snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » Cussing at automated phone menus will direct you to a live operator? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cussing at automated phone menus will direct you to a live operator?
Arts Myth
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arts Myth   E-mail Arts Myth   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tuff_gong:
"If you'd like to press 1, press 2 now."

Or, from George Hrab's "Thank You For Calling"
quote:

If you are currently using a touch-tone phone, press 1. If you are using a rotary phone, press 2.

--------------------
Stupid, stupid rat creatures! - Bone
"The missionaries told us not to cut ourselves. It displeases Jesus." - Elsie Clews Parsons, Kiowa Tales, quoted in The Mourner's Dance, Katherine Ashenburg

Posts: 695 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just wonder whether this could work the other way round as well, considering that I guess at least 20% of callers may not be too polite...

As in "Cussing at a live operator will direct you to automated phone menus." [Smile]

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Handling my aunt's estate, I have had a lot of additional fun new contacts with phone trees in the past week or so. One took me three calls before I was able to get through. Comcast. It insisted on dealing with my account -- determined by my phone number -- and it took me a few calls to figure out how to circumvent it without listening to a rundown of my account.

I described my anger and frustration to each and every customer service person I talked to. Calmly, of course. Only one assured me my complaint would be passed on.

I was surprised to discover that Best Buy has the simplest phone tree to get through that I've had to use lately. I mentioned that to the customer service person, too.

And, as before, screaming obscenities neither helped nor harmed my efforts.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bramble Silvertree
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Bramble Silvertree   E-mail Bramble Silvertree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Husband learned this trick inadvertantly while on hold with our bank. Just as the automatic voice asked him to state the nature of his call, I asked him which bbq sauce on he wanted on his chicken. Unfortunately, the roasted garlic department was unavailable, so he was transferred to the help center to see if they could assist him.

--------------------
"Tout le monde est fou, sauf vous et moi."

Posts: 47 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That reminds me: One of the customer services representatives I spoke to in the past two weeks told me that at least for her system, if you say "Representative" when asked for any voice response, you will be transferred directly to a real live human being.....or at least to the wait line for one.

"Roasted garlic" "Representative" Close enough?

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I dialed FedEx just to see. I said the f-word twice and it said "Sorry, I didn't understand. If you know the option you want, please say it now" both times. I then said the s-word and it said "You want to track a package?"

NFBSK (nif-bisk) made it confused.

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:
That reminds me: One of the customer services representatives I spoke to in the past two weeks told me that at least for her system, if you say "Representative" when asked for any voice response, you will be transferred directly to a real live human being.....or at least to the wait line for one.

I remembered to try this today. After I provided my account number, I said "Representative" once, the computer asked me to repeat, I said it again and got straight past the computer's plan to summarize my account and who knows what else before offering me a chance to speak to a rep. Instead, I was connect directly to a real live human being.

Different company than the one the woman who told me to try it works for.

--------------------

Ophiuchus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ophiuchus   E-mail Ophiuchus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually like automated phone systems most of the time, especially when I want to check my bank or credit card records. What I really hate is the new systems where they ask you to say things because it never understands me. This is especially annoying when they want me to say a long string of numbers and won't let me just punch them into the phone...
Posts: 411 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smackmac     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to just ignore all number punching options, as if I had a rotary phone, and that would usually get me to an operator. Then they added voice recognition software, that never ever recognizes a word I say. So you need an operator anyway!! What's the point?

quote:
My personal pet peeve is having to key in my account number, then being asked for it by the first person I speak to. Or worse, being asked for it repeatedly by several people.

I absolutely hate this. Doesn't my account number show up on some kind of computer when they pick up the call?

--------------------
"Maybe getting in the last word doesn't really mean you win." - The Clarks

Posts: 486 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DarkDan:
I dialed FedEx just to see. I said the f-word twice and it said "Sorry, I didn't understand. If you know the option you want, please say it now" both times. I then said the s-word and it said "You want to track a package?"

NFBSK (nif-bisk) made it confused.

FWIW, I know from experience that all you need to do to reach an operator is say "customer service". The tree will ask you if it's for an existing package but won't try to push you back into an automated system.

The thing I like to do is go "BOOOOOOOOP" when I get into those things. It doesn't ever work. It does make me feel as though I am accomplishing something, though, which in turn makes me more confident when it comes time for my performance appraisal. My cow-orkers give me strange looks, but to be honest strange looks are not rare in my work area.

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Just heard from another customer service person that the magic word for Merrill-Lynch is "Advisor"

--------------------

Top Kat
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Top Kat   E-mail Top Kat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I once got some videos for free because of a lousy phone tree.

I ordered four videos. One arrived, but two weeks went by and the others did not show up.

I called the customer service number. It told me that the videos should have arrived by X date (which was in the past). There was no option to say "Well, they didn't!" and no option to speak to a human. (I didn't know about saying "Operator" then).

So I disputed the charge with the credit card. They took off the charges for all four videos. Shortly thereafter, the other videos arrived. (I wrote and told the credit card company they could put the charges back on, but they never did.)

Posts: 264 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages