snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » NetZero Postcard Contains Racist Message -- Again

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NetZero Postcard Contains Racist Message -- Again
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 18 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Paula Crone said she got a postcard recently that had a racist message on it bad enough that she won't let her 10-year-old son see it.

The message was on a postcard sent by Internet provider NetZero. The particular racist phrase was part of the activation code that someone would use to begin service with the company.

What makes the story even more strange is that this is the second time this has happened to the Crone family.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/10534679/detail.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well... that has to be 100% intentional. Someone's getting axed.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chia
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Chia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The video said that NetZero claims a disgruntled employee was behind it. How convenient.

--------------------
It's on, baby, like a Baptist's V-Chip! - Get Fuzzy

Posts: 101 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
unklesamta
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unklesamta   E-mail unklesamta   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I may be a dunce, and the video wouldn't load...but what was the racists statement? i mean was it a slur or a comment like "all so-and-so's are stupid?"

--------------------
The less you know, the more you believe. -Bono

Posts: 457 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to know what the Crone family did to get the employee to get him so disgruntled?
Once might be random twice sounds like they really ticked him off.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by unklesamta:
I may be dunce, and the video wouldn't load...but what was the racists statement? i mean was it a slur or a comment like "all so-and-so's are stupid?"

It was in the video- the activation code was stupidni****. [Eek!]

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Anyte
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anyte   E-mail Anyte   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As per the video, the username on the card is "stupidni****666" the middle section of the letters was blurred in the video. It also sounds like the previous incident involved a batch of cards bearing similar messages, not just one to this particular family.

--------------------
Too broke to pay attention

Posts: 452 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
unklesamta
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unklesamta   E-mail unklesamta   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow...not exactly subtle huh?

--------------------
The less you know, the more you believe. -Bono

Posts: 457 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I understood it as saying a year ago it was a disgruntled employee who had the cards sent to many people in the area. Now it seems as if many cards were sent again, but they don't know who did it this time. Seeing as how they claimed last time to having put preventative measure in place, I'm curious how it did happen a second time. My first thought was that they have a program that recycles access codes after a certain amount of time, and they neglected to purge this one. Or another employee took the example of the last one and got around the safeguards that are supposedly in place.

Also, I thought in the video that I saw the (censored) card and it said "stupidn*****f****er." The shorter version was bad, but this one is offensive on even more levels. No wonder the lady wouldn't want her son to see it, I wouldn't show that to my mom!

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's the image I capped from the video:
 -
I don't see any evidence of the "F" word there but what I imagine to be there is bad enough for sure.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Little Duck, there are two places in the video where part of the message is blanked out. On one of the shots, you can definitely see "stupidn*****f***er," as noted by NeeCD. It's toward the end of the clip, I think.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Signora LOL - while I was trying to cap it (who the heck ever knew that what every other video program used for pause would be used as play) I probably missed the second one. Let me have at it again (damn videos with no fast forward features...)

ETA of course this time when I did the cap, the area of the video was blank...still trying.

ETA (Again) I cannot get it to cap the second postcard showing, for some reason. I was actually shocked the first time worked since I have never until that point been able to cap from a video. But, I do see the N****f*** as mentioned, though it is much more difficult to see, not nearly as clear as the first one.

--------------------

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
emperor_genghis_khan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emperor_genghis_khan   E-mail emperor_genghis_khan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder how long until some lawsuits are filed.

--------------------
Excuses satisfy only those who offer them. Your enemies won't believe them and your friends don't need them.

Posts: 211 | From: Ponce, Puerto Rico | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck

quote:
Originally posted by emperor_genghis_khan:
I wonder how long until some lawsuits are filed.

I wonder how many more cards are out there. Whenever we get anything like that I usually just toss them out.

--------------------

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 84 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
After reading the article and watching the video clip, I've come up with a hypothesis for what happened.

Last year, someone at NetZero sabotaged the program that generates activation codes by modifying it so that when a certain trigger event occurred (such as the calendar reaching a particular date), the program started spitting out cards with activation codes of 'stupidnigger****er666.'

For whatever reason (perhaps because they couldn't find it), NetZero handled the problem not by removing the rogue code, but by adding a filter that scans activation codes for "bad" strings (such as '****er') and removes them. However, they neglected to put 'nigger' on their list of bad strings.

This year when the trigger event occurred, the program again started generating cards with activation codes of 'stupidnigger****er666'; the filter caught the string '****er' and removed it from the activation codes, thereby producing a bunch of cards with the only slightly less insulting string 'stupidnigger666' instead.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages