snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » John Adams: too ugly for beer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: John Adams: too ugly for beer
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 24 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: One of my coworkers claims that the patriot shown on John Adams
beer is actually Paul Revere, and that they did not use John Adam's
picture because he was too ugly...Is this true?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't it Sam Adams beer? I've never heard of John Adams' beer. Well, John Adams was on a beer can at least once. Was he too ugly to be there? You be the judge:
http://tinyurl.com/zneoo

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KatrinaDuck
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KatrinaDuck   E-mail KatrinaDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
John Adams doesn't exactly inspire one to take to the drink... unless, of course, one happened to be Abigail.

--------------------
It is, after all, the dab of grit that seeps into an oyster's shell that makes the pearl, not pearl-making seminars with other oysters. -Stephen King

Posts: 481 | From: North Brunswick, NJ | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 98 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KatrinaDuck:
John Adams doesn't exactly inspire one to take to the drink... unless, of course, one happened to be Abigail.

Bravo!

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surfcitydogdad     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure it's SAM Adams Beer. I don't drink, but I used to have my own recycling business, and learned a lot about beer and liquor! Plus, Samuel Adams has been advertising on TV a lot lately. Apparently they need a new campaign, if you got the name wrong!

I never heard that John Adams was homely, just short. Or was he? I know I've heard that James Madison was short.

--------------------
Only when we remake ourselves can we remake the world.
- Outer Limits (2001)

Posts: 559 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pondicherry Pi
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pondicherry Pi   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pondicherry Pi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I dunno. All those men in tri-corner hats and wigs sorta look alike to me. I admit that portraits of SAM Adams and Paul Revere do sort of resemble each other, though.

--------------------
If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

What the NFBSK is Glurge? Or, a link to Snopes Lingo

Posts: 218 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
greatbeast
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greatbeast     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to what Ive heard on the radio (the owner of Sam Adams Jim Koch said this) he chose Sam Adams because he was a famous patriot local to the Boston area.

As far as the picture goes, the label looks a lot like samual adams image from what I assume is a painting on http://theamericalrevolution.org

(The image on the bottle looks a tad younger, perhaps)

Posts: 23 | From: Taunton, MA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
greatbeast
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greatbeast     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems like the person who reported this to snopes saying that "John adams was too ugly for beer label" prolly got confused with John Quincy Adams is my guess.
Posts: 23 | From: Taunton, MA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by greatbeast:
According to what Ive heard on the radio (the owner of Sam Adams Jim Koch said this) he chose Sam Adams because he was a famous patriot local to the Boston area.

Sam Adams' father was a brewer.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In two hundred years they may be asking why George's picture is on Busch beer....

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 106 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"But if I'm the one to brew it,
they'll run their quill pens through it."

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Warlok
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Warlok     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Once again Brad scoops me - I was thinking of Busch but going a whole 'nother direction....

With that said, what will the future think of Huederpohl, Leinenkugle, or even Das Coorvs.

Ve have vays of making you drink 'merican swill named to make you forget.

war 'Heineken light for everyone' lok

NOTE: No real beer drinkers were harmed in the writing of this post.

--------------------
Inconceivable

Posts: 2755 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WingedBear
A View to a Krill

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WingedBear   E-mail WingedBear   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought I had heard that John Adams was miffed when he went to Europe, because people would ask him if he was The famous Adams, i.e. Sam Adams, the brewer.

--------------------
If the sum of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the square on the other two sides, why is a mouse when it spins?

Posts: 90 | From: Cleveland, OH | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KatrinaDuck:

In the picture, he looks so ugly he's cute. [Smile]

Actually, this is going to sound terribly dorky, but when I was younger and studying the Revolution, I had a bit of a crush on John Adams. Mainly due to the fact that he defended the British soldiers in the Boston Massacre. Even though it was an unpopular thing to do, but everyone does deserve a trial and all that. I just thought it seemed so noble and...well, maybe even a bit sexy. I was in fifth grade at the time--later on my tastes would change, and I'd favor Thomas Jefferson. (Swoon!)

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
John Adams wouldn't be a good icon for a brewery -- he was a cider drinker who drank large a tankard a day.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages