snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » 419 scams using job search sites

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 419 scams using job search sites
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if we covered this before, so chow me if we have.

DW has her resume up on careerbuilder, and last week, she got a "job offer" that allowed her to earn money working from home. She isn't looking for jobs, and she hasn't updated her resume in the past year or so. Anyways, the "job" was from Elaine charities, and the job was that she had to process charitable donations, and she would get to keep 10% of the donations. She wasn't interested anyways, and it smelled fishy to me (Why would anyone let us keep 10% for simply processing some cheques). I asked her to find out more, and she emailed them. Apparently, the process... ahem scam.. is that the "donations" will be made in her name. She has to deposit the cheque in her account, and send a cheque to them for 90% of the amount, and keep the 10%. That immediately triggerred a 419 alert in my head. Of course, she isn't going to go for it, and she has reported the "charity" to Careerbuilder and also posted on some websites that track 419'ers.

Apparently, this is becoming pretty common nowdays. Nigerian scammers are starting to use job search sites to troll for victims, and scam you in guise of offerring you a job.

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my exes got an offer like this, through monster.com. The difference is that he was looking for a part-time job. He told me about it, and I immediately told him to walk away. Fortunately, he wasn't taken in.

No reputable charity would require you to use your own bank account. But everyone here knows that.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages