise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
quote:
Originally posted by Nexus:

Sounds like you all got duped to me. If everyone got ten points then it wouldn't have any effect on your final grade, unless the teacher goes strictly on points and doesn't adjust for the distribution. Also, what about people who did especially well on that particular quiz? Weren't they cheated out of a chance to make up for other quizzes on which they had done badly? I wouldn't do this in any of my classes unless I found out that there was a problem with the quiz, never ever as "punishment" or "reward". It doesn't make any sense at all to me. YMMV
I'm thinking the quizzes are 10 out of 10, so it doesn't adversely affect them.

--------------------
"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." -- Mark Twain

Posts: 173 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Temple:
quote:
Originally posted by elfbunny:
But I dont' see a problem with that. It really is the professors time.

Minor nitpick: It's the [other] students' time. I knew of too many professors who failed to make that distinction.
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! I've had profs who have simply stopped class, and the class is responsible for the material, all because one phone went off. [Mad] Punishing 115 for the actions of one is quite insane.

Kick the person with the ringer out if you can't lecture that way, but don't punish me!

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't believe students wouldn't complain to the university in that situation, Casey. How can the teacher decide to take away something you paid for because of the actions of another client?
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages