snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » Re-using unused stamps (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Re-using unused stamps
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually I think the whole thing is quite logical:

You are paying your postal service for delivering a letter from A to B. With the price of a stamp, the USPS (or Deutsche Post or any other) and you make a deal that they will deliver one letter for this money you paid. The stamp is merely a sign that you paid.

If you write a letter, put a stamp on the envelope and think better of it, the USPS still "owes" you one delivery.

But if you use an uncancelled stamp, the USPS has already fulfilled its duty of delivery. So reusing the stamp would be a fraud, since you pretend that you are entitled to something you are not.

Of course, proof is a whole different matter. And I dunno about lost stamps (in theory you have paid and should be "entitled to a delivery", if it weren't for the proof problem. But I wouldn't be surprised if that is covered in the regulations and terms of service).

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buzzkiller
Deck the Malls

Icon 103 posted      Profile for Buzzkiller   E-mail Buzzkiller       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A bit off topic, but I'm reminded of a friend's dim-witted sister-in-law who learned that postage prices were about to go up and ran straight to the PO and purchased several hundred first-class stamps at the "discount" rate. I wish I'd been the one to inform her that she now needed to go back to the PO and purchase several hundred two-cent stamps!

I've glued and/or taped unused stamps to a different envelope many times. Unless the stamp peels off really easily, I sacrifice the envelope and cut around the stamp leaving a border. That way I can use tape if I need to, and avoid having any tape or glue stray onto the surface of the stamp. It's usually very obvious that I've moved the stamp from one envelope to another, and I've never had a bit of trouble.

Posts: 207 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Victoria J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Victoria J   E-mail Victoria J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Buzzkiller:
A bit off topic, but I'm reminded of a friend's dim-witted sister-in-law who learned that postage prices were about to go up and ran straight to the PO and purchased several hundred first-class stamps at the "discount" rate. I wish I'd been the one to inform her that she now needed to go back to the PO and purchase several hundred two-cent stamps!

Round here we call that sensible. A few years back the UK postal service started printing 1st and 2nd class stamps without prices, and these remain good when the price changes go through. So when they raise the prices people can and do bulk buy stamps, and make a saving from it...

Of course it is fairly obvious that it won't work if the stamp is for a set value.

Victoria J.

--------------------
Post accompanied by maniacal laughter.

Posts: 577 | From: London, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages