snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » Build an Eckerd, attract a Walgreens

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Build an Eckerd, attract a Walgreens
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 206 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to urban legend, the best way to get Walgreens to build in a particular community is to entice Eckerd to build there first.

http://www.star-gazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061126/NEWS01/611260302/1001

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alluvian
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alluvian     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't even know Eckerds was still around. About a year or two ago every Eckerds in our area (east orlando) was replaced by a CVS Pharmacy.
Posts: 97 | From: Florida - USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
•In Penn Yan, the new Walgreens store that's on the drawing board will stand across the street from a Rite Aid pharmacy -- not an Eckerd, but a competitor just the same.
Not to mention it will be the fifth pharmacy in a village of about 5000, has shut down 2 local businesses, and torn down a large apartment house. We've lost so much housing to development in the last few years that rents are too high for those working in the minimum-wage jobs being created.

I could go on, but as you can see, my munchkin is dangling.

White*growling at overdevelopment*Canvas

--------------------
"You hold the Prince so I can duct tape his bottom to keep the bugs out." - My Mom

Posts: 193 | From: The Fabulous Finger Lakes, New York | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Ota Faction
Happy Holly Days

Icon 201 posted      Profile for The Ota Faction   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Ota Faction   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have nothing to contribute except to say that this is the first time I've seen someone other than myself use Elmira's paper as a cite. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are." - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
"That lonely recluse who lives down the road is crying out. So is that pregnant teenager. And the prostitute. And the drunkard."
Join the Free State Project - I did!

Posts: 1516 | From: *sigh* Elmira, NY | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
annabohly
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annabohly   E-mail annabohly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
we have Walgreen's every 3 blocks round here (at least it seems like it)

--------------------
And always remember....when life hands you Lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over !!!!!

Posts: 521 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
emperor_genghis_khan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emperor_genghis_khan   E-mail emperor_genghis_khan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We haea ton of them here. Right across the street fro another pharmacy.

--------------------
Excuses satisfy only those who offer them. Your enemies won't believe them and your friends don't need them.

Posts: 211 | From: Ponce, Puerto Rico | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RealityChuck/Boston Charlie
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Author's Homepage   E-mail RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Silly. We've had Eckerds here for at least a decade. No Waldgren's yet (though there are plans -- and it's a mile from any other stand-alone pharmacy; the location was chosen simply because its owner was willing to sell to them)).

Both (along with CVS and Rite Aid) are large drugstore chains that are expanding and which aim are similar demographics. It's not surprising they're all going to pick places to exapand that are near to each other.

Posts: 675 | From: Schenectady, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bad Actor
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bad Actor   E-mail Bad Actor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Since they do the same traffic studies, compete for the same customers, and generally are constantly in battle, I see nothing strange about a Walgreens near other drug stores.

--------------------
Bad Actor
_ _ _ _ __________________ _ _ _ _
Shhh! Vast Right-wing conspiracy at work...

Posts: 74 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buckleupp
Away in a Manager

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buckleupp   E-mail Buckleupp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In my city, a few years ago around 20 or so new buildings were built and completed to house Eckerd stores, a business we'd never had in the state before. They were hoping to give Walgreens some real competition.

Somehow the Eckerd deal fell through and they decided to jump ship, leaving all those beautiful finsihed pharmacy buildings empty.

The side effect (har) is that before the deal fell through, Walgreens panicked and built a mess o' new locations near each of the proposed Eckerds. So now there are about 20 more Walgrees stores, each next to an empty Eckerd that will never be.

--------------------
HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh...excluding that first Ha. -Stewie Griffin

Posts: 112 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
marlboro
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 603 posted      Profile for marlboro   E-mail marlboro   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In my city we have dozens of Happy Harrys Drug stores and they have just sold their pharmacies to Walgreen so now Walgreen is everywhere. Our Eckerds is just two miles away from our Riteaid. You could say there is a drug store on every corner.
Posts: 1 | From: Bear, Delaware | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pondicherry Pi
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pondicherry Pi   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pondicherry Pi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In this area, it seemed more like Eckerd was following Walgreens around. However, most of those Eckerds seem to have gone out of business.

Meanwhile, you can't swing a cat without hitting a Walgreens in my neighborhood.

--------------------
If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

What the NFBSK is Glurge? Or, a link to Snopes Lingo

Posts: 218 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages