snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » Locks of Love (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Locks of Love
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 08 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I heard from a friend that Locks of Love was a sham. That the
organization sells the hair they collect and this money is used to line
the pockets of the Directors of the organization. Although some money may
go to help buy wigs for children, it is not a primary goal. Can you
clarify/verify if this is true?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Amazing Rando
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Amazing Rando   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Amazing Rando   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to this site, they receive much more hair than they need and sell the remainder to wig-making companies, and from the comments it seems that they also charge for the wigs and make kids jump through hoops to get them.

When I got my mid-back-length hair cut, I donated it to Locks of Love, but I didn't grow it out for that and only donated it because I didn't want it and the place I went asked me if I wanted to. If this is true and I were growing it out just to donate it, I would feel cheated. It doesn't look like they're a scam, just that they're often misrepresented.

Posts: 417 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 605 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to this site, the Executive Director made a little over $48,000 in salary and benefits in 2002. I wouldn't call that terribly excessive.

ETA: a more recent report.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't agree that asking for essays and letters of recommendation is making the kids jump through hoops, much less demeaning hoops. It's more than a little condescending to assume that every child who has cancer would be unwilling, or unable, to comply with such requirements. Some may prefer to do something proactive to help their own situation.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I looked at their website. They want a one page essay about the child, two letters of recommendation (one can be from parent), a photo of child without hairpiece, the medical reason for the child's baldness, and financial statement.

The recipient pays for some of the cost on a sliding scale - the pieces themselves cost thousands of dollars to create.

I don't think that sounds excessive either - all they are asking for is enough information to determine if the child is eligible and needs the wig. Generally someone with an income of over 100,000 is not eligible. I think that's fair - it wouldn't be right to give a wig to someone making that much money if it meant the child of a family making much less couldn't get one, and there are a limited number of wigs they can provide in a year.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tabbymago
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Tabbymago   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tabbymago   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snapdragonfly:
I looked at their website. They want a one page essay about the child, two letters of recommendation (one can be from parent), a photo of child without hairpiece, the medical reason for the child's baldness, and financial statement.

The rest doesn't sound excessive, but that (although I understand the need to verify that the child really is bald) feels a little...I think "harsh" is almost the word I'm looking for. "You've got a medical problem you're embarrassed about and want to conceal? Well, let's see it, then!"

-Tabby
the princess with claws

--------------------
If you don't appreciate the irony, the irony appreciates.

"Sappiness and medieval violence: it's a wonderful combination. Like chocolate and peanut butter for the mind." -me on my fantasy novel-in-progress

Posts: 2281 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, but unfortunately, it is the only way they could verify that the applicant was actually in need of a hair prosthesis, isn't it? And there are scum out there who certainly would try to defraud a charity. And if the child is bald, due to the various sad circumstances that might cause baldness, I bet they have been through way, way worse than a photo being taken of their bare head. And if they are accepted, not only will they have to be willing to show their bare head, but to present it in person to have a mold made of it.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nuclear Mosquito
Crane Damaged

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Nuclear Mosquito   E-mail Nuclear Mosquito   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you look at their own information on this page, they receive over 2,000 donations per week through the mail. Then there's this sentence:
"The number of hairpieces produced has increased significantly since its inception, from 21 the first year to over 1,000."
Whether this is 1,000 total or 1,000 per year, they don't clarify. At any rate, this part of their web site says it takes 6-10 ponytails to make one wig. Two thousand donations a week times 52 weeks makes 104,000 ponytails per year. 104,000 divided by 10 means they should be able to make 10,400 wigs per year, at the least. Even if you count the previous statement as 1,000 'tails per year, that is still a far cry from their potential wig production. What happens to all that hair? Even if we assume up to half the hair is unusable in some way, that still leaves enough hair to make 5,000 wigs a year. Obviously this hair is going somewhere.

Under their FAQ section, they say ponytails under ten inches will most likely be sold to help offset the cost of production. What stops them from selling the other hair they don't use, even if it is over 10 inches?

The question is: if you gave money to an organization that said, "There is a 10% chance the money you gave us will be used to help children," would you still donate? Is it any different with hair?

--------------------
If my calculations are correct: SLINKY + escalator = endless fun!

Posts: 317 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Noemi

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Mosquito:
Is it any different with hair?

For me it is because I am donating something I don't need anymore. They can do whatever they want with it at that point.

Noemi

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The hair still goes to help children who need wigs. Especially if selling the extra hair helps them offer the hair pieces to the children at a great discount.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 15 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snapdragonfly:
Well, but unfortunately, it is the only way they could verify that the applicant was actually in need of a hair prosthesis, isn't it? And there are scum out there who certainly would try to defraud a charity. And if the child is bald, due to the various sad circumstances that might cause baldness, I bet they have been through way, way worse than a photo being taken of their bare head. And if they are accepted, not only will they have to be willing to show their bare head, but to present it in person to have a mold made of it.

I pretty much agree that it really isn't SO bad to ask for a little proactivity on the part of the needy family. A letter of recommendation and a photo? Hardly sounds awful.

I have a question though. Why would someone want to take advantage of Locks of Love? Or how? I'm not being snarky, I really don't understand?

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Menolly
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Menolly   E-mail Menolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
MissE, I have a reason: each natural hair hairpiece is worth about $3,500 to $6,000.

--------------------
Let's just pretend we're normal for a minute ~ New favorite T-shirt quote

Posts: 1193 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

MissE, I can't answer that, but there's a lot of things people do every day that I don't understand either.

Our town's homeless shelter and the Salvation Army do Christmas tree "angels" every year - people can adopt an "angel" (a needy child) and give them Christmas presents (so often the requests are just for warm clothes, how sad) but they have to screen carefully because there are just people out there who will try to scam.

I cannot imagine doing that and don't have any idea how people can be so scummy, but they are, sometimes.

--------------------

Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you look at their own information on this page, they receive over 2,000 donations per week through the mail. Then there's this sentence:
"The number of hairpieces produced has increased significantly since its inception, from 21 the first year to over 1,000."

You seem to be assuming that the vast majority of the donations are over 10" long and therefore if they only make 1,000 hair pieces per year someone is being ripped off. There is nothing on the page that states what proportion of the donations are actually 10" or longer. I note, in addition, that they not only provide wigs, they see to it that damaged hairpieces are repaired. I assume some of the 10" lengths that do not go to new wigs go to repairing them.

quote:
What stops them from selling the other hair they don't use, even if it is over 10 inches?

Nothing except the need to continue to create hairpieces.

Seaboe

ETA: You also seem to be assuming that if they sell the hair the money somehow profits the organization. Except that they have to pay for both the natural and synthetic hair pieces to be made and repaired.

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skyeg
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skyeg   E-mail skyeg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
At any rate, this part of their web site says it takes 6-10 ponytails to make one wig.

My guess is that they need 6-10 closely matching ponytails to make one wig. In other words, the hairs need to be approximately the same thickness and color. I could see where this could effect the number of wigs that could be made (and add to the length of time to prepare one wig).
Posts: 28 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
babyshoes
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babyshoes   E-mail babyshoes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My now-8-year-old daughter has donated her 12" long ponytails to Locks of Love--twice. I think she wants to do it again; if I really, really, really felt like cutting my hair, I'd donate, too. [Smile]
But I'm not a nice enough person to go through that again...(the cutting-hair part, not the donation).

As I understand it, Skyeg is correct, the ponytails need to closely match. There's also the issue of *who* donates--many of the donations of hair come from adults. LoL sells those, they don't work for kids' hairpieces.

--------------------
"When Jesus said to love your enemies, I think he meant don't kill them." from a song by Linda K. Williams

Posts: 124 | From: Rappahannock County, VA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babyshoes:
many of the donations of hair come from adults. LoL sells those, they don't work for kids' hairpieces.

Actually, Nuclear Mosquito's link to their history page reveals that 80% of the donations come from children.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babyshoes:
LoL sells those, they {donations from adults} don't work for kids' hairpieces.

I'm curious as to why you say this. Is there some physical difference between the hair on the head of an adult and that on the head of a child?

Seaboe

--------------------

Nuclear Mosquito
Crane Damaged

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Nuclear Mosquito   E-mail Nuclear Mosquito   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I found further information here that would support the theory of 1,000 total hairpieces being made, not 1,000 per year:
Press Release page

I still find LOL to be slightly shady. There seems to be a lot of misinformation about the organization, too. They don't give wigs to children with cancer, they sell wigs to children with long-term or permanent hair loss, like alopecia areata and other conditions. The children with cancer issue is still pushed, though, as it has the sympathy factor. They don't tell you your hair has a 10% chance of making it into a child's wig, and a 90% chance of being sold to wigmakers or extension makers, or simply discarded. They probably wouldn't get as many donations if the facts were known.

--------------------
If my calculations are correct: SLINKY + escalator = endless fun!

Posts: 317 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette

Icon 220 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, they've found a business model that works and allows them to do the 'good deeds' for which they were formed. Their percentage of administrative costs is not excessive by normal standards for a non-profit charitable organization.

They're asking people to donate something in order for children who need them to get hairpieces. If you choose to donate hair, cash, a used car, why should you care what they do with your donation, if in the end the children get the hairpieces? If all they ever got was donations of hair and weren't able to turn some of it into cash they'd be out of business very quickly.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe

Icon 216 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Menolly:
MissE, I have a reason: each natural hair hairpiece is worth about $3,500 to $6,000.

[Eek!] I never knew that. This might be another dumb question, (but snopes is always a learning experience for me) but what makes them so expensive? My mother and aunt are both cosmetologists and I was never aware of the value of the hair that they cut (sometimes for L of L).

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I donated my hair many, many, many years ago, I was told that if they could not use my hair for a child, they would sell it in order to use the proceeds for other operating costs. I don't think they are shady at all.

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
babyshoes

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babyshoes   E-mail babyshoes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker:
[QUOTE]Is there some physical difference between the hair on the head of an adult and that on the head of a child?

Yep! Children's hair tends to be thinner and finer than adult's hair--no one would ever mistake my hair for a child's. I can remember when my hair was nice, too :-)

--------------------
"When Jesus said to love your enemies, I think he meant don't kill them." from a song by Linda K. Williams

Posts: 124 | From: Rappahannock County, VA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PurpleBubba

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleBubba     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have not seen this brought up yet so I will. Earlier in the thread someone said that they were going to cut their hair anyway so it didn't matter if it got used or not. And that is true. And for those who are donating because they want to regardless of how the hair gets used is fine too. That is your individual choice.

But what about people who do not have any intention of donating? Or what if they don't know that their hair might not get used? Or what if their hair is damaged and they aren't told that damaged hair will probably be thrown out?

What happens when someone comes up to that person and asks them if they are going to donate?

What happens when a school holds a hair donation day and one of the kids who didn't want to donate gets badgered into it because they're being selfish to keep their hair?

What about people who are minding their own business when some stranger has to come up to them, say some comment like "Oh your hair is so long. Are you donating it?"

What about the people who had their relatives badger them into going on Oprah or Maury to cut their really long hair even though they didn't want to? Could they have said no? Yes but when someone tells you it's for sick children and you're on TV how do you say no?

What ever happened to teaching the other kids not to make fun of the kids without hair so that they wouldn't have to wear wigs to fit in? And what about the other kids who have other differences such as facial defects? There are no wigs for that.

I know a few of you said that you grow your hair out to donate but what about those who won't make the committment to grow their own hair out for a donation but they'll ask others to do it?

Donating by your own choice is nice. Being pressured into it is not.

Posts: 1 | From: Warren, Michigan | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

I have never heard of anyone that I knew personally being badgered into donating their hair. I suppose it could happen, but I haven't seen it.

edited to add: I've seen women being badgered into cutting their hair (sometimes unsucessfully) because they had hair that was long, and only long (as opposed to also being shiney, sexy, healthy, becoming, etc) and they didn't want to cut it because for some reason having long hair was a big part of their identity -(or they were trying to please annoying men in their lives who have arbitrarily decided that that the only way a woman can be sexy is if she has long hair - oh please [Roll Eyes] ) but it was entirely a fashion issue, not a charity one.

My SIL had long hair - long, stringy, thin, unflattering, severe, straight hair - and on a 60 year old woman it *really* was not her best look. She just cut it - man, what an improvement! - and donated the tail to LOL. The haircutter said she would be combining it with 5 or 6, I think it was, other locks. It takes a lot of hair to make one wig, I guess.

--------------------

Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
They don't give wigs to children with cancer, they sell wigs to children with long-term or permanent hair loss, like alopecia areata and other conditions. The children with cancer issue is still pushed, though, as it has the sympathy factor.

Personally, I feel sympathy for children with alopecia areata and other conditions. I imagine most people would. However, more people are aware of hair loss due to cancer, and it is more easily explained.

quote:
Originally posted by PurpleBubba:
What happens when a school holds a hair donation day and one of the kids who didn't want to donate gets badgered into it because they're being selfish to keep their hair?

What about people who are minding their own business when some stranger has to come up to them, say some comment like "Oh your hair is so long. Are you donating it?"

What about the people who had their relatives badger them into going on Oprah or Maury to cut their really long hair even though they didn't want to? Could they have said no? Yes but when someone tells you it's for sick children and you're on TV how do you say no?

Well, those would all be terrible things, assuming that they actually happened. But no one, including you, has offered any evidence that such things have happened, let alone that Locks of Love has used or endorsed such methods.

quote:
What ever happened to teaching the other kids not to make fun of the kids without hair so that they wouldn't have to wear wigs to fit in? And what about the other kids who have other differences such as facial defects? There are no wigs for that.

The purpose of providing wigs for children with hair loss is not to control the behavior of other children: it is to make the children themselves feel better. As for "other facial defects," no, there are no wigs for that. There is, however, Operation Smile.

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MissE:
quote:

[Eek!] I never knew that. This might be another dumb question, (but snopes is always a learning experience for me) but what makes them so expensive? My mother and aunt are both cosmetologists and I was never aware of the value of the hair that they cut (sometimes for L of L).
My understanding is that LoL wigs are 'vaccum-sealed' to the childs head so they stay on through swimming & other activities. It 'pops' on & off.

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Menolly
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Menolly   E-mail Menolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MissE:
quote:

Not exactly sure, but here's a link that explains the manufacturing process LoL goes through: http://www.locksoflove.org/manufacturing_process.php

It takes between 3 and 6 months to manufacture each hairpiece. They seem to be so custom-made that even the base material under the wig is color-matched to the child's skin color. The website often refers to the wig as prosthetic instead of just wig. Anyway...

I was wondering about the possible costs involved. So, just as an estimate, here's what I came up with--please note, I have no hard facts, just was wondering how the numbers might line up:
$3,500 - $6,000 each hairpiece = $4750 average
Since the hair is donated, I'm going to cut that expense amount in half = $2,375 average cost per wig
X 1,000 hairpieces = $2,375,000

The website doesn't give any indication of the number of synthetic hairpieces given to children under the age of six (or was it five), so I'm going to leave that out.

Even if LoL was charging the recipients half of the $2,375 (and the website specifies: "Locks of Love is a not-for-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children under the age of 18 with medical hair loss. These custom-fitted hair prosthetics are provided free of charge or on a sliding scale to children whose families meet the Locks of Love Board of Directors guidelines."), that means LoL would be responsible for paying the other $1187.50 per hairpiece, or $1,187,000 for the thousand hairpieces.

OTOH, if LoL had provided all these hair prosthetics totally free of charge, they would be bearing the entire approximate $2.375 million burden. Of course, this is all hypothetical.

I'm like Noemi. The hair I donate is just going to the trash if it doesn't go to LoL. They can do what they want with my cut-off hair, but I'll continue to assume they are providing at least reduced cost custom wigs to kids that need a boost. Good enough for me.

--------------------
Let's just pretend we're normal for a minute ~ New favorite T-shirt quote

Posts: 1193 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chalchihuitlicue

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chalchihuitlicue   Author's Homepage   E-mail Chalchihuitlicue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
Well, those would all be terrible things, assuming that they actually happened. But no one, including you, has offered any evidence that such things have happened, let alone that Locks of Love has used or endorsed such methods.

Actually, hardly a month goes by without some older woman shopping at the store I work at asking me if I'm growing out my hair to donate it to Locks of Love. I have very long hair (hip-length), and have never once thought of cutting it. Yet they all assume that's the entire reason I'm growing it out, and then badger me to cut it and donate it, even when I say I grew it out because I want it long.

--------------------
[always in need of Malice Mizer]

Posts: 2 | From: Schaumburg, IL | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Seaboe,
You have (or had) the longest hair of anyone I've ever personally known. Anyone ever 'badger' you to donate it?

--------------------
--Tootsie

Lainie

quote:
Originally posted by Chalchihuitlicue:
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:

Actually, hardly a month goes by without some older woman shopping at the store I work at asking me if I'm growing out my hair to donate it to Locks of Love. I have very long hair (hip-length), and have never once thought of cutting it. Yet they all assume that's the entire reason I'm growing it out, and then badger me to cut it and donate it, even when I say I grew it out because I want it long.
Have you cut it yet? And are these women acting on behalf of Locks of Love? Has their "badgering" actually interfered with your ability to exercise your free will?

I'm sure what you describe is annoying, but that's all it is.

--------------------

MissEltoe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Morgaine and Menolly.

--------------------
~I'mNotDedalus

Seaboe Muffinchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Tsukemono Plunkette:
Seaboe,
You have (or had) the longest hair of anyone I've ever personally known. Anyone ever 'badger' you to donate it?

Thankfully, no. I was only ever badgered to wear it down; there were a few acquaintances who could not grasp the concept of "it's my hair and I don't ever wear it down."

Seaboe

--------------------

Seaboe Muffinchucker

quote:
Originally posted by PurpleBubba:
But what about people who do not have any intention of donating? Or what if they don't know that their hair might not get used? Or what if their hair is damaged and they aren't told that damaged hair will probably be thrown out?

If they have no intention of donating, the answers to the other questions are irrelevant. In any case, I have never seen a hair donation site that does not explain that damaged hair will not be used.
quote:
What happens when someone comes up to that person and asks them if they are going to donate?
That person says "no" if that person does not intend to donate.
quote:

This should be taken up with the school as it is bullying. It is not the fault, nor the responsibility, of LoL or any other hair donation organization.
quote:

While I understand this is irritating, unless the questioner responds rudely to the answer "no, I just like long hair" I don't see the problem.
quote:

This is a problem with the relatives, not the hair donation organizations. Blaming an inability to say no to ones relatives on the organizations that solicit hair donations is just a way of passing blame.
quote:

Who said these things are not being done? Again, this is not the responsibility of the hair donation organizations.
quote:
I know a few of you said that you grow your hair out to donate but what about those who won't make the committment to grow their own hair out for a donation but they'll ask others to do it?

Such people are just rude. Again, not the fault of the hair donation organizations.

Seaboe

--------------------

babyshoes

I'm feeling really left out...no one *ever* badgers me to donate my hair! [lol] Maybe because I seldom wear it loose; no one except hubby & kids actually know just how long it is...and most of the time, I'm not sure!

baby(okay, I'm often confused)shoes

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages