snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » Boats. "$1000.00 per foot".

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Boats. "$1000.00 per foot".
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 211 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Was there ever a general rule of thumb that boats cost a thousand dollars per foot of length. I have heard it a few times, back as far as the mid 70's.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I worked at a custom boat builder in high school, and they had a general retail price of $2,000 a foot. At the time, the mass produced boats (Bayliner for example), were indeed running at about $1,000 a foot. This of course, wasn't an absolute rule, but it did tend to work out pretty close.

--------------------
Towknie: Ryda-certified as wonderful, enlighted, and rational.

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This works up to about 40 feet... then the price goes up to around $2000 and more... until around 60'.

For 80', it is NOTHING to see price tags in the $800,000 and WAY up.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think someone is trying to apply a linear formula to an inherently non-linear situation. It really doesn't make sense to try to consider a linear formula for yacht prices, but it may just work out if you limit yourself to dealing with a particular range. If you zoom in enough on a curve, it tends to look flat, even though its not. In a sense instead of a "price per foot" measure, you'd just be taking the derivative of the formula at a certain point. Also, some smallest boats might run into some fixed costs that make them relatively more expensive than they otherwise would, making the lowest end of the curve slightly more linear.

Think about it. A boat that is the same style but triple the length is also approximately triple the width and triple the depth. That means its not triple the boat, its about 27x the boat, which is an absolutely enormous difference that isn't sufficiently captured by tripling the price. Its nearly unthinkable that a linear formula could hold up. At $1000 a foot, we could buy cruise liners for California home prices. A cubic equation (with possible lower order components) fits very roughly with your observations Malruhn.

Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know that the general rule of thumb for superyachts is around $1,000,000 per metre.

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hans Off:
I know that the general rule of thumb for superyachts is around $1,000,000 per metre.

I'd believe it. I saw some huge superyachts last year in Australia, five or six decks, some had helicopters on the back. Even their tenders were better than anything I am likely to own.
Guess when you are buying something like that you really don't worry about the price.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RealityChuck/Boston Charlie
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Author's Homepage   E-mail RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a rule of thumb, which, by definition, is not expected to be accurate in every single case.

I heard it in the 60s and early 70s, and it made sense for most boats at the time. By now, I'd assume inflation would make the number higher.

Posts: 675 | From: Schenectady, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages