snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » Starbucks' secret coffee? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Starbucks' secret coffee?
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Don Enrico:
...Okay, I understand that - so the "short" is not just "half a tall", but it's "the same thing with less water". In this case, I would agree it is better ...

I guess it helps to understand that, like other forms of energy, espresso is quantized. Drinks can contain only certain eigenvalues of espresso that caffeine physicists call "shots."

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's a nice and understandable way to put it. [Smile]

But what about that cat in the box with the double shot cappuccino?

Don "Schrödingers latte" Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Don Enrico:
And:
quote:
(...) IBM did it with a printer: the economy version for home users was simply the top-of-the-range model with a chip in it to slow it down.
Can anybody confirm that? Which model/models do they mean? I just don't buy it.
Info-Rule 3: Information is costly to produce but cheap to reproduce.:

quote:
Information Rules cites, as an example of versioning, the IBM LaserPrinter Series E, a consumer model that printed five pages per minute, half the rate of IBM's commercial model LaserPrinter. A consumer testing lab found that "the difference in speed was due to a chip that inserted wait states to slow down the [consumer model] printer."

"They had an office version of this printer that was producing ten pages a minute," says Varian. "And they came out with a version for the home or small office. And given that they'd already had the manufacturing line set up for the high-end version, it was the easiest way to produce that. Just put in this little chip to slow down the version for the home users."

The LaserPrinter would be a 4029 and the LaserPrinter E a 4019.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Little Pink Pill:
quote:
Originally posted by UrbanRenewal:
I don't think it's just the coffee either. I'm a tea drinker and I've yet to purchase a decent cup of tea at a Starbucks.

They also sell spiced apple juice and call it cider. Fools!
And, licorice tea with milk in it does not equal chai!!!!

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dactingyl
Anchovy of a 1000 Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dactingyl   E-mail Dactingyl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had actually heard about the 'short' option before and asked my a mate who used to work at Starbucks. Apparently the short option is implied because there's a tall option.

--------------------
Dactingyl is meant to sound a bit like Christingle.

It's not very good but I couldn't think of anything else.

Sorry.

Posts: 257 | From: Hants, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by UrbanRenewal:
And, licorice tea with milk in it does not equal chai!!!!

Since "chai" simply means "tea" in several languages, it does. Gross, but still tea.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dactyl:
I had actually heard about the 'short' option before and asked my a mate who used to work at Starbucks. Apparently the short option is implied because there's a tall option.

Tell that to the guys and/or girls in the marketing department of Germany's biggest coffee chain "Tchibo": For them, the three sizes coffee comes in are "Large", "X-Large" and "XX-Large".

"I'd like a small coffee, please!"
"One 'Large', sir! Anything else?"
[Roll Eyes]

Don "size does matter" Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bubby
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bubby   E-mail Bubby       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tim Harford wrote an interesting article about this in slate magazine...

...And Adam lamsberg proved that price descrimination (2 costs for essentially te same good) is only possible in a monopolized industry in his book The Armchair Economiicist

Posts: 110 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 24 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bubby:
...And Adam lamsberg proved that price descrimination (2 costs for essentially te same good) is only possible in a monopolized industry in his book The Armchair Economiicist

Steven Landsburg wrote The Armchair Economist. He's sort of right, though I wouldn't characterize the industries that practice price discrimination as monopolistic. What it really is is a necessarily inelastic demand curve for the particular product and low marginal cost for the producer. For example in movie theaters the cost for showing a film is about the same whether or not the theater is empty or full, and full labor costs are incurred well before max capacity in the theater: if a theater holds 500 people, it costs the same to show a film whether there are 450 or 500. So in cases like that (also seen with airlines, and the restaurant/hospitality industry) price discrimination is worthwhile.
Also necessary are distinct demand curves for the different groups. Back to movie theaters, the demand curves for movies are much more elastic for seniors and students than for 20-somethings. A small price change results in a greater change in movie-going than the same price change for young earners.

And children don't receive cheaper prices or free whatever because they cost less to cater to, but because there's a huge difference between a single earner paying for one or two people and paying for 3 or more. You won't get any of the people at all if you don't get the kids.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
die daagliks phosdex
Monster Mashed Potatos & Grave-y

Icon 98 posted      Profile for die daagliks phosdex   Author's Homepage   E-mail die daagliks phosdex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps the best coffee I've come across, taste-wise, is the Swedish Egg Coffee served @ the Salem Lutheran Church's dining hall during the Minnesota State Fair.

Exceptionally smooth, never bitter--even if, during my visit this year, the dining hall's lights were out thanks to the fuse box having blown for some reason or another.

--------------------
"Nie lees die hoofopskrifte--lees die daagliks phosdex in plaas ..."

Posts: 1316 | From: Winona, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages