snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » Domino's guarantee

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Domino's guarantee
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 81 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: When I was managing the local Domino's pizza (in Washington
state) the rumor for why we dropped the "30 minutes or less" guarantee was
that a driver was told to speed and get a pizza delivered on time by his
manager and on that delivery he hit and killed a small child. I never
really believed it, but it was a good story for explaining that we no
longer had the guarantee. I was just speaking with a Domino's manager in
Idaho and she said that this story is told "like gospel" in her store as
well. Thing is... we googled it and came up with nothing so far.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: When I was managing the local Domino's pizza (in Washington
state) the rumor for why we dropped the "30 minutes or less" guarantee was
that a driver was told to speed and get a pizza delivered on time by his
manager and on that delivery he hit and killed a small child. I never
really believed it, but it was a good story for explaining that we no
longer had the guarantee. I was just speaking with a Domino's manager in
Idaho and she said that this story is told "like gospel" in her store as
well. Thing is... we googled it and came up with nothing so far.

It was mentioned by somebody from Dominoes on the history channel show "American Eats". It is true in that it happened, but the guarantee was dropped of other reasons too. Something about speeding problems with other drivers.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's funny...just last night I was thinking about the old guarantees that the pizza places used to have. I'd always just figured that it led to more accidents in general and that was the reason they discontinued it; I never knew that there was supposedly one accident that had been the pivotal point.
Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dropbear
Angels from the Realms so Glurgy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dropbear     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Obviously some people's googling skills are poor. 10 minutes searching got this:
quote:
After a number of lawsuits for auto accidents involving delivery drivers Domino's Pizza Inc. learned its lesson about its compensation strategy. About 10 years ago Domino’s had 30-minute delivery guarantee. To encourage drivers to get there with the pie, some stores paid drivers a bonus of 1 percent for delivering a minimum number of pies on time, according to testimony from one employee.

The system cost Domino's BIG bucks. In 1993, the company reached a $2.8 million settlement with the family of an Indiana woman killed by a delivery vehicle allegedly speeding to meet the 30-minute guarantee.

Later that same year, a jury awarded a St. Louis woman $750,000 in actual damages plus $78 million in punitive damages. She was injured by a Domino's driver who ran a red light. Rather than appealing, Domino's and the woman later settled for an undisclosed amount. The company ended its 30-minute guarantee a few days later.

From this site.

For point of reference I plugged in the terms "pizza driver accident speeding guarantee" and it was the second item down.

Dropbear

--------------------
" The villagers had said justice had been done, and she'd lost patience and told them to go home, then, and pray to whatever gods they believed in that it was never done to them. -- (Terry Pratchett)

Posts: 823 | From: Hobart, Tasmania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Obviously some people's googling skills are poor.
Whose skills. I quoted my source as a tv show and you confirmed both snopes and me. It defiantly happened, but there were other traffic accidents and liability reasons that didn't justify continuing it.

I was wrong about it being speeding by I admitted that i wasn't sure.

EDIT, ok, i can see what your trying to say... My post made it seem that it wasn't one accident, which isn't totally accurate, my bad.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dropbear
Angels from the Realms so Glurgy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dropbear     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by diddy:
quote:
Whose skills. I quoted my source as a tv show and you confirmed both snopes and me. It defiantly happened, but there were other traffic accidents and liability reasons that didn't justify continuing it.

EDIT, ok, i can see what your trying to say... My post made it seem that it wasn't one accident, which isn't totally accurate, my bad.

I was refering to the last line in the OP, not to your post.

Dropbear

--------------------
" The villagers had said justice had been done, and she'd lost patience and told them to go home, then, and pray to whatever gods they believed in that it was never done to them. -- (Terry Pratchett)

Posts: 823 | From: Hobart, Tasmania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy

quote:
Originally posted by Dropbear:
quote:
Originally posted by diddy:
quote:

I was refering to the last line in the OP, not to your post.

Dropbear

Sorry, I was a wee bit protective back there, ignore my last post.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?

chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This was discussed in a recent Corporate Ethics luncheon I went to.

The speaker talked about how corporations will verbally discourage a behavior but fiscally support it. In this case, Dominos told drivers not to speed, told them they'd get in trouble if they were caught speeding, but then penalized them if the 30 minute guarantee was missed.

Faced with, on one hand, a possible punishment for something they might not get found out on, and a definite punishment for something they would get found out on, it's easy to guess which most would pick.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Smalltime33
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smalltime33     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I worked for Domino's back when it was free after 30 minutes and when it went to $3 off after 30 minutes. We were not penalized, per se, if the order was late.

We were asked to hustle between the store and our car and between our car and the store. We were also admonished and told "If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean." Maybe that was just me.

The real point is, drivers often sped and still do because the more pizzas they deliver in an hour, the more they make an hour. It is no different than any other commissioned sales force. If a car salesman sells 30 cars in a month, he makes much more than if he sells 20 in a month. If a delivery driver delivers 12 orders in an hour, he makes much more than if he delivers 6 orders in an hour.

Domino's Pizza had a flat rate delivery commission then. I believe it was $.85 a delivery, the last I worked for them. I haven't a clue what it is now.

I was never given a speeding ticket while on the clock, but I did speed. It sure caused a lot of wear and tear on my vehicle too. Lots of fun for a high schooler or college student.

Posts: 10 | From: Indiana | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ericsmom
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ericsmom   E-mail ericsmom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know of several people (one was my brother) that were in car accidents involving local Dominos Pizza drivers speeding and blowing through stop signs.
Posts: 106 | From: Dumont, NJ | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages