snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » Pooping Barbie dog pulled from shelves? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Pooping Barbie dog pulled from shelves?
Wolf333
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolf333     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
//Sort of a double hijack here

As for names like "tanner" being trendy, my name is Michael. Do you have any idea how many Michaels were born in 1969? In my graduating class, we had more Michaels than Johns, Davids and Charlse combined. Just because it is a "traditional" name doesn't mean it wasn't trendy at one point.

I have also given my pets "human" names. A tarantula named Orlo (my father's middle name) and two ferrets named Nikki and Logan. Logan was named after Wolverine (the Marvel character) after I saw him attack the vacume cleaner (full blown attack... there was no fear there - he just wanted to kill the big thing) and Nikki got the name after several sneak attacks - "La Femme Nikita" style.
The most unfortunate pet name that I have personally encountered was a husky pup named Tristen. This was a good friend of mine, who just had bad taste in pet names. I called the dog "Little Bear" because as a pup he would show affection by shuffling towards you like a bear cub, butt his head against you and "huff."

--------------------
"We take evil really seriously"

Posts: 175 | From: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Buzzkiller:
(c'mon, what's funnier than a cat named Mike?)

A fish named Fluffy. May she/he/it rest in peace.

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey Blue:
Who names a dog Tanner? Naming an animal with a human name is stupid, now let me go off to find and play with my dog.

All of the "most popular dog/cat names" lists I've seen have many "human names" as the most popular. Examples:

quote:

TOP TEN MOST POPULAR PET NAMES:
1. Max
2. Maggie
3. Buddy
4. Bailey
5. Jake
6. Sam
7. Molly
8. Nicky
9. Coco
10. Sadie

Most Popular Dog Names

Male:

1 Max
2 Jake
3 Buddy
4 Bailey
5 Sam
6 Rocky
7 Buster
8 Casey
9 Cody
10 Duke
11 Charlie
12 Jack

Female:

1 Maggie
2 Molly
3 Lady
4 Sadie
5 Lucy
6 Daisy
7 Ginger
8 Abby
9 Sasha
10 Sandy
11 Dakota
12 Katie
13 Annie
14 Chelsea

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Beckalina
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Beckalina     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Buzzkiller:
(c'mon, what's funnier than a cat named Mike?)

How about a chameleon named Fred? I loved that little guy. He hijacked his way to our house on some aloe plants brought back from Florida.

Continuing the human names for pets hijack, my parents, brother, and I have a family of Shih Tzus. Bernard (Bernie) Leo and Gabrielle (Gabbi) Noel belong to my parents, Bailey Ann belongs to my brother's family, and my baby is named Isabella (Bella) Autumn.

As for the pooping dog toy . . . I've got nothin'.

--------------------
Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change.

Posts: 41 | From: West Central Ohio (Wee. Farms.) | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder into human names for pets on occassion. It's kind of hit and miss. Family pet names growing up to present.

Dogs: Legs, Zack, Barnie, Cocoa, Chi-Chi, Rosie, Gidget

Cats: Smokey, Lacy, Maria, Mr. T, Zark

Rabbits: Speedy, Radar, Nike, Butterscotch

Guinea Pigs: Beth, Oreo

Hamster: Fred

Fish: Monster, Blacky, Boobah, Old Yeller

El "man, I've had a lot of pets" wood

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Anyte
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anyte   E-mail Anyte   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Family pets include:
Dogs: Oreo, Maggie, Mischa
Rabbits: Maeve and Mac
Guinea Pigs: Katie, Blondie, Sylvie, Autumn, Candy
Hamsters: Spice, Pumpkin, Ginger
Dwarf hamster: Muffin

In addition to having no problem with human names, we apparently have a thing for the letter "M." The hamsters were all golden hamsters, the dogs are/were all mutts, the guinea pigs (all except Katie) had names descriptive of their coloring, at least to an extent. Muffin was a biter, which is why we never got another dwarf hamster.

Anyway, I'm in favor of any toy that encourages people to clean up after their pets.

--------------------
Too broke to pay attention

Posts: 452 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elwood:

El "man, I've had a lot of pets" wood

Hah! That's not a lot of pets... [Big Grin]
I don't think I can even remember all my pets' names, I've had 4 dogs (unless you count the found stray/foster dogs, then it's more like 12), 2 cats (again, closer to 12-15 if you count fosters) and one on the way, 2 rabbits, 1 guinea pig, 6 ferrets, 2 rats, countless fish (goldfish/bettas/convict cichlids/guppies both 'fancy' and 'feeder'/zebra danios/etc, probably around 20 frogs of various kinds- Bullfrogs/American Toad/African Clawed Frogs/African Dwarf Frogs/Leopard Frogs, etc), 3 anoles, 1 green snake, 5 mice, 4-6 newts, over 100 hamsters-mostly Syrian hamsters with a few Dwarves, crawfish, and I am probably forgetting some species... If anyone is curious you can read about some of my pets including names and photos here.

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gaia
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaia   E-mail Gaia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow Xia, that is a lot! I'm up ther with you. My whole family are animal lovers so we pick up any and I mean ANY animal that we come across. We've had I guess close to 100 cats (this was before spaying a neutering was common here). 5 pigeons, 3 sparrows, 2 crows, 2 parrots, 23 parakeets, 2 ducks, 1 rooster 1 land turtle, 5 little turtles, 2 hamsters, 2 kangaroo rats, 5 dogs, 5 frogs, A lot of fish, some shrimp and I'm probably forgetting some but that is close enough.

About the names, right now my cats are named, Tyty, Camila, Sceare, Hormiga(ant), Lavi, Gringo, Bocho(VW Bug). The dogs are named Tammy and Shasta . The goldfish is called Mochin(Gimp, because he doesn't have a tail) The parakeets and the parrots don't have names). So we have lots of criteria for naming them, I guess they look like what their names are.

--------------------
Smile....It confuses people!

Posts: 29 | From: Toronto, ON | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
00-Saleen
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 00-Saleen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What's wrong with a cat named "Mikey"? That's one of my hometown gang. With me I have Terry (the pica one), Archie, and Bibbi (okay I made up the last name myself), and my now-retired sniffer dog Sasha.

Now, little girls named guy names (Mackenzie, Madison, on and on ad nauseum)--arrgh.

Posts: 239 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Neeva
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Neeva   E-mail Lady Neeva   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My youngest sister has this weird habit of assigning really off the wall names to pets.

Back when we were kids, Dad used to raise horses... and he made the mistake of telling us kids we could name one foal per year. For three years running, she named every foal after kitchen appliances! Refrigerator, Microwave, and Countertop heh. I suspect Dad renamed those when he sent in the papers lol! Although there is a fairly well known quarter horse named Refrigerator (different breed entirely, so I know it's not the same horse heh) so apparently it's not THAT uncommon.

She also named her goldfish "Lunchmeat" when she was about 17, and when she was 20 or so she got an oscar and named it "Rover" lol.

Currently, our oddest named pet is Moo... a 13 inch long plecostomus (big brown algae eater that pet stores sell without ever mentioning they can live 20 years and get to almost 2 feet long with proper care... Moo is currently 10).

Posts: 58 | From: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia

I had some weird pet names as a kid too... My first hamster was named Hambrain, and then I had to come up with something that sounded similar and someone suggested Hamburger, and it stuck. Then I got on a food-name-spree and I had hamsters named Hot Dog, Coca-Cola, Sprite, 7up and Pepsi. Recently a friend of mine got a bunch of hamsters and I mentioned my soft drink names, so she ended up naming hers Cherry Coke, Crystal Pepsi, Wild Cherry Pepsi, etc... I also had an African Clawed Frog named Piggy Mouth and later one named Duck-a-duck. The first name makes sense if you've ever seen an ACF eat (they shovel the food into their mouths with their front legs) and I got the name because that's how my neighbor's 4-year-old said "Mickey Mouse." Duck-a-Duck was how he said Donald Duck, so that just "naturally" came next...

I don't know any cats named Mikey but I knew two dogs named Mikey... One was owned by my dogs' groomer and the other by a friend who also used that groomer, so it was really funny when the one Mikey went in to be groomer and the groomers' dog Mikey would be at the shop...

ETA: I also have a dog named Pooch, which is almost as bad as Fido. I didn't name him though, he sorta came with the name even though he was a stray...kinda long story there [Razz]

--------------------

smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smackmac     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I find the idea of the Barbie no less gross than the Baby Alive (of which I had an original, doesn't that date me?). It teaches (some) responsibility.

Now on to the hijack:

My pets have all had rock & roll names.

Cats:
Pagey (after Jimmy Page)
Black Sabbath
Kashmir
Dazed
Confused
Lars (after Lars Ulrich)
Mars (OK, he was named that when I got him from the pound, but I figured he was a pal of Ziggy Stardust and was just missing four legs)
Sully (after Sully Erna from Godsmack)

My only dog:
Smokey (Again, named that when we got him from the pound, but I listed his name at the vet to be Smokey on the Water)

Anoles:
Diamonds
Dust (both from the AC/DC song "Sin City")

Black Sabbath and Confused got busy before I had Sabbath neutered, so we ended up with a rock & roll band:
Bon
Angus
Malcolm
Cliff
Phil

--------------------
"Maybe getting in the last word doesn't really mean you win." - The Clarks

Posts: 486 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What? Boutros Boutros Doggie was not in the top 10? I am shocked, I tell you, shocked.

As far as the OP. I. must. get. one.

It will be the perfect companion to Walter the Farting Dog.

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's kinda silly myself, as toys go, but it doens't bother me. Of course, I'm the weirdo that actually enjoys mucking out horse stalls, so make of that what you will [Big Grin]

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tootsie Plunkette:
There was a Barbie a few years ago (Veterinarian Barbie?) that came with a cat and litter box with litter. You could give the cat water and it would use the litter box. The trick was, you squeezed the cat to make it pee and (if I recall correctly) the pee came from the cat's belly.

I know I bought one, not sure if we gave it to our friend the vet or if it's down among our toys and games.

While digging among the toys to find my original bubble-cut Barbie for the latest photo challenge, I found my "Kitty Fun" Barbie. And here's Dave Barry's take on "Kitty Fun" Barbie.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Going back to the topic, sort of: I did see an ad for the Barbie and dog on Saturday, so if it was pulled they haven't notified the TV stations.
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MareUnwritten
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MareUnwritten   E-mail MareUnwritten   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi everyone! THis is my first post here and as a dog collector and animal lover, I can't think of a better topic! [Razz]

When I first saw Barbie and "Tanner" in Wal-Mart, I just about died laughing and then convinced myself I was just being a werido and there HAD to be a better explanation then Poop'n Scoop'n Barbie. Apparently I was wrong.

I hardly doubt, as one poster suggested, that the kids will volunetter to clean up doggie doo after they get this doll. It's a wonderful thought, but being only 24 I remember being a kid pretty well still, and when I was a little girl God Himself would've had one heck of a time getting me to clean up any sort of bodily waste. In fact, as an adult I'm the type that gags and dry heaves when faced with cleaning up bodily explusions.

Honestly I don't see the harm in it. I mean, there was Betsy Wetsy and Baby Alive and a million of drink and well dollies out there, why not a dog? Or a cat? Maybe it'll make kids realize that pets take responsibility, or maybe they'll just have fun being gross. (I can only imagine what little brothers are going to do with the fake dog poo) But it's hardly obscene. Though I may pick up one to keep in box for my collection, just in case they really do get pulled. This is a Barbie SNAFU worth remembering! [Razz]

And as for not using human names for pets, I used to be on that kick too when I was younger. Then I as I grew up, got involved with rescue and now consider my pets furry kids, the human names are getting used. In fact, out of our current eight pets, all of them have human names:

Dogs - Abby, Holly, Skyler, Rusty
Cats - Evita, Nicky, Simon Meowell, Katy

Looking forward to more chatting with ya'll! [Big Grin]

~ Mare ~

--------------------
~ Mare ~

"The rest is still unwritten..."

Posts: 1 | From: Kalamazoo, Michigan | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome to the boards, MareUnwritten!

Smackmac, a friend of mine in high school also had a cat named after the drummer from Metallica. She insisted that "Mini-Lars" would head-bang from time to time. Apparently he was too shy to do it in front of me.

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As I write this she probably changed her screen name (MareUnwritten) but anything with Mare in the name will suffice....STAY AWAY FROM HER! SHE'S WACKO! More wacko then a girl who will sit here and tell you how WACKO She IS!!

~Monica

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Um, I think we get to decide that for ourselves, Angel.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
HA you think you CAN Decide that for youself but she's crafty, back stabbing, and ruthless. She seemingly has 7 personalities that I can think of. Take it from some one who's known her for YEARS she's a PSYCHO!

~Monica

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Daniceguy
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 84 posted      Profile for Daniceguy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the pooping Barbie dog is the PERFECT gift for all those poor kids who won't get a talking Jesus doll in their stocking this year!

--------------------
"Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes!"

"No it isn't."

Posts: 171 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Who names a dog Tanner? Naming an animal with a human name is stupid.

Well, my former landlady's last name is Tanner, and she's an old bitch. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My schoolfriend had a cat called Paul. I thought that was hilarious.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brillo Bee
Wii Three Kings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brillo Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I mentioned them in another thread, but in grad school I had two fish named Porkchop and Steve. I think Steve is the greatest fish name ever. I later had another fish named Mel Torme.

My current kitties are Bruce and Peter. Partly because I enjoy the comic effect of human names for pets, partly because I wouldn't give a member of my family a silly name like Snuzzlebutt. Which, now that I say it out loud, really doesn't make any sense given that I was considering T-Bone as a name. Oh well.

Bee

--------------------
People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools. -Alice Walker

Posts: 335 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My friend Eamon had a cat named Chicken. That always made me laugh...

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Atlanta Jake
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atlanta Jake   E-mail Atlanta Jake   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The creepy part of the whole Barbie pooping dog to me is that after he poops, *you feed it back to him * again and again and again... (ugh!)

Well, My Daughter has a Guinea Pig with 3 colored fur (Dark Brown, White, and Tan) named S'more. I thought it was cute because those colors matched so well. The 2nd GP was named Chewey... which my 13 year old son thought was for Chewbacca, but the daughter confided in me that it came from the same label as S'more (it was a Quaker Chewey Granola bar - S'more flavor!) if we get another one, she swears up and down it will be named either quaker or Granola!

My Dog was named Belle (after beauty and the Beast). and my budgie was named Zippity after the song in song of the south... kind of eclectic huh?

Atlanta "how 'bout "fudge 'em" for a dogs name?" Jake

--------------------
Remember Kids, Don't try this at home!

Posts: 1366 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Atlanta Jake:
The creepy part of the whole Barbie pooping dog to me is that after he poops, *you feed it back to him * again and again and again... (ugh!)

My dog does that pretty much for herself if we'd let her.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlushingBride

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlushingBride     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Every pet I've ever had had a human name.

Dogs:
Abraham and Misti (whose previous owner assured us she was spayed!),
begat Isaac, Jacob, Esau, Ruth, and Esther.
And my current pups, Oscar (the dachshund) and Reuben (the schnauzer). (According to their official AKC registrations, however, their names are Archbishop Oscar of Meme, and Sir Reuben Bacon Sandwich. We felt silly just calling them "Rube" and "Oscar" when their parents had names like "Lady Daphne of Isis," "Meredith's Sweet Duchess Sophia" and "King Arthur Roundtable".)

Cat:
Samantha

Frogs:
Johan and Gladys (Northern Leopard Frogs)

Hamsters:
Leopold, an albino long-haired hammie (who, incidentally, has a human named after him.)
Ewan and Kenichi, a pair of dwarf Japanese hamsters. I have an ultra adorable photo of them hugging while they both drink out of their water bottle at the same time.

Oh, and I have a Sea Monkey colony, and I call all of the Timmy and Ginger. ("Shoot. Honey, hand me the monkey-scooper--looks like we lost another Timmy.")

--------------------
"In perfume, as in underwear, the scantiest of applications provides the greatest of returns." -Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 858 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandmother, I'm told, had wonderful, odd names for pets. For example, one little terrier was named FeetyPie and would growl at anyone who tried to pet it. Another dog, whose nails clicked noisily on the kitchen floor, was named Oggen Goggen King of the Ticky-tickers.

We've had a variety of names for our cats: Poindexter, Hershey, California Fats, Chiang Kai Chek (sp?), Maureen, Skittie, BT (for Baby Titten, because my brother couldn't says his k's yet), Sophie and Scamper.

I've had two dogs. One was named Sulette (a feminine version of Sulu), and the other was Shadow.

And my granddaughter has a goldfish named Patches.

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MizzyLou
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MizzyLou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As far as the OP: I think Tanner's awesome. My kids aren't really into Barbies, but I might get one for myself. One thing I learned from my kids (ages 3 and 7) is that poop is ALWAYS funny!

Now for the hijack: My husband works in a wildlife park, and there are two bears named Scott and Cindy. I don't know why that is so hilarious to me, but it is. And for some (also unknown) reason, I think that Scott is a funnier name for a bear than Cindy. Also, they once had a bear that born nearly hairless and actually lived for about 8 years. His name? That's right ... Fuzzy Wuzzy!

Posts: 264 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
^Cindy was Yogi Bear's love interest. That might be why it doesn't seem so strange.

I get the impression that "Tanner" refers to the color of the dog's fur.

My pets had human names, too. We had dogs named Sasha and Sandy (Sandy was a male. My mom said it was a unisex name) and a guinea pig named Harriet. We had so many fish that I can't possibly remember all their names.

Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

My fish are named, Mulder, Scully, and Krycek. My sister's cat is named Rupert. I had a cat named Darien, and we used to have a dog named Sydney, what's so wrong with human names for animals?

~Monica

--------------------

Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Naming an animal with a human name is stupid

Mickey, I'm afraid I have to join the pile-on here. I can hardly help it, with cats named Rene Levesque, Admiral Chester Nimitz, Maude, and Sophie, and what with having lost my sweetie little Darlene this spring, as well as Marc Antony and Bismarck a few years back.

I'll be sure to tell my mother that she shouldn't have had cats named Fred, Darryl, Marge, Janet, Starla and Phyllis.

I'll inform my aunt that having cats and dogs named Ralph, Howard, Bill, Gina, and Ivan is somehow wrong.

And I'll be sure to let my grandmother know to change the names of her current kitties, Willy Wonka and Gracie Allen. Is your dictate retroactive? Shall I ask her to dig up Mary, Ruth, Edna, Paulie, Tom, Jerry, Johnny Carson, and Danny so they can be posthumously relabelled?

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aren't all names, by default, "human names"? As in devised by the human languages.

--------------------
The salty fragrance of L’Eau D’I’mNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages