snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » Cocoa Pops vs. Choco Crispies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cocoa Pops vs. Choco Crispies
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 23 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: When I was a kid/early teenager, the cereal "Cocoa Pops"
announced -- with a TV advertising campaign-- that it would be changing its
name to "Choco Crispies". There was an enormous public protest
(allegedly...), then some sort of vote, and they ended up changing it
back.

However, I know many people convinced that the whole thing was a clever
marketing scam... can you verify whether it's true or not? I don't like to
think a company would be so un-straight with its customers, particularly
with the kids at whom the adverts were mainly aimed.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Page Three     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The cereal is known as Coco Pops in the United Kingdom, New Zealand, Ireland, Finland, Italy, Greece, Israel, France, South Africa, Hong Kong and Australia. It was briefly renamed in 1998 to Choco Krispies in line with Germany and Spain, where it is known by this name. However after falling sales and a telephone poll in which the British public voted, its name was reverted in 1999.
Wikipedia

There's a slight mistake in there -- they used to be called Coco Pops here too and are now called Choco Krispies. The name change made sense to me when it happened, because "choco" sounded like chocolate and I'd wondered why they had that coconut-sounding name. (Cocoa = Kakao, so that association doesn't work in this language).

Posts: 315 | From: Berlin, Germany | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Winter Morning
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Winter Morning     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cocoa Puffs are better.

I'm kookoo for 'em.

Morning

Posts: 321 | From: Ohio (Land of Good Morning) | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages