snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » IRS checks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IRS checks
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 605 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I have heard through the grapevine about why tax laws were
recently changed. They no longer ask for checks to be made out to "The
Internal Revenue Service" but rather now to "US Treasury Dept."

I hear that con artists were stealing the checks "Pay to the Order of: I R
S" and merely using a pen to write in a few lines so as to change it to
"Pay to the Order of: M R. Smith" and then depositing the checks into
their own accounts.

I overheard a student telling this story to a college finance professor.
The professor responded that he hadn't heard anything about it, but
admitted that it certainly sounded reasonable

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rogue
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rogue   E-mail rogue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember a similar story about 15 years ago.

I was advised by a local news story to make out tax checks to "Internal Revenue Service" because thieves were stealing them and depositing them into accounts for the "Irish Rescue Society" or other company name with the IRS initials.

-Rogue

--------------------
"'Cause you might enjoy some madness for awile."

Posts: 119 | From: Norman, OK | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Vinnichanka
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vinnichanka   Author's Homepage   E-mail Vinnichanka   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did the bank tellers ever wonder why would Irish Rescue Society need the fiscal year and Social Security number on the donation checks?
ETA: Although it could be for tax-deductible purposes [Razz]

--------------------
Ladies and gentlemen, chlorinate your gene pools!

Posts: 250 | From: Brooklyn, New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would find this plausable at best since alot of checks would be written in a short period of tine before April 15th

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 401 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
They no longer ask for checks to be made out to "The Internal Revenue Service" but rather now to "US Treasury Dept."
But then a crook could just put a "G" in front of "US Treasury Dept" and claim his name was Gus T. Dept.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Reminds me of this story:
quote:
Following in the footsteps of her completely unsuccessful predecessors (Mr. Mellon E. Bank and Mr. Roadway V. Express, reported in News of the Weird in 1989 and 1996, respectively),
Keisha Yvette Gregory was arrested in Durham, N. C., in March and charged with theft of a check made out to the Tension Envelope company, which she tried to pass off as a personal check made out to Ms. Tension Nicole Envelope.

Eve "Gotta love stupid criminals - at least we can catch them!" MG

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Donovan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donovan   E-mail Donovan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eve MG:
Reminds me of this story:
quote:
Following in the footsteps of her completely unsuccessful predecessors (Mr. Mellon E. Bank and Mr. Roadway V. Express, reported in News of the Weird in 1989 and 1996, respectively),
Keisha Yvette Gregory was arrested in Durham, N. C., in March and charged with theft of a check made out to the Tension Envelope company, which she tried to pass off as a personal check made out to Ms. Tension Nicole Envelope.

Eve "Gotta love stupid criminals - at least we can catch them!" MG
Of course, I used to work (for the now defunct) Ace TV Service. We used to get all kinds of junk mail for "Mr Ace Service" and variants of the same.

--------------------
Illius me paenitet, dux (Latin for fun and business)

"It's like trying to hawk pork chops at a kosher PETA banquet." - Esprise Me

Posts: 429 | From: Alabama | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alex Buchet
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alex Buchet   E-mail Alex Buchet       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In France, tax checks are made out to "Trésor Public". So of course some sly rapscallion founded an "ad" agency called Trésor Publicité...fill in the rest!
Posts: 202 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Megan'sMom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Megan'sMom   E-mail Megan'sMom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to work for a bank and our security officer showed us an example of a fraudulent check one of the rocket scientists tried to pass through the bank. It was originally payable to "I R S" and he typed in "mith" after the "S" and tried to use an ID in the name of "Ira Robert Smith" to cash it. The teller noticed that the type face for "mith" was different.

--------------------
Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of --
but do it in private, and wash your hands afterwards.

- Lazarus Long

Posts: 300 | From: Waldorf, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a news special about various scams. One scam was run by a purported home mortgage company. Their name was the California Association of Secure Housing (or something like that). Most people would not write out the whole name and instead would abbreviate the name C A S H, creating a check that could be cashed without any ID.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The instructions for federal taxes stopped directing people to make checks out to "Internal Revenue Service" and start making them out to "Untied States Treasury" with the 1998 taxes. The Estimated taxes for 1999 were to be made out to "United States Treasury".

Why? I don't know.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
I saw a news special about various scams. One scam was run by a purported home mortgage company. Their name was the California Association of Secure Housing (or something like that). Most people would not write out the whole name and instead would abbreviate the name C A S H, creating a check that could be cashed without any ID.

That idea was used in the original Beverly Hillbillies TV show in the 60's.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages