snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » Telemarketers have started calling cells in Spanish?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Telemarketers have started calling cells in Spanish?
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For this year alone, I've been receiving calls from someone speaking in Spanish, but it seemed to be an automated telemarketer system.

I attempted to find the number on phone directories, but the number has never been in use. Just know the number is 3152039876, but the operator says "please check the number and try your call again."

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sweet Home California
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sweet Home California     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my friends got a message on his cell in Spanish a few months ago (but he assumed it was just a wrong number.)

--------------------
I really hate one-eyed flying purple people eaters! I mean, seriously! They're all like, "I like to eat people, I'm purple, I fly and I have one eye!"-We've Got Mail!

The first game ever made using sand, water, oil, and a snail.

Posts: 176 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sweet Home California

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sweet Home California     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
waffles

--------------------
I really hate one-eyed flying purple people eaters! I mean, seriously! They're all like, "I like to eat people, I'm purple, I fly and I have one eye!"-We've Got Mail!

The first game ever made using sand, water, oil, and a snail.

Posts: 176 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kanazawa

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kanazawa   E-mail kanazawa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I got something in Spanish too...

--------------------
If I say it's safe to surf this beach, then it's safe to surf this beach...

Posts: 127 | From: Cupertino, CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Turbo Snail
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Turbo Snail     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been having the same thing. They have been calling my cell for the past three Saturdays. I don't speak spanish (at least not enough to buy a timeshare) so I didn't stop to think they were telemarketers.

--------------------
Has anyone seen my other shoe?

Posts: 40 | From: Richmond, Indiana | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SchmooPie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SchmooPie   E-mail SchmooPie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been getting the same calls about once a week for a month. The calls I get are a recording because I answered it once and tried to speak to it as annoyingly as possible but the damned thing ignored me.

--------------------
"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
- C. G. Jung

Posts: 243 | From: Marina del Rey, CA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know the cuss words in spanish. I may return the favor until they answer next time they call me when I'm eating my dinner.

If they understand english, I'll say "harassment" and report them to the do-not-call authorities.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't gotten any Spanish calls, but I get a lot of wrong numbers in general. If I was to get a message in Spanish, I probably wouldn't think it was a telemarketer, unless it sounded like a computer generated voice like some of the messages are.

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Dear Joseph,

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website. My name is April, and I am happy to assist you regarding an unwanted caller.

Joseph, I am sorry that you are receiving repeated calls from an unwanted caller.

However, the Wireless Industry does not have the ability to block specific numbers from calling your wireless phone at this time. If you continue to receive unwanted calls that you do not recognize, we do offer the option of changing your wireless number.

If you decide to change your number, we would need to speak with you directly. This will give us the ability to assist you in programming your phone with your new telephone number. Please call our Customer Service Department at 800-922-0204 from a land-based phone to process your request.

Please have your wireless phone charged and available when calling. There will be a $15 Processing Fee to change your number. Joseph, while the information I have given you is general, please note the following information below.

The last four digits of the Social Security Number provided in your e-mail do not correspond with what is listed on your account. For your protection, I am required to ensure that your account has been verified before I can discuss any account-specific information or process any service changes.

We appreciate you taking the time to contact us, and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please reply to this e-mail.

Sincerely,

April
Verizon Wireless
Customer Service

"We never stop working for you!"

If you have received this e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and deleting it and all copies and backups thereof. If you are the intended recipient and are a Verizon Wireless customer, this response is subject to the terms of your Customer Agreement.

--------------------
Joseph Z

vtsquire
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vtsquire         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Z:
For this year alone, I've been receiving calls from someone speaking in Spanish, but it seemed to be an automated telemarketer system.

I attempted to find the number on phone directories, but the number has never been in use. Just know the number is 3152039876, but the operator says "please check the number and try your call again."

consumerist

this might help

Posts: 65 | From: Vallejo, CA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It was true, but it should stop now.

--------------------
"You hold the Prince so I can duct tape his bottom to keep the bugs out." - My Mom

Posts: 193 | From: The Fabulous Finger Lakes, New York | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages