snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » U.K. 'gallows-maker' exposed as hoax

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: U.K. 'gallows-maker' exposed as hoax
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 81 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A man who sells pet food in England that attracted national attention in Britain with his claims he was making gallows for Libya has been exposed as a fraud.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?StoryID=20060601-014529-6266r

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anyone else expect some sort of link with the pet food?

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aptenodytes_Forsteriis
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aptenodytes_Forsteriis     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
or at least some gallows humor

--------------------
'Hello, assorted humanoid strangers. You are standing casually in our forest. This bewilders us.' Blatherskite

Posts: 950 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Captain Zombie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Zombie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Captain Zombie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did you have to hang that joke on there?
It just left me swinging.

--------------------
1st Infantry, SpecialOps Brigade - The Iron Faction.
I survived Initiation 2005... with Naked Mole Rat Sumotori and Bill O'Reilly

Posts: 264 | From: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Felessan
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No noose is good news!

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To be serious for a moment this turn of events really surprises me, mainly because the story was in several papers. (All tied in to a European law which will make it illegal to sell equipment used in torture or execution) I must admit it was one of those stories which got me swearing at the newspaper, mostly because the guy seemed A) Completely clueless as to the political situation in certain African Countries B) Completely clueless as to the crime situation in several African countries C) Claimed to be speaking for all UK citizens. (He certainly never asked me, and from my experience I very much doubt that even a majority in the UK support capital punishment)

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aptenodytes_Forsteriis
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aptenodytes_Forsteriis     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Felessan:
No noose is good news!

That's Knot necessary

--------------------
'Hello, assorted humanoid strangers. You are standing casually in our forest. This bewilders us.' Blatherskite

Posts: 950 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by James G.:
To be serious for a moment this turn of events really surprises me, mainly because the story was in several papers.

Yes, here's an example - a fairly in-depth piece in the Guardian:

The Suffolk farmer who sells gallows to Africa from his barn

quote:
A noose hangs from a gallows outside the modern buildings at Eldon farm, near Mildenhall. A set of solid oak stocks stands nearby. A family man and former safety inspector who has worked on Suffolk farms all his life, Mr Lucas began building gallows when asked by a foreign businessman.

He works alone, taking a week to construct a traditional gallows. Mr Lucas will not reveal how many he has supplied, but he says he only sold them to "law-abiding citizens" in foreign countries - reported to include Zimbabwe - for some years. A traditional platform gallows he is currently making alongside the garden benches in his warehouse retails for £12,000.

So he's "making" at least one more, according to this. It also said that he offered "undercover reporters" "a mobile unit of five or six gallows constructed from an articulated lorry trailer", although I would imagine that "undercover reporters" wouldn't have many qualms about asking if he could make one and then claiming that he'd "offered" if he said yes.

To be fair, most of that article is devoted to the guy spouting off about his opinions on capital punishment. It was a full page with a large picture of him, so he's certainly done well in making a platform for himself, if nothing else. Still slightly dodgy reporting though - they can't have made much effort to verify his claims... even though some of them are obviously a bit suspect in retrospect...

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. You sure can get a lot of money selling gallows to other countries. Where do I sign up? Would it be a sin if I did this?

- Pseudo (sure could use the cash) Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages