snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » Waffle House -- your friendly neighborhood bomb shelter

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Waffle House -- your friendly neighborhood bomb shelter
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 212 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I was told by a friend who is generally trustworthy that Waffle
House restaurants are set up to be evacuation/bomb shelter sites
throughout the US, complete with a basement area with 20 cots and
provisions. Is there any truth to this?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
patriot1
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for patriot1   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Never heard of that, and they are kinda small buildings. (Great food though, especially after a long day driving. But I digress....) And on top of that, they don't have locations everywhere, I have yet to find one in my home state of Michigan (though there are a couple in northern Ohio off of I-75, that's the closest they get to Michigan that I know of).

--------------------
"Pray....one for another." JAMES 5:16 NKJV

Posts: 26 | From: Wayne, Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
charlie23
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie23   Author's Homepage   E-mail charlie23   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is one that I know of in Longview, Texas that I used to frequent after working night shift. It didn't have a basement at all, so that one certainly wasn't a bomb shelter.
Posts: 156 | From: Varna, Bulgaria | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They just built one near where I live. I drive past it regularly, and did all the time it was under construction: I think I'd have noticed that much excavation.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
qualli
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
well, in an emergency waffles can be eaten, whereas cots can not.

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cactus Wren:
They just built one near where I live. I drive past it regularly, and did all the time it was under construction: I think I'd have noticed that much excavation.

I don't think anyone's built a new bomb shelter for decades. If this is true at all, it's probably on a very limited scale, back in the 50's and early 60's.

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rehcsif:
quote:
Originally posted by Cactus Wren:

I don't think anyone's built a new bomb shelter for decades. If this is true at all, it's probably on a very limited scale, back in the 50's and early 60's.

-Tim

Bomb shelters are still being built today, generally through the private sector. Schools that were newly built when I was growing up were built as fallout shelters, as well, though I haven't seen one of those in 15 years or so.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But if an enemy missile hits a Waffle House, the patrons will be smothered and scattered.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by qualli:
well, in an emergency waffles can be eaten, whereas cots can not.

Actually the whole shelter can be constructed of waffles... lemme check my old civil defense pamphlets... brick 3', concrete 2'6", lead 1", ... ah, here it is: Waffles: 12'6".
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
But if an enemy missile hits a Waffle House, the patrons will be smothered and scattered.

YOMANK! And if I can suvive Armageddon living on pecan waffles, then the End Times can't be too bad.
Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, good, there's a Waffle House just two blocks from home. Looks like I'm living in a safe place!

ETA: Patriot1, maybe you could use an IHOP instead?

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There are Waffle Houses in 25 states. States where there aren't any include the northeast and the West Coast.

Interesting that it would be an "evacuation center" with just 20 cots.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Atlanta Jake
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atlanta Jake   E-mail Atlanta Jake   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow! here's one I can personally attest to! My brother works for a company that makes blueprints. I also worked there for several years (part time on the side). One of our customers was the architect that designs all of the Waffle Houses (I think he was actually a WH employee, rather than a private architectural firm). I delivered many sets of prints and specs to various job sites around Atlanta (also made the prints, and bound the prints and specs). I never saw anything on the prints, in the specs or on any job site that indicated that there were bomb shelters in or under Waffle Houses.

There is, however, a huge waffle plantation in south Georgia. I swear it must have 2,000 waffle trees.

Atlanta "Scattered smothered and covered" Jake

--------------------
Remember Kids, Don't try this at home!

Posts: 1366 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen a couple of Waffle Houses completely flattened around here. The foundations were cleared and all that stuck out were a few pipes - no entrances to underground shelters.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astra:
I've seen a couple of Waffle Houses completely flattened around here.

Now you know why strong waffle houses are so important for national defense.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for put it in writing   Author's Homepage   E-mail put it in writing       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:

Now THAT was funny!

--------------------
and it's 1 - 2 - 3, what are we fighting for? don't ask me, I don't give a damn

Posts: 1319 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ew. Waffle Houses. Nasty, filthy, vile places. If Waffle Houses are bomb shelters and they're my only choice for shelter in case of nuclear war, I'm gonna end up glowing in the dark.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages