snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » Old Navy supports witchcraft (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Old Navy supports witchcraft
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 219 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Do proceeds from Old Navy stores support witchcraft or satanic
organizations? My son-in-law has told me he has heard this and will no
longer allow his wife to shop there.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nazmazh
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nazmazh   E-mail Nazmazh   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
...There are still people who believe stuff like this out there?

--------------------
The Answer is 42

Posts: 36 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I don't shop at places that have the "Jesus Fish" on their signs, so that's fair...

Seriously, though, after poking around on the GAP and Old Navy websites, I'm now more inclined to actually do business with them (I've been in an Old Navy exactly once, and a Gap Outlet twice). According to their site, they seem to want to avoid the whole sweatshop game and even monitor their factories (something Nike can't seem to grasp), they have environmentally sensitive policies, and they do community outreach programs. Yep, if that's all evil and satanic, I guess it's a good thing I'm agnostic and don't care. [Wink]

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
NeeCD, the thing about the "Jesus Fish" that bothers me is that I wonder if the people displaying it are sincere Christians or if they are using that symbol to bring in business. I'm a little suspicious of it because it seems to me that they are commercializing their faith, so I tend not to do business with those places, either.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Drama Queen Of Mars
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drama Queen Of Mars   E-mail Drama Queen Of Mars   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[hijack]Does it bother no one else that the person who made the original comment seems unphased by the fact that his/her daughter is being told where she is and is not allowed to shop by her husband?[/hijack]

Anywho, I've heard that same kind of comment made but it was about Hot Topic not Old Navy which would be slightly more logical if logic ever played a role in topics like this. However the person who said this to me is one of those who believes that if you aren't displaying a "Jesus fish" somewhere on your person then you must be part of some death worshiping satanic cult so I tend not to pay too much attention to such comments from her.

Drama "I must really be helping Satan then" Queen

--------------------
WARNING: Men viewed through beer goggles may be uglier than they appear!

Posts: 50 | From: Springfield, OH | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Cow
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Cow   E-mail Purple Cow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drama Queen Of Mars:
[hijack]Does it bother no one else that the person who made the original comment seems unphased by the fact that his/her daughter is being told where she is and is not allowed to shop by her husband?[/hijack]

That bothered the heck out of me... it also bugged me that the person referred to the couple as "my son-in-law" and "his wife" and not "my daughter."

--------------------
No one ever wants the super boob.
-Dr. Heisler, American Dad

Baby Alex!

Posts: 233 | From: Roanoke, VA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago:
NeeCD, the thing about the "Jesus Fish" that bothers me is that I wonder if the people displaying it are sincere Christians or if they are using that symbol to bring in business. I'm a little suspicious of it because it seems to me that they are commercializing their faith, so I tend not to do business with those places, either.

Signora, I was being flippant, but there was a grain of seriousness in my first statement, and you've nailed it. As I said, I'm agnostic, but it really does bother me when people use a religious symbol in a commercial way (excluding actual religious businesses, of course - every Christian bookstore I've ever seen uses a crucifix somewhere in their advertising, for example). Having said that, if I were doing business with someone already and discovered that they were doing this, I wouldn't necessarily boycott them, but it would make me think twice about initiating a business transaction with such a company.

--------------------

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 605 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I wanted to "support witchcraft," where would I send the money? Is there a National Witchcraft Council or something? Are they non-profit?

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Well, I would start with handing some cash over to my Wiccan cube neighbor at work. [Razz]

--------------------

lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If I wanted to "support witchcraft," where would I send the money? Is there a National Witchcraft Council or something? Are they non-profit?

Make the cheques out to Campain Against Satanist Harrasment (or CASH for short) and send it to me. I'll make sure it gets to where it's needed.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 19 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw that gag on The Beverly Hillbillies. The putative organization was "Citizens Against Super-Highways," as I recall.

- snopes

Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Never been to a Old Navy. Other than clothing I do not know what thay sell.

Maybe they just put out the halloween decorations a week earlier than some other stores.

Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 219 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lazerus the duck:
quote:

Make the cheques out to Campain Against Satanist Harrasment (or CASH for short) and send it to me. I'll make sure it gets to where it's needed.
Or, you could send it to me. Several people think that I'm just an old witch. [lol]

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if the person posing the question bothered to ask her daughter's husband for support for his allegation, if only a "Oh? Where did you hear that?"

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:
I wonder if the person posing the question bothered to ask her daughter's husband for support for his allegation, if only a "Oh? Where did you hear that?"

The implication would be that this was likely an "older" person, though, obviously, not enlightened. Thus likely to accept everything as gospel (pun intended), without asking questions.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
qualli
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As a witch I'll be happy to take your money snopes, It could go in my fix-the-familiar fund

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My husband hates Old Navy because he thinks their ads are insanely obnoxious. Since we haven't got TV, I don't know where he's watching all these ads, but anyway... now I have an excuse "See honey I have to shop there, they support witches!" [Big Grin]

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

My brother was ripped off for thousands of dollars by people who proudly displayed the fish symbol on everything they owned, and later told him that he would never succeed in business because he wasn't a Christian.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Anywho, I've heard that same kind of comment made but it was about Hot Topic not Old Navy which would be slightly more logical if logic ever played a role in topics like this.

/hijack/ Surprisingly, Hot Topic is owned by the same company that owns Gap, Old Navy, and Banana Republic. If somewhere in the grapevine that the OP heard it from knew that, s/he could have twisted around the Hot Topic UL into a Gap Company UL. /End hijack/

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

quote:
Originally posted by Mickey is a weather girl:
quote:
Anywho, I've heard that same kind of comment made but it was about Hot Topic not Old Navy which would be slightly more logical if logic ever played a role in topics like this.

/hijack/ Surprisingly, Hot Topic is owned by the same company that owns Gap, Old Navy, and Banana Republic. If somewhere in the grapevine that the OP heard it from knew that, s/he could have twisted around the Hot Topic UL into a Gap Company UL. /End hijack/
Mickey, I'm curious where you got that information, because it conflicts with what I saw when I was looking earlier.

The Gap site lists Old Navy, Banana Republic, and Forth & Towne as brands, but not Hot Topic. Hot Topic's site says that it was started by Orv Madden in 1988 (Gap was started by Don Fischer in 1969), and has its own stock listing (HOTT) which I don't think it would if it were part of another company. Plus it doesn't mention being part of Gap Inc.

--------------------

Pondicherry Pi
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pondicherry Pi   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pondicherry Pi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
NeeCD, the notion that Hot Topic is owned by Gap is a common legend around here, so it might be in other places as well. (I think the idea is the irony of it all. As in "If only those silly goth/alternative kids knew their money was going to their commercial arch-enemy -- the Gap!")

In fact, I had a disagreement with my husband over that very subject the other night. I tried pointing out that my Banana Republic card works at Gap and Old Navy, but not Hot Topic and he still wouldn't believe me.

So, thanks for the info. I think the stock symbol and the fact that the websites don't mention ownership means I might be winning this argument. Heh. [Wink]

--------------------
If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

What the NFBSK is Glurge? Or, a link to Snopes Lingo

Posts: 218 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

You're welcome. Of course, the fact that there isn't any mention of one another on their sites only proves how deep the evil conspiracy is. [Wink]

--------------------

die daagliks phosdex
Monster Mashed Potatos & Grave-y

Icon 303 posted      Profile for die daagliks phosdex   Author's Homepage   E-mail die daagliks phosdex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: Do proceeds from Old Navy stores support witchcraft or satanic organizations? My son-in-law has told me he has heard this and will no longer allow his wife to shop there.

This no doubt recalls similar rumours involving McDonald's restaurants some 25 years ago, based on the (supposed) boast of a high-level executive from the chain claiming on Phil Donahue's show that they donate profits to the Church of Satan; remember those rumours?

--------------------
"Nie lees die hoofopskrifte--lees die daagliks phosdex in plaas ..."

Posts: 1316 | From: Winona, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NeeCD:
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey is a weather girl:
quote:

Mickey, I'm curious where you got that information, because it conflicts with what I saw when I was looking earlier.

The Gap site lists Old Navy, Banana Republic, and Forth & Towne as brands, but not Hot Topic. Hot Topic's site says that it was started by Orv Madden in 1988 (Gap was started by Don Fischer in 1969), and has its own stock listing (HOTT) which I don't think it would if it were part of another company. Plus it doesn't mention being part of Gap Inc.

An ex of mine that worked for Old Navy while I was dating him told me that. They're affiliates or something. I don't know the details, and I haven't spoke to him since December of 2003, and I don't intend to speak to him now over something so trivial. Not trying to be snarky- I just have no desire to talk to him.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd heard the "Banana Republic owns Hot Topic" thing before, but only as a UL. I believe a Gap employee posted something here about it before IIRC.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Signora, I was being flippant, but there was a grain of seriousness in my first statement, and you've nailed it.
[lol] [lol]

Yes, I can have a strange sense of humor.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

*groan* And that's 1 pt. for Doug [Razz] (Pun was most definitely not intended.)

Mickey, I thought it might have been something like that (FOAF), and no, I wouldn't expect you to hunt down an ex for something like this. It isn't really important, I was just curious about it.

--------------------

Doug4.7

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
*groan* And that's 1 pt. for Doug [Razz] (Pun was most definitely not intended.)

Weee! I gotta point! I was just reading the JCS thread and remembering all of the puns in that story ("He's top of the poll (pole)").

[rant mode]I also have troubles with the "Christian" stores (the ones that display the fish). It really goes against what the fish meant. I guess most know this, but it was a SECRET sign that someone was a Christian, when being a Christian could get you killed (lion food and such). Now it has become a status symbol (on just about everything). I bet most of those fish would vanish if one could get ARRESTED or KILLED for be a Christian. A whole lot of them would make a major about face if they were faced with persecution ("Hey, I'm not really one of THOSE people, I just had that fish to get more business...").[/rant mode]

--------------------

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:
quote:

Weee! I gotta point! I was just reading the JCS thread and remembering all of the puns in that story ("He's top of the poll (pole)").

**double groan** I was trying so hard to ignore that, but what the heck.
[Big Grin] [lol] [lol] I nailed it! **gasping for breath** [lol] [lol] [Big Grin] Whew!

--------------------

Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

[rant mode]I also have troubles with the "Christian" stores (the ones that display the fish). It really goes against what the fish meant. I guess most know this, but it was a SECRET sign that someone was a Christian, when being a Christian could get you killed (lion food and such). Now it has become a status symbol (on just about everything). I bet most of those fish would vanish if one could get ARRESTED or KILLED for be a Christian. A whole lot of them would make a major about face if they were faced with persecution ("Hey, I'm not really one of THOSE people, I just had that fish to get more business...").[/rant mode]

But, but....don't they already face persecution, what with all those godless heathens saying "Happy Holidays" and refusing to let them make other people's kids pray?

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hot Topic is it's own company. It is not owned by a larger corporation, and definitely is not affiliated in any way with The Gap, Old Navy, or Banana Republic (although those three stores ARE actually part of the same company).

It really is getting to be a common urban legend - I've heard customers mention it. I suppose it's meant to be ironic, but it just gets annoying after a while.

I remember a Newsweek article from a few years ago about the Gap and its sister stores. It had an illustration of their sales strategy and was quite interesting. Apparently they sell the same basic garment at all three stores, but in different configurations. At Old Navy, they might sell a polyester blouse with plastic buttons. At The Gap, the same basic blouse pattern would be sold, but in a nicer fabric with fancier trims and a higher price tag. At the Banana Republic, the blouse would be silk with pearl buttons and again, a higher price.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

quote:
Originally posted by A Plague of Nonny:
But, but....don't they already face persecution, what with all those godless heathens saying "Happy Holidays" and refusing to let them make other people's kids pray?

Oh yea, right... [Roll Eyes]

When I see Christians being fed to lions on FOX, THEN I will believe we are being persecuted...

--------------------

Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
When I see Christians being fed to lions on FOX, THEN I will believe we are being persecuted...

Fox is feeding Christians to the lions? I'm so there, dude! [Razz]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
quote:

Fox is feeding Christians to the lions? I'm so there, dude! [Razz]
Well, it might get them some good ratings...

--------------------

Dragon's Jewel
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dragon's Jewel   E-mail Dragon's Jewel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd pay to see that...

No! No! BAD Dragon! Of course I'm kidding. Though it sounds like it would be better than Celebrity Duets.

On the Jesus fish subject, I will always remember one time when my parents were visiting my little brother's elementary teacher (who they absolutely loved up until this point... and keep in mind that my little brother is about to graduate high school, so this was a while ago) and the subject of the fish came up. She mentioned to them that her husband had a hat with a fish that had grown legs with Darwin written on it (as if the point itself wasn't obvious enough). My parents came home in SHOCK I tell you SHOCK, whispering frantically to each other about how her husband was ungodly.

Too bad that I grew up to be a taoist...

--------------------
Tyger, Tyger burning bright
In the forest of the night
What immortal hand or eye
Hath framed thy fearful symmetry?

Posts: 74 | From: Charlotte, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages