snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » Susan Powter

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Susan Powter
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 08 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Someone told me that the 1990s fitness guru, Susan Powter of
"Stop the Insanity" - was never really obese and she was a sham. WHAT??!!?

Her claim to fame was that she was obese and her husband left her - so she
lost all the weight and became a fitness instructor. I hate to think she
was skinny all along... that story is an inspiration - but is it true?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember when she was popular, and I saw a man on a talk show (how's that for specific) claiming that the before pictures were not Susan Powter, and that no one could have been as fat as she claimed to have been and become completely fit. I don't remember what his arguments were other than that she just wouldn't look that good if she'd been that fat.

I can't find anything else about it now. Web searches for " "Susan powter" "stop the insanity" fraud" " come up with lots of hits, but none on this topic.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
All-American
Deck the Malls

Icon 08 posted      Profile for All-American   E-mail All-American       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The OP rang a bell, so I did some digging:

This New York Times article states

She remains close to her father, but her relationship with one brother, Mark, is especially embittered. He appeared on the television program "Inside Edition" to renounce his sister and claimed that she never weighed 260 pounds and that her program is a hoax.

"It's low-rent when blood sells for money," Powter said on the show. To which her brother responded, "I'd rather be a rat than a lying guru."

Mark's credibility was severely compromised when their father, Colin, sided with his daughter. He verified that Mark has "a vendetta" against Susan, and that the police had been called to arrest him after he went to her home and made threats against her.

Your guess is as good as mine whether it's true.

Posts: 308 | From: San Fernando, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for put it in writing   Author's Homepage   E-mail put it in writing       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard those rumors. I don't know if they're true, but I do find it interesting that now she's hooking up with women and marketing diets to feminist lesbians.

--------------------
and it's 1 - 2 - 3, what are we fighting for? don't ask me, I don't give a damn

Posts: 1319 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Her skin, if I recall her appearance correctly, is in remarkably good shape considering how much weight she's supposed to have lost.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vicious
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vicious     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think this woman was ever that big.
Her skin is AMAZINGLY resilient if she was.
No stretch marks,no extra arm flab,no droopy skin ???
IMO,Anyone who has ever lost weight knows this isn't possible.

--------------------
lOoK aT yOuR SoCiAl ProBlEm.

Posts: 23 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ophiuchus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ophiuchus   E-mail Ophiuchus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Her claims were probably exaggerated. Stories can sort of take on a life of their own.
Posts: 411 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I lost over 150 lbs. in just under 6 months (not healthy, I know) and I had no skin sagging problems whatsoever. I was in my forties and Powter was much younger and lost her excess weight more slowly.

--------------------
"You hold the Prince so I can duct tape his bottom to keep the bugs out." - My Mom

Posts: 193 | From: The Fabulous Finger Lakes, New York | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by put it in writing:
I've heard those rumors. I don't know if they're true, but I do find it interesting that now she's hooking up with women and marketing diets to feminist lesbians.

I always figured her to be a feminist lesbian because of her hatred for men. I use to watch her infomercials from time to time and after awhile I got the sense she was advocating a different agenda then weight loss. She started to espouse some of her political views and even attacked Rush Limbaugh. Not that there is anything wrong with that but that is not what she was setting out to do. She was a weight loss guru not a Feminazi. I am so glad she faded into oblivion.

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages