snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » "Capt. Billy's Whiz-Bang"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Capt. Billy's Whiz-Bang"
die daagliks phosdex
Monster Mashed Potatos & Grave-y

Icon 303 posted      Profile for die daagliks phosdex   Author's Homepage   E-mail die daagliks phosdex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting urban legend about the rather legendary (if a bit on the risque) humour magazine Capt. Billy's Whiz-Bang as may have been fabricated in its own way by Willard "Capt. Billy" Fawcett, who founded the "Explosion of Pedigreed Bunk" in 1919:

Seems Capt. Billy had the idea of printing 5,000 copies of the first issue because he thought the net cost would be cheaper than printing only a few hundred; after passing along some complimentary copies to disabled war buddies of his and some friends, the remainder were wholesaled to hotel newsstands in Minneapolis, where they sold out quickly.

And within three years, "Capt. Billy" was boasting of where circulation was close to 1 million copies.

(IIBC, its peak circulation was close to 450,000 copies/month.)

--------------------
"Nie lees die hoofopskrifte--lees die daagliks phosdex in plaas ..."

Posts: 1316 | From: Winona, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's a real publication? I've only heard of it because of its mention in The Music Man.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lil' Molly
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lil' Molly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, Jay! I've been wracking my brain for hours trying to figure out where I'd heard the name of that magazine.

Lil' (I was a teenage Tommy Djilas) Molly

--------------------
... and now back to your regularly scheduled lurking.

I have 15 points and owe 1 keyboard!

Posts: 394 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages