snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » Ice Rocks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ice Rocks
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 605 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Is this company real? Or, is this a joke? (I hope.)
Thanks for your help!

http://www.icerocks.com/

ICE ROCKS® are secured ice cubes made from
spring water and ready to be frozen. These cubes,
to be consumed within two (2) years, are
hermetically packaged in disposable, recyclable
containers, providing the user with a complete
guarantee with regard to hygiene and safety,
while respecting the environment. ICE ROCKS® uses
a patented technology, providing a container of
refreshing ice cubes that are pure and hygienic.

ICE ROCKS® is a product that is sold in its
unfrozen state (liquid), so it is in fact a
product offering substantial savings in terms of
delivery costs, in that it does not require
trucks to be refrigerated for transportation. "

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The web site looks impressive, but I have no idea about the company. 'The Water Bank of America' sounds a bit corny, to say the least.

However, in the UK Tesco's sells 'frozen Spring Water' ice cubes, so you never know.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KDS
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KDS     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Greetings,

I poked around the webpage for a bit, and it seems like a good deal of the information is only available in French - while that does mesh with the idea of being a Canadian webpage and company, it limited what I was able to figure out. Some of the linked articles contain phone and fax numbers: perhaps a Snopester who is braver than I could give them a call? If this is a real company, I give these guys credit: they appear to be making millions selling water.

WATER BANK OF AMERICA INC.,
Head Office - Canada
1000 De la Gauchetière West Street, Suite 2400
Montreal (Quebec) Canada, H3B 4W5
Tel. 514-448-2169
Fax. 514-448-5101

WATER BANK OF AMERICA INC.,
World Headquarters
1395, Brickell ave., Suite 1020
Miami, Florida, USA, 33131
Tel. 786-597-5282
Fax. 786-513-0858

--------------------
I dunno, I like the same qualities in a man as I want in a dog. Big, happy, friendly, and hairy. Not too much slobber either. ~Sue Bee

Posts: 140 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What's so unusual about making millions selling packaged water? Lots and lots of companies do it. This company is selling it special packages. I guess it's supposed to be funny because they call it "liquid ice"? That's just their way of getting the point across: these packages are meant to be frozen. (Of course, this kind of thing is another reason to market their product this way: free publicity.)
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I first read the subject, I thought it was about those "Whiskey on the rocks"-rocks you can buy here. It's ice cube sized and shaped stones, cut from granite, which are put into the freezer and then put into a beverage to cool it.

Actually, it's a pretty cool idea (both literally and figuratively).

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mizzie
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizzie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In all actuality, it's not a horrible idea. I have often made ice from bottled water because I don't like the taste of my tap water and ice made from it adds that taste to any drink it's in. Also, ice can pick up funky flavors from your freezer and it does go "stale". (If you have ever found an ice tray in the back of your freezer, the ice sort of dissapates and gets a chalky coating)

Not that I'm going to spend money on prepackaged "liquid ice", but I really don't think it's a bad idea.

Posts: 41 | From: Baxter, MN | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diehard
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diehard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have found something like this before in my grocery store and they are great, they don't "disappear" in a frostless freezer like most ice cubes do and the taste to your drinks are awsome.

--------------------
Daddy "You are my "Special Angel" 1942-1999"

Posts: 440 | From: Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 605 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The current issue of Consumer Reports says that they contacted "a man in the U.S. sales office of Water Bank of America, the developer of Ice Rocks, and were told in August that they are sold in France and would soon be flowing into the U.S."

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
When I first read the subject, I thought it was about those "Whiskey on the rocks"-rocks you can buy here. It's ice cube sized and shaped stones, cut from granite, which are put into the freezer and then put into a beverage to cool it.

Do those things actually work? Water would have about twice the thermal mass, but the granite wouldn't dilute the drink, which would be nice.

quote:
Originally posted by mizzie:
In all actuality, it's not a horrible idea. I have often made ice from bottled water because I don't like the taste of my tap water and ice made from it adds that taste to any drink it's in.

It's cheaper to get a reverse osmosis filter put in and make your ice cubes from that. I have one hooked to the ice maker in the fridge.

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages