snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » Wal-Mart orientation includes Medicaid, food stamps applications (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Wal-Mart orientation includes Medicaid, food stamps applications
LOADEDGOAT
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LOADEDGOAT   Author's Homepage   E-mail LOADEDGOAT   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
Last week I was in Wal-Mart early in the morning. In the corner of the store near the garden department, the cashiers had been rounded up into a pep rally and, led by a manager, they were chanting "Gimme a 'W', Gimme an 'A'... WAL-MART! WAL-MART! WAL-MART! YAY!"

I couldn't believe it. I was a cashier once (at a different store) and although our training video showed these "pep rallys" as a morning ritual, I was told that no one actually did it.

First I was surprised, then I laughed my ass off at the thought of anyone allowing themselves to participate in such a spectacle.

Lawdy yes...there was even a squiggly in there for the dash between the words...and YES...we did them...I guess we figured we'd be canned if we didn't... [Eek!]

Let me add another ummm tidbit...Associates were fairly regular targets of shoppers with buggys and the motorized store vehicles..it was if we were invisible. We did a lot of ducking and dodging during shifts.

--------------------
~So, yesterday, I got over heated working on the truck, stung by a red wasp and bitten by a tick....just damn..*sigh*~My Friend Boomer's bad day

Posts: 51 | From: Boondocks, Georgia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kallrynne
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kallrynne   E-mail kallrynne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I worked at Walmart for about 2 years. 97-98. I don't remember anything in orientation about medicade and food stamps. I remember a really ridiculous personality test, and all sorts of tests we had to do on the computer, and the sexual harassment tapes, and ::shudder:: the pep rallies. I think I had blocked that from my memory because I had completely forgotten about it until I saw the above posts with that hideous chant.

Off topic a bit, but I ended up quitting because I didn't flirt back with a particular manager, who then decided to make my life a living hell. A few months after I quit he had been fired because he had four seperate sexual harassment suits against him.

Edited because I just woke up and can't remember dates before I've had my first cup of coffee.

Posts: 64 | From: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jinxie:
My childrens school sent home forms for free/reduced lunches, and medicaid information. and a few other things as well. We don't need them so I didn't really pay much attention to it.

Schools are probably required to distribute that information, especially since the free/reduced lunches are provided through the schools.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lainie is correct, schools are required to do that.

Not only that, but (in Texas, anyway) if a certain percentage of kids end up qualifying as low income, the school gets extra monies. So they really encourage this.

We always made jeeest enough over to not qualify. Just barely. And in one school we went to, even if you did qualify, you wouldn't DARE have taken the reduced lunches, because you would have been teased and make to feel like doo doo because your parents weren't rich. (I tranfered us OUT of that district once I figured out how things were, best thing I ever did, asshats they were). But in a lot of schools, more are on it than not and nobody thinks twice about it.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bill
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
(slight hijack:)

quote:
Originally posted by snapdragonfly:

And in one school we went to, even if you did qualify, you wouldn't DARE have taken the reduced lunches, because you would have been teased and make to feel like doo doo because your parents weren't rich.

When I was in school we also were given the info at the beginning of the year, and there was something in the info saying that the students would not know who was or was not on free lunch. But it didn't work quite that way as the teacher gave free lunch cards to the appropriate kids at the beginning of the year and they showed them in the lunch lines instead of paying cash. So the system wasn't perfect - if anyone really wanted to know (I doubt that anyone cared) they would know who was getting free lunch.

Thanks.

Bill

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator