snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » Wal-Mart security driven by greed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wal-Mart security driven by greed
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 18 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I watched a documentary about Walmart that claimed 80% of the
crime happened in the parking lot, yet Walmart doesn't install security
cameras, unless there is union activity to bust. Is it true!?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Legion600
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion600   E-mail Legion600   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, this website has some information on crimes occurring in Wal-Mart parking lots.

http://www.walmartcrimereport.com/

They also have a link to a report about the number of crimes that occur nationally at Wal-Mart.

I know the Wal-Mart in my old hometown didn't have security cameras in their parking lot. Whenever they had a parking lot sale they would leave the stuff in the lot and hire a security guard (me) to watch it all night. Talk about a boring 11 hours.

--------------------
Yes. I'm Evil. What's your point?

Posts: 199 | From: Bowling Green, OH | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, but with the security cameras comes something else...

When my son was working at Walmart, one night his stereo got stolen from his car. In a brightly lit parking lot. Now, there are 24 security cameras watching the parking lot. So, review the tape, catch the crook, eh?

Now, by a strange quirk of fate, his car was parked in an area where two cameras had a blind spot, and couldn't see those few spaces... hmmm...
So, unfortunately "nothing can be done, sorry". And there were more parking lot thefts unsolved, we found out.

Draw your own conclusions. We did.

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 213 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I can't believe this is true, but a woman I know swears it is.
She says that a woman was groped at the Wal-Mart store in Cedar Rapids,
Iowa and when she ran to Customer Services and asked for Security she was
told that Wal Mart didn't have any after 5 pm as it was too expensive, and
they refused to call the police.

To me the whole story sounds fishy. What young woman wouldn't have a cell
phone to call herself? And when have you ever been in Wal Mart in the
evening with so few people around that one would feel threatened in an
aisle?

It sounds like a "trash Wal-Mart" to me.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Anyte
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anyte   E-mail Anyte   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At least one local Wal-Mart has a monitor near the doors that shows the feed from the parking lot cameras.

I have been to Wal-Mart when it is close to deserted. The only time reference the OP gives is "after 5 pm." There are 2 Wal-Marts in Cedar Rapids, I imagine that either of them could be sparsely populated late at night. However, there is a flaw in the logic of the security claim or in mine. My assumption would be that there is a greater need for security after 5 pm. 1: Most people get off work at 5, and the greatest crowds will be present from 5-6, and in my mind that means a greater need for loss prevention. Then later at night, when the store isn't as busy, you seem more likely to have trouble makers. There's also absolutely no reason given for their refusal to call the police.

--------------------
Too broke to pay attention

Posts: 452 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It depends on the individual Wal-Marts.

I know the Wal-Mart I worked at did NOT have security. It had loss prevention associates (as do all Wal-Mart stores), but these were just regular workers whose job was to discourage shoplifters. There were no security guards of any type. When shoplifters were caught, the local police were called and shoplifter was detained until they arrived. During busy times of the year, the police had a small mobile command trailer they would park in the parking lot. This same store also had security cameras, but they did not cover the entire parking lot.

Another store in Hattiesburg does employ security guards in the form of off-duty police in uniforms outside the store. I've seen other stores do so as well, but it is not a company-wide thing by any means.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: (SNIP)To me the whole story sounds fishy. What young woman wouldn't have a cell
phone to call herself?

That just bugs the crap out of me. I wasn't able to obtain cell service until just this year. Not everybody is ABLE to obtain cell service. Just because something is common, doesn't mean it's a God-given right to all. It reminds me of people around here where I live. I tell them I don't have a car and they look at me like I suddenly grew a third eye.

Of course, there's also the grammatical problems. Why would someone want to call themselves in an emergency? [Big Grin]

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rebochan the Retail Reindeer
Good King Wal-Mart

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rebochan the Retail Reindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wouldn't shock me. A Wal-Mart near me got in trouble a few years back for not only ignoring a naked, battered woman that had just escaped from her husbands car and ran in the store for help, but they actively refused to call the police or render assistance even when her husband dragged her back outside.

She should have stolen a pack of gum first [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

"Vote Republican! We won't burn you at the stake for your religious beliefs or slaughter your family and steal your land." -- Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 3555 | From: Florida | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
SSR: Common patrons would have put the husband down with their bags of grocery or newfounded products like baseball bats. [Big Grin]

Relic: The biggest problem is not alot of people can afford the high rising costs of cell phones these days. Even my dad is fighting on which phone company to chose these days. He switched from Verizon to Vonage for cheaper service and back to Verizon because the connection was crappy to him.

----
And in my belief, Wal-Mart should have their security guards on duty 24/7. It's uncanny that people come in at any time to snatch things from the store and they get caught either on the spot or hours later with the camera footage, but to get mugged you don't?

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alistair
Billy, Don't Be a Hero Sandwich

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alistair   Author's Homepage   E-mail Alistair   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wouldn't disbelieve anything about Wal-Mart. The recently bought out a local supermarket chain in Brazil and security outside the actual store is zero, but inside it's max. A woman was hijacked in the parking lot of a local store (full of CCTV caneras) but when the police asked to review the security tapes the relevant ones seemed to have been wiped. I heard it from an employee of the chain that they get told frlm the higher-ups to not get involved in anything outside the actual store (including the parking lot).
Posts: 64 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pondicherry Pi
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pondicherry Pi   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pondicherry Pi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Wal-Mart closest to me, which is a 24 hour store, doesn't have cameras that I know of, however, they do employ a security guard.

I don't think I've ever seen him before the sun sets, so they must only do so for the later hours, which makes sense.

ETA: Just wanted to point out he specifically guards the parking lot. He drives around in a truck with very annoying lights.

--------------------
If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

What the NFBSK is Glurge? Or, a link to Snopes Lingo

Posts: 218 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ajna
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 82 posted      Profile for ajna     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RelicMan:
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: (SNIP)To me the whole story sounds fishy. What young woman wouldn't have a cell
phone to call herself?

That just bugs the crap out of me. I wasn't able to obtain cell service until just this year. Not everybody is ABLE to obtain cell service. Just because something is common, doesn't mean it's a God-given right to all. It reminds me of people around here where I live. I tell them I don't have a car and they look at me like I suddenly grew a third eye.

Of course, there's also the grammatical problems. Why would someone want to call themselves in an emergency? [Big Grin]

[Smile]

I'm glad you brought up this point Relicman. It's amazing that people just ASSUME that people have certain items, services or even attitudes. Some people choose to try and live off the grid more and some people just don't have the opportunities to have what everyone else has.

Posts: 4 | From: Medford, Oregon | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
2Pence
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2Pence   E-mail 2Pence   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Doesn't Wal-Mart (or any business establishment) have responsibility and legal liability for things that go on in the parking lot of the establishment? Wal-Mart owns the parking lot, right? It seems to me that they would have to care about people getting mugged, injured, etc. in the parking lot due to inadequate security measures.

If this is a case of me just being completely ignorant, feel free to correct and/or ignore my assumptions!

Posts: 46 | From: Minnesota! | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
emperor_genghis_khan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emperor_genghis_khan   E-mail emperor_genghis_khan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
2Pence exactly my thoughts they would be liable if they did nothing to prevent it, if theyhad a guard there but something happens they can claim that they had security.

--------------------
Excuses satisfy only those who offer them. Your enemies won't believe them and your friends don't need them.

Posts: 211 | From: Ponce, Puerto Rico | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gnome
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gnome   E-mail gnome   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm more interested in the claim that they refused to phone the police... that is absurd... especially since all Wal-Marts have pay phones, as far as I know, from which 911 can easily be called.
Posts: 418 | From: New Port Richey, FL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
babyshoes

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babyshoes   E-mail babyshoes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As far as Wal-Mart employees not calling 911...about two years ago, a friend had a heart attack in the local Wal-Mart. He made it to the "Customer Service" desk (or whatever it's called), told the young woman there that he was having a heart attack (he knew, he'd had one before), and asked her to call 911. She said she couldn't, she'd have to get a manager. He remembers begging her to call, as he laid there on the floor. Fortunately, an off-duty firefighter happened to wander by about that time, and he used his cellphone to call for help.

I've never figured out why someone would have to ask permission before calling 911. Very weird.

--------------------
"When Jesus said to love your enemies, I think he meant don't kill them." from a song by Linda K. Williams

Posts: 124 | From: Rappahannock County, VA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gift-wrapped smittykins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gift-wrapped smittykins     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babyshoes:
As far as Wal-Mart employees not calling 911...about two years ago, a friend had a heart attack in the local Wal-Mart. He made it to the "Customer Service" desk (or whatever it's called), told the young woman there that he was having a heart attack (he knew, he'd had one before), and asked her to call 911. She said she couldn't, she'd have to get a manager. He remembers begging her to call, as he laid there on the floor. Fortunately, an off-duty firefighter happened to wander by about that time, and he used his cellphone to call for help.

I've never figured out why someone would have to ask permission before calling 911. Very weird.

Oh. My. God. [Eek!] [Eek!]
Did your friend survive?

(BTW, welcome to the boards!)

--------------------
"We're all entitled to a few eccentricities, provided they don't harm anyone, break the law, or cause a public nuisance"--James Qwilleran, The Cat Who Dropped A Bombshell(Lillian Jackson Braun)
Member AAMAH

Posts: 352 | From: Seneca Falls, NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
babyshoes

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babyshoes   E-mail babyshoes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Did your friend survive?

(BTW, welcome to the boards!)

Thank you! Figured it was time to come out of lurkdom...

Yes, fortunately, my friend survived.

--------------------
"When Jesus said to love your enemies, I think he meant don't kill them." from a song by Linda K. Williams

Posts: 124 | From: Rappahannock County, VA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Probably liability. The store probably wants to make sure that they dont get sued. A customer service rep doesnt represent the sore. Its the manager who is supposed to make that call. In that case the cust rep should have called the manager immediatley about a medical emergency (i dont know what wallmart calls them). they would have either called 911 themselves or had them or another person contact 911 while they get the proper forms prepared to file an incedence report for liablity reasons.

THats my experience from working in retail. The manager is supposed to be one to make the call so you (the employee) dont have to outting youself in a situation that could go above your head.

THere are procedures for thiings like this that management knows about and are proebably better handled for.

I dont know exactly what was going on at that store, but I hope that cust rep call a manager or whomever is respnsible for customer safety (security). If they dont do that, they are taking a huge risk and probably should be severly repremanded.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Legion600:
I know the Wal-Mart in my old hometown didn't have security cameras in their parking lot. Whenever they had a parking lot sale they would leave the stuff in the lot and hire a security guard (me) to watch it all night. Talk about a boring 11 hours.

Legion - just curious. What would you have done if someone had actually tried to steal something? Besides yelling "Hey! You!", that is.
Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
reflex
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reflex   E-mail reflex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by diddy:
quote:

Probably liability. The store probably wants to make sure that they dont get sued. A customer service rep doesnt represent the sore. Its the manager who is supposed to make that call. In that case the cust rep should have called the manager immediatley about a medical emergency (i dont know what wallmart calls them). they would have either called 911 themselves or had them or another person contact 911 while they get the proper forms prepared to file an incedence report for liablity reasons.

THats my experience from working in retail. The manager is supposed to be one to make the call so you (the employee) dont have to outting youself in a situation that could go above your head.

THere are procedures for thiings like this that management knows about and are proebably better handled for.

I dont know exactly what was going on at that store, but I hope that cust rep call a manager or whomever is respnsible for customer safety (security). If they dont do that, they are taking a huge risk and probably should be severly repremanded.

Every employee of the store is an agent, and their actions represent the store. If a clerk, a checkout person, or a customer service desk jockey commit some sort of tortious act, you better believe that Wal-Mart is vicariously liable, unless, of course, the person is acting outside of their professional capacity (they're driving to or from work, but haven't clocked in yet, for example).

Also, Wal*Mart, or the employee, would face no liability if their only undertaking to act was that of calling 911, and many jurisdictions have good Samaritan laws that shield those who do come to the aid of another person in need. Now, if Wal*Mart did undertake to act, but actually left the person in a worse situation, they would be liable. It's not likely, though, that calling 911 would have done so.

The clerk probably was probably just scared about losing her job. I'd chalk that one up to either poor preparation on the part of Wal*Mart or simple fear. Either way, Wal*Mart doesn't need any more bad press.

eta the word *not* before likely up there...

--------------------
The opinions expressed herein do not represent those of any rational human being and are solely for the purpose of entertainment.

Posts: 487 | From: Brick City (Newark), NJ | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by reflex:
quote:
quote:

Every employee of the store is an agent, and their actions represent the store. If a clerk, a checkout person, or a customer service desk jockey commit some sort of tortious act, you better believe that Wal-Mart is vicariously liable, unless, of course, the person is acting outside of their professional capacity (they're driving to or from work, but haven't clocked in yet, for example).

Also, Wal*Mart, or the employee, would face no liability if their only undertaking to act was that of calling 911, and many jurisdictions have good Samaritan laws that shield those who do come to the aid of another person in need. Now, if Wal*Mart did undertake to act, but actually left the person in a worse situation, they would be liable. It's not likely, though, that calling 911 would have done so.

The clerk probably was probably just scared about losing her job. I'd chalk that one up to either poor preparation on the part of Wal*Mart or simple fear. Either way, Wal*Mart doesn't need any more bad press.

Actually, I would think they'd be MORE likely to be held liable for NOT calling. I would think that the manager's pooping bricks hoping they don't get sued. I'm not a litigious person, but if someone in my family died because the clerk thought she should check with the manageer before calling 911, I'd sue and probably win -- Wal-Mart either instructs their employees to follow this procedure or does not do enough to explain to them the exceptions to the rule (i.e., emergencies).

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
monkey
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monkey   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pondicherry Pi:
The Wal-Mart closest to me, which is a 24 hour store, doesn't have cameras that I know of, however, they do employ a security guard.

I don't think I've ever seen him before the sun sets, so they must only do so for the later hours, which makes sense.

ETA: Just wanted to point out he specifically guards the parking lot. He drives around in a truck with very annoying lights.

Same situation at our 24 hour Wal-Mart. The security guard is a lovely woman who is at least in her sixties, which isn't exactly what you'd expect in a security guard. I've never seen her do anything but drive around the lot slowly with those annoying flashy lights on the truck.

--------------------
http://sarahdwebber.wordpress.com/

Posts: 1490 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wall*mart brand waffles

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy

quote:
Originally posted by reflex:
quote:
quote:

Which is why we were told when to contact somebody in the store that is better informed. There are proticols to getting help. If there was a medical emergency at our store, we were told to contact a manager immediatly with the internal code for an emergency. Usually about 5 seconds later we get somebody who will directly call 911 who knew what to say properly and could deal with the incident reports. Your not supposed to do that on your own. Now that doesnt mean that you cannot dial 911 or refuse to. You still have to report it to your supervisor and they take it from there. Your expectations only go so far. However common sense still applies.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages