snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » Recyclables dumped as trash

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Recyclables dumped as trash
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 401 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I've heard that newspapers, bottles, cans, etc. picked up for
recycling in the City of Toronto (Ontario, Canada) are just dumped into a
different dump site than regular garbage. Is this true?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Something similar happened around here for a while. A few years ago, I watched while my neighbor's trash company (we have to contract with our own trash removal in my town) took the garbage and recycling and threw them both in the back of the truck. They were eventually caught, though, and I think they have started recycling properly now.

Eliot took care of it!

Reading the comment again, though, I don't know that there would be some "recycling dump." That would involve a whole government conspiracy, wouldn't it? This article says Toronto is giving warnings and fines to people who don't recycle.

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Something like that happened in the city of Cary, NC a few years ago. The company the cit contracted with to collect recyclables was caught simply dumping them in the landfill. I think the city slapped a huge fine on them and may have procecuted them for fraud. I remember hearing it on the news, but I can't seem to find any articles about it.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I bet the fine wasn't nearly as much as they saved from not having to recycle the stuff.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lazerus the duck:
I bet the fine wasn't nearly as much as they saved from not having to recycle the stuff.

Possible, but it's unlikely they got that contract again, so there was probably money lost there, too.

I do have to admit that even though I remember hearing about it on the TV news, the fact that I can't find any articles on the incident, even in the Raleigh News & Observer archives, is now kind of making me begin doubt my own memory.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sleeepy2
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sleeepy2     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about municipal recycling, but I have seen night cleaning staff (at least three different office buildings over the years) dumping all the recycling bins of white paper in the regular trash. I believe they may have trashed the aluminum cans as well.
Posts: 5 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WildaBeast:
I do have to admit that even though I remember hearing about it on the TV news, the fact that I can't find any articles on the incident, even in the Raleigh News & Observer archives, is now kind of making me begin doubt my own memory.

Being amazed with my uni's research databases and me being bored, I decided to search for an article and I found one!

From May 7, 2002:

quote:
Former employees of a curbside recycling company say that many of the bottles, cans and newspapers that customers thought they were recycling over the past three years ended up in landfills, The News & Observer of Raleigh reported.

Waste Management of the Carolinas frequently mixed recyclable materials with trash at its transfer station in Morrisville and had it trucked to private landfills in North Carolina or Virginia, four former employees said.

There's more to it (it doesn't say anything aout fines though), but I don't wanna get slapped with a copyvio. The title is "RECYCLER SAID TO DUMP MATERIALS - FORMER EMPLOYEES MAKE CLAIM COMPANY DENIES ACCUSATION" from the AP.

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast

Excellent work, DarkDan!

--------------------

barb64
Make Me a Fire Love

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barb64     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I work for Waste Company here in Alabama. The second largest in the country. We own landfills, transfer stations and recycleries. I know the kind of money we make by selling recyclables so anyone throwing them away must not own the recyclery.
Posts: 6 | From: Huntsville, AL | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages