snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » Would I really be a Lord? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Would I really be a Lord?
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I did think of that Anwndur, although it was more along the lines of "Would this be considered rejection of citizenship?" It is something to consider I suppose. It seems like it would be official, and possibly recognized (to at least some small extent) by the US.

Any learned US Snopesters want to weigh in on this?

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Anwndur
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anwndur     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RelicMan:
I did think of that Anwndur, although it was more along the lines of "Would this be considered rejection of citizenship?" It is something to consider I suppose. It seems like it would be official, and possibly recognized (to at least some small extent) by the US.

Any learned US Snopesters want to weigh in on this?

I wouldn't worry about anything from Sealand though. To quote Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealand

"In 1990 a US Administrative Court also ruled that Sealand was not a valid sovereign nation, following evidence from James Murphy of the Department of Trade and Industry. On appeal in 1991 the decision that the state called Sealand does not exist, and has not ever existed was upheld by a US Federal Court."

And in any case, Sealand was destroyed by fire in June of this year.

--------------------
'I don't care what they say about me as long as they spell my name right.' P.T. Barnam

Posts: 128 | From: Staffordshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And in any case, Sealand was destroyed by fire in June of this year.
But they are rebuilding it, so it's just a matter of time.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

I suppose I'll never get a nifty, official title then. [Frown]

Well, at least I didn't have to pay for the name I got already. [Smile] It would have been neat, though . . .

Relic "Just a plain ol'" Man

--------------------

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

I hate to double-post again but I've received the papers.

It is pretty much what I expected it to be. A couple of "official" papers stating that we are Lord and Lady that could easily be created with any half-way decent printer. "Official Document" is stamped on the lower left-hand side of the paper which again would be easy to create. We also each got a handy wallet-sized document saying we have the right to call ourselves Lord and Lady.

The documents give the exact location for our 1-foot plot in coordinate fashion, but fails to show where it is on a map. We apparently have a plot, we just have no idea where it is.

Be that as it may, I still think my wife will enjoy the surprise. [Smile]

Relic "Lord of the one-foot manor" Man

--------------------

Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The documents give the exact location for our 1-foot plot in coordinate fashion, but fails to show where it is on a map. We apparently have a plot, we just have no idea where it is.

No problem. Just use Google Earth to locate it.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Floater:
quote:

No problem. Just use Google Earth to locate it.
And post the coordinates (or a link to Google Earth) here, so that we know where to visit your realms.

Don "humble servant, m'Lord" Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
remigo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for remigo   E-mail remigo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Don Enrico:
And post the coordinates (or a link to Google Earth) here, so that we know where to visit your realms.

You mean, so we know where to stage our bloody uprising.
Up the rebels!

--------------------
If you don't cry it isn't love
If you don't cry then you just don't feel it deep enough

Posts: 238 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

lol You guys . . . [lol]

I'll try looking it up in the next day or two, but I'm not sure if they are map coordinates or some weird plot system he came up with. I'll let you either way in a while. Busy with work and all that. [Smile]

--------------------

Errata

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Unless it happens to be on the border of the grid, you'd have to trespass on other lords' private estates to get there. Watch out for attack ants.
Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 212 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Errata:
quote:

Unless it happens to be on the border of the grid, you'd have to trespass on other lords' private estates to get there. Watch out for attack ants.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same plot they sell over and over again.

--------------------

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
RelicMan, I was curious about the land sale.

strange looking land deed

I notice the same company is selling Lord of Sherwood Forest, Scottish Laird titles, and German Graf Von Lahnstein titles too.

I notice that they had only 15 titles available from your first link in the OP, but now they have an additional 19.
I guess their laser printer is kept busy.

j-has lots of back garden space that he could sell on the net-w [Wink]

ETA: The company has a 99.6% satisfaction rating on eBay. Go figure.
Double ETA: I've realised that probably relates to their abilty in sending on the documents, to conclude the sale.

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Anwndur
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anwndur     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You could divide your estate up into smaller plots of, say, one square inch, and as lord of the manor make a nice tidy sum selling knighthoods and such like.

As to the question of how to access your estate without trespassing on the lands of other lords, field boundaries often have rights of way between them wide enough for a footpath.

--------------------
'I don't care what they say about me as long as they spell my name right.' P.T. Barnam

Posts: 128 | From: Staffordshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Mahone:
quote:
Originally posted by Zachary Fizz:

AFAIK, these "Lord of the Manor" titles do not actually make you a Lord in the constitutional sense. (Not that it has any particular significance in the Republic of Ireland, anyway).

Does the Republic even have such titles? It has no monarchy, after all.

Pogue

Not NOW, but it did once, and AFAIK it has not abolished those titles. Therefore, those who were granted titles before the Republic and their heirs may still use them--just no new ones may be created. Same goes for countries on the continent that used to be monarchies but are now republics (Germany, France, Portugal, Italy, etc.). (Even here in the US, we sometimes find people who use titles from the old Kingdom of Hawai'i.)

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 212 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elkhound:
Not NOW, but it did once, and AFAIK it has not abolished those titles. Therefore, those who were granted titles before the Republic and their heirs may still use them--just no new ones may be created. Same goes for countries on the continent that used to be monarchies but are now republics (Germany, France, Portugal, Italy, etc.). (Even here in the US, we sometimes find people who use titles from the old Kingdom of Hawai'i.)

I'm not sure about Germany. As far as I know all noble titles are void, but the old families go around this by giving their children names like Printz, Herzug and so forth. In my opinion quite laughable on the same level as balding people having comb-overs. Who do they think they are fooling?

--------------------

Nion
We Three Blings

jwhoo: Yep, that's more or less what the "land deed" looks like. He did send me, via e-mail, a few images relating to the sale. One is a grid map of the area in which my wee manorial land resides. I think that's what the coordinates relate to.

Errata: But, but . . . I'm a Lord! I can do as I wish! [lol]

Anwndur: I now have that part of Monty Python and the Holy Grail running through my head. "Yes, a path! A path!"

--------------------

Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lord Relicman
In the UK and Ireland we have a unique system of grid references on maps, not directly related to latitude and longtitude. Perhaps your deed has the Irish National Grid co-ordinates.

Your most humble and obedient servant:

Eddy

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico

Icon 210 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Floater:
quote:
Originally posted by Elkhound:

I'm not sure about Germany. As far as I know all noble titles are void, but the old families go around this by giving their children names like Printz, Herzug and so forth. In my opinion quite laughable on the same level as balding people having comb-overs. Who do they think they are fooling?
Not exactly. Germany abolished all noble titles in the wake of the revolution of 1918 (Novemberrevolution). There is no nobility and there are no noble titles anymore.

What used to be titles, however, became parts of the last name. The former "Graf Edward von Hohenzollern" now is "Edward Graf von Hohenzollern", with "Graf von Hohenzollern" being his last name. You would adress him not by any nobel form of adress (like "Hochwohlgeboren"), and not as "Herr Graf", but as "Herr Graf von Hohenzollern".

The only difference to other last names is that female members of the family may use the name in it's female form: "Gräfin von Hohenzollern".

Don Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations, Lord RelicMan. And don't forget, if you are the only lord in the neighbourhood, you can call youself The Lord!

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
Congratulations, Lord RelicMan. And don't forget, if you are the only lord in the neighbourhood, you can call youself The Lord!

And remember to buy yourself a couple of rings.

--------------------

Ron Miel
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Miel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why not contact the international star registry, and have a star named for her instead [dunce]
Posts: 39 | From: London, England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages