snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » Would I really be a Lord? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Would I really be a Lord?
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I came across an interesting ebay auction that cheefully informed me I could become a Lord by purchasing a square foot of property in Ireland.

My question is how legit is this? Would I really be considered a lord, and own a piece of land? I like the idea of owning a piece (albeit a small one) of Ireland. Oh, the Lord part would be nice, too! [Big Grin]

Anyone have thoughts? Sorry if this is a bad place for the thread. I didn't really know where this fell on the boards.

Click here to see the auction.

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
halibut
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for halibut   E-mail halibut   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cool!

I'll add that right next to the square mile of the moon I own [Big Grin]

Posts: 216 | From: Lincoln, UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Generaly most of these 'purchase a Lordship' things tend to be just for novelty value. I'm not sure how you tell the difference, although I suppose cost is one way.

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
See, my anniversary is coming up later this month and I thought it would be neat to give my wife the plaques showing that we're now "Lord" and "Lady". However, I can't justify the price unless knowing there's at least some truth to it.

Novelties are great, but are not worth $30+ US. lol

--------------------

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 200 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RelicMan:
See, my anniversary is coming up later this month and I thought it would be neat to give my wife the plaques showing that we're now "Lord" and "Lady". However, I can't justify the price unless knowing there's at least some truth to it.

Novelties are great, but are not worth $30+ US. lol

Perhaps the best bit is that all Irish snopesters would have to bow, and address you as "milord". I don't know what the protocol for doing this over the internet is, but perhaps webcams can be used to ensure compliance. [Big Grin]

AFAIK, these "Lord of the Manor" titles do not actually make you a Lord in the constitutional sense. (Not that it has any particular significance in the Republic of Ireland, anyway). Still less in the biblical sense.

It would allow you to call yourself "Relicman, Lord of Flippertigibbett" (or wherever), but you wouldn't be able to call youself "Lord Relicman, of Flippertigibbett". I think that real Lords, who may have had to pay substantial amounts to Mr Blair's government for their titles, would think of you in the way that real Ferrari owners think of guys with a glassfibre Enzo body on a Pinto's running gear. However, I really don't think you should care about this, unless you frequently hobnob with European aristocracy.

Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Thanks for the info, Zachary Fizz. [Smile]

Somehow, I don't think I'm going to be rubbing elbows with "official" Lords and Ladies anytime soon! If I ever did, I could explain it away as just being another clueless American. [Wink]

Well, I'm going to go ahead and do it. I think my wife will get a total kick out of it! When I get all the info and whatnot via the mail, I'll let you know what it says, etc.

Relicman, Lord of . . . well something, anyways

--------------------

Zachary Fizz

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[bows and doffs cap] You are welcome, my liege [Smile]
Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Zachary Fizz:
quote:

[bows and doffs cap] You are welcome, my liege [Smile]
Woo-hoo! Here I come, good life! [lol]

Well, the ball is rolling. Here's what I got so far:

quote:
Dear customer,

Upon receiving this message please send us, as soon as possible, via e-mail
the NAME which you wish to have in your DOCUMENT, the name of the product
you would like to have, the product number, and your delivery address.

For the title of Lord please include the description, I.e. Lord of Cork.

If we do not receive a name for the document within 2 days, we will assume
that it is your name that you want in the document and not a different name,
perhaps as a gift for someone else.

Upon receipt of your payment, we will complete your documents and ship them
to you. Please expect a delivery time of up to 10 days after payment.

Without this information, delivery becomes impossible.

Thank you.

4micromax

I paid the extra coinage to make my wife a Lady (waits for bad puns sure to follow) and made sure to remind the seller of that. lol

I passed on our names and indicated I would be happy with Lord and Lady of Barony. We'll see what happens. [Smile]

RelicMan, (almost) Lord of Barony [fish]

--------------------

Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now if I bought a one-square foot estate in Ireland, I'd want to make sure that one day I could buld a wee little house on it.

Have ye considered becoming Lord Luvaduck?

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Winter Morning
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Winter Morning     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like a fun novelty!

But uhm.... Fake Titles, a page by Richard, 7th Earl of Bradford.

Not trying to burst your bubble, just being a good snopester and providing a cite!

Morning Fog

Posts: 321 | From: Ohio (Land of Good Morning) | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
An alternative that gives the title directly from the regent, not through some twist of an ancient law, can be found here: http://www.sealandgov.org/ (look under shop).

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
Now if I bought a one-square foot estate in Ireland, I'd want to make sure that one day I could buld a wee little house on it.

Aye, so a leprechaun can live there!

I'm especially amused by their suggestion, "Lord of Cork." I know what it means, really, but it sounds like you're the lord of those things you stuff in wine bottles.

About a year ago, among my friends, I declared myself the Lord of Bagel Sandwiches.

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

AFAIK, these "Lord of the Manor" titles do not actually make you a Lord in the constitutional sense. (Not that it has any particular significance in the Republic of Ireland, anyway).

Does the Republic even have such titles? It has no monarchy, after all.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Morning Fog:
Sounds like a fun novelty!

But uhm.... Fake Titles, a page by Richard, 7th Earl of Bradford.

Not trying to burst your bubble, just being a good snopester and providing a cite!

Morning Fog

I just like the fact that technically we can say we are Lord and Lady of Barony. lol

I do thank you for the link, though. [Smile]

--------------------

Nion
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
An alternative that gives the title directly from the regent, not through some twist of an ancient law, can be found here: http://www.sealandgov.org/ (look under shop).

Hmm, a possible gift to myself (okay, and my wife!) for Christmas? [Big Grin]

It would almost certainly be worth it, just so I can inform people they must call me Lord. Haha.

--------------------

Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You could be Lord E. Lordie.

You wife could be Lady Fingers.

What fun!

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey! I'm Lady Fingers! At least as long as the current theme goes on...

*points to user title*

[Smile]

Apart from that, I welcome thy, Lord RelicMan, among the elite class of noble snopsters.

"Don" Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I had an Irish title, I'd want to be Lord O'Mercy.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lady Mondegreen is already taken, right?

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by guruwan2b:
Lady Mondegreen is already taken, right?

I think the original taker gave it up. It's all yours if you want it, Guru.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Mahone:
quote:

AFAIK, these "Lord of the Manor" titles do not actually make you a Lord in the constitutional sense. (Not that it has any particular significance in the Republic of Ireland, anyway).

Pogue

No, Ireland does not have titles as they are specifically banned by the Irish Constitution.
quote:
Article 40

2. 1° Titles of nobility shall not be conferred by the State.

2° No title of nobility or of honour may be accepted by any citizen except with the prior approval of the Government.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skeptic:
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Mahone:
quote:

Pogue

No, Ireland does not have titles as they are specifically banned by the Irish Constitution.
quote:
Article 40

2. 1° Titles of nobility shall not be conferred by the State.

2° No title of nobility or of honour may be accepted by any citizen except with the prior approval of the Government.

AFAIK, there are some Irish lords still around - folk whose ancestors received Irish peerages before 1921. I've never met one, though.

ETA: here's wikipedia's page on the Irish peerage.

Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It would almost certainly be worth it, just so I can inform people they must call me Lord. Haha.
Yep. I sign official papers (such as the police report when my car got bumped a while ago) with Baron A Troberg, and as yet, no one has challenged it. I take this as a possibility for me to claim that the Swedish government has given a de facto recognition of my title.

I still havn't managed to get my boss to approve it on my business cards, though...

At least it allows me to look down on you simple peasants. [fish]

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
AFAIK, these "Lord of the Manor" titles do not actually make you a Lord in the constitutional sense. (Not that it has any particular significance in the Republic of Ireland, anyway). Still less in the biblical sense.

I think it is possible to buy similar 'titles' in England. Occasionally these come up for either auction or purchase. You can then legally call yourself, 'Lord of the Manor of ...'. However, you own no property and there is usually no perks with the title, it's just a fun thing. You cannot call yourself 'Lord ...', either. I heard that some can be bought for as 'little' as £2,000.

I will go on 'Google' and see what I can find.

ETA: Here you go - genuine English titles for as little as £2,000.

quote:
You will acquire a title with a genuine place in history, dating back to the Middle Ages.

If you purchase an English manor title, you will be able to call yourself the Lord of the Manor of an actual town or village in England, and your spouse may be called Lady of the Manor.

All titles are inheritable, and may be held by anyone from around the World.

If you wish, you may add your title to official documents, such as passport, credit cards, driver's licence or bank accounts.

All documentation is processed by English Solicitors, and transactions are covered by Solicitor's liability, and professional indemnity insurance, underwritten by the Law Society of Great Britain.

Titles may be good investments - they are in limited supply, and in demand.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
remigo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for remigo   E-mail remigo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Perhaps the best bit is that all Irish snopesters would have to bow, and address you as "milord". I don't know what the protocol for doing this over the internet is, but perhaps webcams can be used to ensure compliance. [Big Grin]

That will certainly not be the case! I'm from the part of Ireland known as the Rebel County (Cork) and in fact, if you become a Lord, I will have to uprise against you and try to fight you with a wooden hurley, even though you may have a real gun. Luckily the battlefield will be online, so hopefully neither of us will actually die.

Seriously, even if it is fake, it's a really sweet anniversary gift! Your wife will love being told that she is your Lady.

--------------------
If you don't cry it isn't love
If you don't cry then you just don't feel it deep enough

Posts: 238 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by remigo:
quote:
Perhaps the best bit is that all Irish snopesters would have to bow, and address you as "milord". I don't know what the protocol for doing this over the internet is, but perhaps webcams can be used to ensure compliance. :D

That will certainly not be the case! I'm from the part of Ireland known as the Rebel County (Cork) and in fact, if you become a Lord, I will have to uprise against you and try to fight you with a wooden hurley, even though you may have a real gun.
I agree. Here in the "Kingdom County", we haven't had much of a problem with the local gentry since we burnt down their houses about 80 years ago during the War of Independence.
There's still a few around, but not in pest numbers.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz

Well, Relicman, I hope your ebay seller warned you that you risk being hit on the head by remigo's virtual hurley, and having your house burned down by skeptic [Big Grin]

On a more positive note, you have bought a lordship which might be the same sort as that held by the ancestors of Michael Collins, one of the founding fathers of modern Ireland. Although his family had long since been disposessed when he was born.

Anwndur
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anwndur     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As I understand it, no new creations have been made in the peerage of Ireland since it was incorporated into the UK in 1801, but descendants of previous creations obviously still exist. After the creation of the Irish Free State in 1922 the right of members of the peerage of Ireland to inherit seats in the British House of Lords was removed, though existing members could remain until their own deaths - thus some Irish peers remained part of the British legislature until, I believe, the 1960s.

Not to be confused with the peerage of Ireland is the peerage of the United Kingdom, which is a separate class of peerage created in 1801. Many people have been created peers under this system, some of whom have been Irish and have chosen titles with an Irish geographical reference. These people retained an inherited seat in the House of Lords until they, along with lords from the peerages of England, Scotland, and Great Britain, were denied that automatic right in 1999. Currently there are only 92 hereditary peers in the House of Lords, elected for life by all the other lords.

Needless to say, you cannot get a peerage by buying a plot of land, and must be granted letters patent from the monarch. You may, however, become liable for land tax.

--------------------
'I don't care what they say about me as long as they spell my name right.' P.T. Barnam

Posts: 128 | From: Staffordshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
AFAIK, there are some Irish lords still around - folk whose ancestors received Irish peerages before 1921. I've never met one, though.

Actually, there are still quite a few. One of the most prominent being Lord Henry Mountcharles of Slane, the geezer responsible for the big gig held in his castle grounds most summers, in an effort to maintain the lifestyle he's grown accustomed to. [Wink]

ETA: I recently heard he's passed it on to his son, thereby unsuring continuance of the family's hereditary seat at the British house of Lords.

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Billy Biggles
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy Biggles   Author's Homepage   E-mail Billy Biggles   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Never mind Ireland, are the Scots flogging titles? Mrs Biggles and I want to be Lord and Lady here:

-

--------------------
Cogito ergo sum, non sum qualis eram. Putting Descartes before the Horace every time.

Posts: 377 | From: East Anglia, UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Wow! I missed a lot. lol

Thank you , remigo. I think she will get a big kick out of it. She is also fascinated with Ireland, so saying she owns a piece of it will be a big thing for her. [Smile]

Zach: I never knew being a Lord could be such a deadly occupation! I agree, at least my wounds will be digital. [Big Grin]

Anwndur: Well, land tax can't be THAT bad on one foot of land, can it? lol

Oh, and about this Sealand thing . . . I'm fascinated with the idea of getting a real, official title and whatnot. Would that be a real, official Lordship title thingy? Would I be able to put "Lord RelicMan" on my checks and whatnot? lol

Worry not, for I will remember you little people in my position of supreme power! [fish]

--------------------

Nion
We Three Blings

I hate to double-post but seriously, anyone?

I'm not trying to stroke my ego, I just think that having such a title would make for one hell of a conversation starter. I also think it would make for a great sight-gag to (legally) have "Lord" before my name on my checks. [lol]

So, is there any doubt about this Sealand thing? And what would be the real privileges awarded me for gaining the title of Lord?

I'm not going to pay even more "poundage" to get something equally useless as what I've already purchased, and whatnot and therefore . . . (mumbling).

Relic "But officer, I AM a Lord!" Man

--------------------

Troberg

quote:
Oh, and about this Sealand thing . . . I'm fascinated with the idea of getting a real, official title and whatnot. Would that be a real, official Lordship title thingy? Would I be able to put "Lord RelicMan" on my checks and whatnot? lol
The title is real enough, but the claims of nationhood of Sealand is disputed, and those who dispute it could dispute the title as well.

quote:
And what would be the real privileges awarded me for gaining the title of Lord?
Bragging rights and the right to despice peasants. And an impressive paper certificate.

--------------------
/Troberg

Nion
We Three Blings

Hmm . . . I'd agree that its claim to nationhood is disputed (and a very fun read!), but HAS been recognized by no fewer than three different countries, and possibly more.

I'm going to HAVE to get a Lordship from there, I think. I just can't help but smile at the idea of a guy shooting at British soldiers and having it end with the territory being declared a de facto nation. [lol]

--------------------

Anwndur
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anwndur     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I just can't help but smile at the idea of a guy shooting at British soldiers and having it end with the territory being declared a de facto nation. [lol]

Hmmm... not the first time something like that has happened in history, methinks.

Seriously though, as an American citizen I believe that you would be in breach of your constitution to accept a (genuine) foreign title of nobility. Better be careful...

--------------------
'I don't care what they say about me as long as they spell my name right.' P.T. Barnam

Posts: 128 | From: Staffordshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages