snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » Wal-Mart orientation includes Medicaid, food stamps applications (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Wal-Mart orientation includes Medicaid, food stamps applications
LOADEDGOAT
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LOADEDGOAT   Author's Homepage   E-mail LOADEDGOAT   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
Last week I was in Wal-Mart early in the morning. In the corner of the store near the garden department, the cashiers had been rounded up into a pep rally and, led by a manager, they were chanting "Gimme a 'W', Gimme an 'A'... WAL-MART! WAL-MART! WAL-MART! YAY!"

I couldn't believe it. I was a cashier once (at a different store) and although our training video showed these "pep rallys" as a morning ritual, I was told that no one actually did it.

First I was surprised, then I laughed my ass off at the thought of anyone allowing themselves to participate in such a spectacle.

Lawdy yes...there was even a squiggly in there for the dash between the words...and YES...we did them...I guess we figured we'd be canned if we didn't... [Eek!]

Let me add another ummm tidbit...Associates were fairly regular targets of shoppers with buggys and the motorized store vehicles..it was if we were invisible. We did a lot of ducking and dodging during shifts.

--------------------
~So, yesterday, I got over heated working on the truck, stung by a red wasp and bitten by a tick....just damn..*sigh*~My Friend Boomer's bad day

Posts: 51 | From: Boondocks, Georgia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kallrynne
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kallrynne   E-mail kallrynne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I worked at Walmart for about 2 years. 97-98. I don't remember anything in orientation about medicade and food stamps. I remember a really ridiculous personality test, and all sorts of tests we had to do on the computer, and the sexual harassment tapes, and ::shudder:: the pep rallies. I think I had blocked that from my memory because I had completely forgotten about it until I saw the above posts with that hideous chant.

Off topic a bit, but I ended up quitting because I didn't flirt back with a particular manager, who then decided to make my life a living hell. A few months after I quit he had been fired because he had four seperate sexual harassment suits against him.

Edited because I just woke up and can't remember dates before I've had my first cup of coffee.

Posts: 64 | From: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jinxie:
My childrens school sent home forms for free/reduced lunches, and medicaid information. and a few other things as well. We don't need them so I didn't really pay much attention to it.

Schools are probably required to distribute that information, especially since the free/reduced lunches are provided through the schools.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lainie is correct, schools are required to do that.

Not only that, but (in Texas, anyway) if a certain percentage of kids end up qualifying as low income, the school gets extra monies. So they really encourage this.

We always made jeeest enough over to not qualify. Just barely. And in one school we went to, even if you did qualify, you wouldn't DARE have taken the reduced lunches, because you would have been teased and make to feel like doo doo because your parents weren't rich. (I tranfered us OUT of that district once I figured out how things were, best thing I ever did, asshats they were). But in a lot of schools, more are on it than not and nobody thinks twice about it.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bill
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
(slight hijack:)

quote:
Originally posted by snapdragonfly:

And in one school we went to, even if you did qualify, you wouldn't DARE have taken the reduced lunches, because you would have been teased and make to feel like doo doo because your parents weren't rich.

When I was in school we also were given the info at the beginning of the year, and there was something in the info saying that the students would not know who was or was not on free lunch. But it didn't work quite that way as the teacher gave free lunch cards to the appropriate kids at the beginning of the year and they showed them in the lunch lines instead of paying cash. So the system wasn't perfect - if anyone really wanted to know (I doubt that anyone cared) they would know who was getting free lunch.

Thanks.

Bill

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LOADEDGOAT
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LOADEDGOAT   Author's Homepage   E-mail LOADEDGOAT   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My girls get free lunches at their schools...but instead of showing "cards" or whatever...they tell the cashier the last 4 of their social security number, as do the rest of the children...

--------------------
~So, yesterday, I got over heated working on the truck, stung by a red wasp and bitten by a tick....just damn..*sigh*~My Friend Boomer's bad day

Posts: 51 | From: Boondocks, Georgia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nobody Important
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nobody Important   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LOADEDGOAT:
My girls get free lunches at their schools...but instead of showing "cards" or whatever...they tell the cashier the last 4 of their social security number, as do the rest of the children...

Yeah, most schools I've dealt with do a better job of keeping that information confidential (as they should) than they used to in years past. Either everyone gets a card, or everyone uses some sort of account number, as you said.
Posts: 482 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Ota Faction
Happy Holly Days

Icon 201 posted      Profile for The Ota Faction   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Ota Faction   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My $0.02:

I worked at Wal*Mart full time a few (ok, 11) years back, and when I inquired about the health care plan, I was asked if I had explored "other options, like Medicaid". If I had never asked, I doubt I would have been told, however.

Ahh, the anti-union videos. They were old when I worked there. I never did do the Wal*Mart cheer, however. I was always conveniently elsewhere. [Smile]

--------------------
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are." - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
"That lonely recluse who lives down the road is crying out. So is that pregnant teenager. And the prostitute. And the drunkard."
Join the Free State Project - I did!

Posts: 1516 | From: *sigh* Elmira, NY | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nobody Important:
quote:

Yeah, most schools I've dealt with do a better job of keeping that information confidential (as they should) than they used to in years past. Either everyone gets a card, or everyone uses some sort of account number, as you said.
]

They might have changed it, but at the time, at the school we went to, they gave reduced lunch kids a different color ticket AND they put them in a different line.

Insensitive much? (and yes, in fact, they were a bunch of nasty little snobs, it was so good to get out of there, ugh)

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vanilla
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vanilla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snapdragonfly:
quote:
quote:

]

They might have changed it, but at the time, at the school we went to, they gave reduced lunch kids a different color ticket AND they put them in a different line.

Insensitive much? (and yes, in fact, they were a bunch of nasty little snobs, it was so good to get out of there, ugh)

They have changed it from when you attended school.

In the US, in order to serve NSLP lunches, schools must make sure that the students served free and reduced meals are indistingushable from all other students. The majority of schools (in California at least) have gone electronic and students either use a pin number or a card to purchase lunches where the pin number/card corresponds to a free/reduced meal application or a pre-paid account paid for by parents.

--------------------
I swear, it was funnier in my head.
Yeah, I used to be pink. vanilla_pink.

Posts: 2493 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Wal Mart cheer is the only thing that really bothered me. I don't think it's fair to force employees to be peppy when they are not/don't want to be.

I guess I missed out on the union video. Lucky me. [Wink]

As for the medical insurance thing . . . Well, it's expensive EVERYWHERE and not just at Wal Mart. Hell, I just got the paperwork for insurance from my workplace and it's nuts! It would take up one third of my annual income to cover three freakin' people. I don't think so!

My wife got upset at my attitude towards it. She said she will eventually get a part time job and then we could afford it. After explaining to her that almost every dollar she earned would be spent on the insurance, she quieted down about it. [lol]

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to throw another log on the pile, I've never worked at Sprawl-Mart, but I've had friends who have. Based on what they've told me, it is my understanding that the company doesn't cover this stuff during orientation, but they will hand out government assistance forms to employees who ask about paid sick leave, health benefits, etc.

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LOADEDGOAT
I Saw Three Shipments

quote:
Originally posted by Esprise Me:
Just to throw another log on the pile, I've never worked at Sprawl-Mart, but I've had friends who have. Based on what they've told me, it is my understanding that the company doesn't cover this stuff during orientation, but they will hand out government assistance forms to employees who ask about paid sick leave, health benefits, etc.

Yes they will...if they can find it... [lol] and omg..don't even say the word sick around management..

--------------------

Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
(hijacking to comment on the school lunch programs) I'm old enough to remember when the kids getting the free lunch program were pulled out of class for an hour to work in the kitchen in order to earn their "free" lunch.

I'm appalled to remember that now, but at the time the other kids thought it was cool.

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RLobinske
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RLobinske   E-mail RLobinske   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Back in the early 70s, my elementary school used a simple card that was punched for each meal and was used for everyone, regular, reduced or free.
Posts: 296 | From: Crawfordville, Florida | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horse Chestnut:
(hijacking to comment on the school lunch programs) I'm old enough to remember when the kids getting the free lunch program were pulled out of class for an hour to work in the kitchen in order to earn their "free" lunch.

I'm appalled to remember that now, but at the time the other kids thought it was cool.

Before I found out what was going on, I thought it was cool.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horse Chestnut:

I belive that was almost certainly a regional or posibly district thing. School lunches are paid for by a federal program. There would be no need for the school or district to make up the loss. You're just a bit older than I, and it did not occur in any of the half dozen elementary schools I attended in Indiana or California.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Kids definitely don't get pulled out for free lunch and haven't in this district in my lifetime, if ever. Before the age of computerized accounting and monthly bills, they used to issue tokens for lunch, which some of us would pay cash for and others would get for free. A lot of kids with free lunch would bring a sack lunch and still pick up a token and sell the token for below "market" value. I'm ashamed to admit that I sometimes took advantage of the savings in high school. Once they switched to billing my Senior year, the practice was effectively ended for good.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxKaladin   E-mail MaxKaladin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RLobinske:
Back in the early 70s, my elementary school used a simple card that was punched for each meal and was used for everyone, regular, reduced or free.

As did mine in the late '70s.

I don't remember anyone getting pulled out of class to work for their "free" lunch. I do remember that my middle school had some paid student workers that washed trays but I don't think that was connected to the free lunch program.

Posts: 716 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Penguin Chips
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penguin Chips   E-mail Penguin Chips   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rivkah Chaya:
Medicaid effectively doesn't exist anymore

My wife and my two kids have it, they paid for all of her pregnacy.

Medicaid =!= Welfare which is what food stamps are included under. While both are based on income, depending on the state you are in minimum wage is not by the hour it is by the annual salary. In IA, its like anything below 45k, and you're considered qualified. And inregards to the OP, I think this is just a generalization that has been branded on wal-mart as being a "white trash" store, which maybe where you go it its, but my local wal-mart is clean and has alot of great people there. I've never had any issues with wal-mart. Ever.

I think it is just typical "they make more money than god so lets bring them down in some way." Like microsoft haters.

Posts: 36 | From: Scribner NE | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Penguin Chips

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penguin Chips   E-mail Penguin Chips   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, it doesn't make any sense that wal-mart would offer medicaid over there own insurance.
Posts: 36 | From: Scribner NE | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penguin Chips:
Also, it doesn't make any sense that wal-mart would offer medicaid over there own insurance.

Wal*Mart doesn't "offer" Medicaid, and they don't have their own insurance, as far as I know.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
terralioness
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terralioness   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And inregards to the OP, I think this is just a generalization that has been branded on wal-mart as being a "white trash" store, which maybe where you go it its, but my local wal-mart is clean and has alot of great people there. I've never had any issues with wal-mart. Ever.

I'm sure it has more to do with allegations that Wal-Mart doesn't pay its workers a living wage.

--------------------
"I never liked Hemingway."
"I never liked you."

Posts: 543 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LOADEDGOAT
I Saw Three Shipments

quote:

Medicaid =!= Welfare which is what food stamps are included under. While both are based on income, depending on the state you are in minimum wage is not by the hour it is by the annual salary. In IA, its like anything below 45k, and you're considered qualified. And inregards to the OP, I think this is just a generalization that has been branded on wal-mart as being a "white trash" store, which maybe where you go it its, but my local wal-mart is clean and has alot of great people there. I've never had any issues with wal-mart. Ever.

I think it is just typical "they make more money than god so lets bring them down in some way." Like microsoft haters. [/QB]

Medicaid paid for my lung removal last year...but when I began to receive SS disability benefits, they cut me off...although my children are still covered. There has also been talk of Medicaid recovering money from estates of deceased "clients" for their "benefits". I have no cites right off hand..but I betcha I can find them...it was all over the news a few months ago.

As for the wal mart beating down statement..that isn't fair...while it is true to a certain extent...I worked for them...the store I worked for was clean and beautiful...MASSIVE...but the associates were treated like crap. I was slapped by an irrate customer one day because the system wouldn't take her frigging check. Guess what?? The customer is ALWAYS RIGHT...I don't think so.

--------------------

LOADEDGOAT
I Saw Three Shipments

quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
quote:

Wal*Mart doesn't "offer" Medicaid, and they don't have their own insurance, as far as I know.
While I can't remember if the paperwork said wal mart Anglrdr, I DO know they had companies they promoted...and I had to blink at the premiums..you'd think being a wally world associate, you'd get a discount.

I can tell you, they highly promoted their wal mart shares.

--------------------

Sylvanz

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sylvanz   E-mail Sylvanz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...anything below 45k, and you're considered qualified...
[lol] That is, without doubt, the funniest thing I've seen on this message board. With all due respect "Cite" please.

P&LL, Syl'makes way less than 45k a year and doesn't qualify for benefits'vanz

--------------------
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. — Voltaire

Posts: 1944 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

While I can't remember if the paperwork said wal mart Anglrdr, I DO know they had companies they promoted...and I had to blink at the premiums..you'd think being a wally world associate, you'd get a discount.

It is pretty standard practice for companies who offer health insurance to offer a variety of insurance packages, and hardly any companies are self-insured anymore. And premiums are no joke, but Wal*Mart probably did pay for at least some of the costs, it's just that the costs are so outrageous that you wouldn't know it without really digging into it.

quote:
I can tell you, they highly promoted their wal mart shares.
I worked there in 1990 for a couple of months, and they did it then, too.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As for the wal mart beating down statement..that isn't fair...while it is true to a certain extent...I worked for them...the store I worked for was clean and beautiful...MASSIVE...but the associates were treated like crap. I was slapped by an irrate customer one day because the system wouldn't take her frigging check. Guess what?? The customer is ALWAYS RIGHT...I don't think so.

I think one thing everybody needs to consider is that, although they all fall under one company name, each store is different. Different managers handle similar situations in a different manner, and some are much worse than others.

I think a major factor is how far away they are from "Wal Mart Central", and how involved (and caring) the district manager is. I've seen horrible Wal Marts, and excellent Wal Marts.

LOADEDGOAT, you definately got shafted. Standards would call for the customer to be "kindly" asked not to bring her patronage back to the store again.

One of my fondest memories from working at the Wal Mart Tire and Lube Express in Bentonville, Arkansas involved the way my manager reacted to a beligerant customer. She wanted her battery replaced, complaining that it was defective. A diagnostic of the battery showed that it was functioning normally, and she was told that the problem was probably the alternator in her car. Oh no, it certainly wasn't her car, it was the battery!

This glorious example of evolution GRABBED A HAMMER and HIT the battery with it! She said "There, it's broken! Now replace it!" Yes, per Wal Mart policy, customer being right and all, we DID replace it. However, my manager followed up by telling the woman quite sternly that she was to never return to this shop as her business was no longer welcome.

So like I said, it all comes down to who's running the place and how much they care. Sometimes you get a good combo, sometimes not. All Wal Marts are simply not created equal.

RelicMan

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KingoHrts

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KingoHrts   E-mail KingoHrts   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a reply on the Medicaid question. Every state is allowed to run their program as they want now that the Feds have changed the money distribution status, and they are encouraged to be "creative" with their programs.

In the District of Columbia, where I work, the formula is based on the Federal Poverty Scale. For instance, to get Federal Medicaid for a family of four the limit is $833.33 a month (or $10,000 a year) which is 50% of the Federal Poverty Scale for a family of that size. But other programs exist here that can give coverage to people who make much more than that.

For instance there is a terrible problem here with infant mortality, so DC offers a program that covers pregnant mothers and young children with incomes up to 185% of the Federal Poverty Scale which means the monthly income limit is $3,083.33 (or $37K per year) for that same family of four.

The Feds recently offered states a voluntary program called CHIP (Child Health Insurance Program, I think) and the District signed up for it. It means that families that currently have no insurance can get it, and the limit for this program is 200% of the Federal Poverty Scale which is $3,333.33 per month (or $40K a year). The Feds pay a large share of these costs. In some cases up to 79% of the medical bills.

Its not 45K a year...but it is close. Of course, every state is not as generous as the District, but some others have taken the CHIP program too, so you should check with your state and find out what is available where you are.

Also, employing those persons on Medicaid or welfare does give the employers a financial bonus. This is to encourage their hiring of course, but it also means the local welfare office is much more likely to hear about their employment making welfare fraud a little less likely.

--------------------
Chuck K.

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up.

Posts: 44 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nappy Solo
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nappy Solo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would suggest anyone who would like to separate myth from fact read "The Wal-Mart Effect" by Charles Fishman. It's a fairly new book, and takes a good look at why things are the way they are at Wal-Mart. Neither pro nor con. I have no interest in Wal-Mart, nor the book (I'm not related to Mr. Fishman), but I hear so many "facts" about Wal-Mart, it's good to have an unvarnished look at the company, before I bash it or swear it's the greatest thing ever. I do agree with Penguin Chips that you can't blame Wal-Mart (or Microsoft) for all of the evil they are supposed to be responsible for.

--------------------
Virtue is its own reward. But, then again, so is vice....

Posts: 167 | From: Lincoln, NE | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Does Fishman's book conflict with any of the experiences others have posted here?

--------------------

LOADEDGOAT
I Saw Three Shipments

quote:
Does Fishman's book conflict with any of the experiences others have posted here?

Thank you AnglRdr, you beat me to it...

Let me set the record straight on my views of Wal-Fart...I don't know how other stores are run...just the one I worked at...I wasn't bashing ALL stores...but the fact that the home office for Wal Mart doesn't seem to give a shit..well...it isn't a good thing...IMHO..only that...just...that.

Edited to say: My experiences at wal mart are not myths...they are FACTS.

--------------------

Nappy Solo
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nappy Solo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Not really. And I certainly don't think if someone has worked at a bad Wal-Mart (or Taco Bell) that makes their experience a myth. There are some interviews with ex-employees and business owners who have gone bust trying to sell to Wal-Mart. As far as myths, I recently overheard two women talking about a new Wal-Mart being built in their community. They were sure the purpose was to just run the small business owners off, get everyone hooked on Wal-Mart prices, and then close the store, sending the people to a more established Wal-Mart about 50 miles away. These were reasonalby intelligent professional women, and they really believe stuff like this. If Loaded Goat had a bad experience at Wal-Mart, it was a bad experience, period. Not a myth by any means. A big part of the book explains how vendors are seduced into trying to keep up with the high demand and low margins they make selling to Wal-Mart. I don't think it's much different at Target, or K Mart, but it's just the astonishing numbers Wal-Mart puts up that keeps it in the forefront of public scrutiny. The book was a loaner from my sister, so I really can't cite anything. The funny part is, a current Wal-Mart employee is reading it at the moment, and the last time we talked he said 90% of it was really on target. (no pun intended)

--------------------
Virtue is its own reward. But, then again, so is vice....

Posts: 167 | From: Lincoln, NE | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Adrianl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adrianl   E-mail Adrianl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember that horrifyng song it is a song composed by satan i swear. I never saw the anti union video i guess i was one of the lucky ones. And yes the training is crap i only got trained for five minutes. I had health insurance through walmart provided by blue cross the insurance is worth nothing probably thanks to the walmart bigwigs. I went into the hospital for something right after i got the insurance i soon found out that i had to have the insurance for a year before they would cover the thing i went into the hospital for. Also when we first opened the head manager we had was a good guy but he quit less than a year later and the new manager was a hard guy to work for. Also the assistant managers were evil we only had one assistant manager that cared about us but she quit because of all the corruption at the place. Thank goodness i have been gone for almost 4 years and i never looked back and have moved on to bigger and better things and life is no longer a living hell.
Posts: 1 | From: Decatur, Illinois | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ica171
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ica171   E-mail ica171   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I worked at Wal-Mart, training was one eight-hour orientation day, and then if you were a cashier you were put with another experienced cashier to either watch them or work off of their register under their supervision. I never had the insurance, but stocks were heavily pushed.

I had a few crappy customers, but I also had a few that went to management and told them how helpful I was. Nothing much ever happened with management in either case, and I never had anything close to being slapped in the face. I quit because of the hours--didn't want to work in the evening anymore--and I would go back to the same store and work part time. As someone said, experiences are going to vary by store.

Posts: 384 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages