snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » Texas town has its own currency?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Texas town has its own currency?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 605 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I have heard there is a town in Texas that uses its own currency
and banking system. Is this true? Is the town not using Federal Reserve
notes? I can't find the town on any web site.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JmD
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JmD   E-mail JmD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a Town here in Nova Scotia called Mahone Bay and they have a $5 coin they call the "Mahoonie" which can only be used in the town.
Posts: 27 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been to many cities in the US where the local chamber of commerce sponsors a sort-of "barter system" where you can trade "Chamber Bucks" between participants. It's usually only good for services, and I've seen the "Chamber Bucks" used as gifts and rewards by employers (i.e. As employee of the week you get $25 "Chamber Bucks"), which you then have to spend in town. Probably happens in a lot of towns...

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ithaca, NY, has a local currency called Ithaca HOURs. The basic denomination is an hour's labor or $10. More than a C of C thing, the currency is backed by pledges from citizens and they system is run by a board of directors. Here's the history as described by the founder. It's been going since 1991.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
EthanMitchell
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EthanMitchell   E-mail EthanMitchell   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There are thousands of local currencies in the U.S., structured in many different ways. Some of the systems are very small and restricted, and some are quite large. Some are put out by CoCs, others by businesses (think coupons and company scrip), still others by nonprofits, and a few by townships. Google "local currency" and you'll get tons of hits.
Posts: 330 | From: New Haven, VT | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages