snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » College » Planes, Trains, and Plantains - The Story of Oedipus

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Planes, Trains, and Plantains - The Story of Oedipus
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 98 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Found an essay on the internet named "Planes, Trains, and
Plantains - The story of Oedipus". Link here:
http://www.eng.usf.edu/~dionson/ezzay/

Heard it was an essay submitted by a student at the University of South
Florida.

Judging by the cursive of red pen of the person grading the essay, its
hard to believe anyone over the age of 10 wrote it..

Grade was a D

Heard anything??

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I cannot believe that this was anyone OTHER than a young teen to late single digits in age.

Unless it is a total spoof and a UL waiting to be born.

If this was collegiate level work, I cannot believe that it actually received the grade it did - as I wouldn't have given it over a 20% as the only thing going for it was that I could recognize the subjective fact that he used the English language.

Outside of this - it suxxored.

I vote fake and planted to look like it was written by a Black Student.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 607 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I particularly liked the way the third page defeats red-pen grading, and the citing of www.tubgirl.com in the bibliography.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Made of Stardust
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Made of Stardust     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Page is to big"? From an English teacher? Say it ain't so.

--------------------
"We too are stardust."

Posts: 147 | From: CT | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paul Ortego
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Ortego   E-mail Paul Ortego   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't tell if the first mark on the paper, "Why", is asking about just the double-three-hole-punch or the whole paper. I'd vote for the latter...

I'm voting this fake. Any real Enlgish teacher would have torn this up before it had a chance to get posted on the internet!

Posts: 60 | From: Shreveport, LA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The inconsistency of style (sentence structure, spelling, subject matter, story line) which jumps from relatively sophisticated (i.e. correct) to very crude, makes one believe this is a deliberate mock piece written by someone who could definitely write normal, acceptable prose but tried his best to be "funny" here.
Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Captain ADD
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm... if this is real, it's likely that the guy writing this was under the influence of alcohol/drugs. Like Joostik said, it sounds like a potentially smart kid that just doesn't care about his grades. I'd say that he cared mostly about being funny and mocking his teacher.

Again, it sounds like a smart but unmotivated kid that was on something. Most likely, it was the student who scanned and posted it.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 218 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm leaning more towards college prank myself. OTOH, since so many college pranks are fueled by mind-altering substances of some sort, the "under the influence" theory can't be discounted entirely.

- Pseudo "Oedipus wrecked" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doc J.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc J.   E-mail Doc J.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, he still got 61%. Not a bad score IMHO. [Wink]
Posts: 3100 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
refinededge

Certainly a fake, but made me laugh anyways. Just my low-brow sense of humor I guess.
GooglyEyes
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GooglyEyes   E-mail GooglyEyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just got to chime in.

SO is 27 and writes that way in cursive. His regular printing looks like a 5 yo with poor motor skills. Some people just never spent a lot of time writing and therefore never refined their style.

I will agree though that between how messed up the content is and the mis-spellings from the "teacher," definitely a fake.

Posts: 789 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Unsung Hero
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Unsung Hero         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My friend told me about this essay a few weeks back. I read it and couldn't stop laughing. He said that he heard they were under the influence of drugs while writing it, and I think that is definitely a possibility. The on-going theme in this essay seems to be the homosexuality of the Greeks. I especially enjoyed the random pictures inserted between sentences or whatever. When reading this, I actually imagined a white student writing this instead of a black one, but it is possible that it was planted to look like the author was African- American.

--------------------
"Oh, is that what the kids call it these days..." - Some genius

Posts: 30 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Emke
Ron Mexico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emke   E-mail Emke   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I could maybe be fooled into thinking that the text was written by someone under the influence of drugs, but then I'd have to say the teacher was on drugs aswell.
It isn't the cursive that bothers me, but the comments themselves. I cannot believe a teacher would write "funny :-)" on a termpaper, nor can I believe that they would even give it a mark, let alone a D!
I really hope it's fake!

--------------------
Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 30 | From: Mechelen, Belgium | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitsune chan
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitsune chan   E-mail Kitsune chan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
...and the citing of www.tubgirl.com in the bibliography.

- snopes

hahaha I was gonna say the same thing
ROFL (would be a YOMANK if I was drinking something)
OMG, damn that was funny.
oh yeah, my vote, fake. but who cares? I'm gonna send this to friends LOL

Posts: 19 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GooglyEyes
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GooglyEyes   E-mail GooglyEyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emke:
I could maybe be fooled into thinking that the text was written by someone under the influence of drugs, but then I'd have to say the teacher was on drugs aswell.
It isn't the cursive that bothers me, but the comments themselves. I cannot believe a teacher would write "funny :-)" on a termpaper, nor can I believe that they would even give it a mark, let alone a D!
I really hope it's fake!

See, the "funny :-)" thing I can believe. Even in 300 level writing classes I recieved comments like "haha" with a sentence that I told a joke in underlined. Or a smilie face with a sentence underlined, or in the case of one paper a quote that was similar to: "This is exactly what I wanted!!!!" complete with multiple exclamation marks. Some teachers are just kookie, and some are just impressed a student was able to put together a sentence.
Posts: 789 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zakor

I think it's funny how the HTML of THIS page makes all of the internet addresses become clickable...

This is a fake.

Unusual Elfin Lights
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not into raising the dead, at least not until Monday. But I came across this essay
 -

And I immediately thought it deserved some attention here.

I think it could very well be real.

Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Funkmistress
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Funkmistress   E-mail Funkmistress   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It took me a good five minutes to decipher that teacher's hieroglyphics. But the essay does look real - the grammar, vocabulary and sense of humor are right on target for a middle- or high-school boy.
Posts: 223 | From: Hudson Valley, New York | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The first lloked decidedly fake. The second looks quite real, for a middle or high school boy, who obviously doesn't care about his grade!

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What if he just.."Loved his mother"
20 pts for reference.

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas

Icon 106 posted      Profile for I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I Love Tom Lehrer!

--------------------
"You hold the Prince so I can duct tape his bottom to keep the bugs out." - My Mom

Posts: 193 | From: The Fabulous Finger Lakes, New York | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WittySquirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WittySquirrel   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm having some doubts about the cursive writing. If you ask me, it looks as if it's written by someone who just started learning cursive writing and is struggling to get the loops and spaces correct. I vote hoax overall.

The second paper - NOW that's how a teacher should/would write! I vote for real.

--------------------
My blog. (WARNING: May contain nuts)

Posts: 158 | From: Penang, Malaysia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it wrong that I particularly like the picture of Lou Gehrig that says "Lou Gehrig is smiling because he got daily rim jobs from the girls at Scores"?

As for the teacher's writing, I have to admit I have horrible handwriting, especially cursive, because in kindergarten when I was starting to write with my left hand my teacher said that was the "wrong hand" and made me switch to my right. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tantei Kijo
The First USA Noel

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Tantei Kijo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tantei Kijo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to say that the teacher's handwriting, childish or not, is too legible to be a real teacher. The Hitler essay is much closer to someone grading 30 to god-knows-how-many papers.

Tantei "Oedipus won't bomb, if he winds up with mom" Kid

--------------------
Bender: Though you may have to make a metaphorical "deal with the devil". And by "devil", I mean the robot devil, and by "metaphorically" I mean get your coat. ------------ My sad site: A new way to be bored.

Posts: 722 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Franks N Beans
A Thousand Potatoes Yet to Go by K. P. Dutie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Franks N Beans   E-mail Franks N Beans   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Fake or not, have to give the essay some credit for the historical accuracy of sexuality in Greece during that time period.
http://www.bigeye.com/sexeducation/ancientgreece.html

Either way, it's good for a quick laugh!

Posts: 14 | From: Alta Loma, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages