snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » Walmart sells salvia plants!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Walmart sells salvia plants!
qualli
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Salvia divinorum of course, the plant that is supposed to have effects simliar to pot.

I've heard this UL several, several times since our local college paper ran a story about the legal high.

The UL that walmart, or lowes, or home deopt, had so many requests for the plant that they are going to start stocking it or already have.

Of course, it's not to be found so that spawns another UL, Salvia divinorum stopped being sold in stores because somebody confused it with cooking sage and got the women's fellowship at a local church baked.

Purely for research purposes I checked while I was buying some hardware. No salvia divinorum (and I was mildly curious!), the people hadn't heard of it. But I did find a pot of shamrocks for half off!

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wanderwoman
Bluetooth Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanderwoman   E-mail wanderwoman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard this story on NPR awhile back:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5290545

According to these sources the high is intense but not particularly pleasant. My understanding of this account was that many kids expected the experience to be similar to pot, but found differently when they used it. It does qualify this as being the case for "first time users", so maybe it gets better with repeated use? I have no personal experience with it and don't intend to seek any. The story I heard gave the impression that it's more of a ceremonial vision-producing drug.

--------------------
"But I'm adding this to my reasons why I never really liked really good looking men much. Sheesh, what good is good looking if you have to stuff a sock in his mouth." - Sara at home
NFBSK, IIRC and other mysterious Snopester language

Posts: 851 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wasn't aware that eating it would make you high. It sure would taste a lot worse than sage though.

I would assume since salvia is so readily avalible over the internet already dried and ready to smoke that live plants really wouldn't be that popular.

Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Peccavimus
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peccavimus   E-mail Peccavimus       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It has an effect almost, but not entirely, completely unlike pot. If smoked, it's about five minutes of closed-eye hallucinations similar to strong hypnogogic images. Some users report a euphoric feeling afterwards; I haven't noticed one. I have noticed about an hour to two hours of self-absorbed introspection. It is, unlike pot, completely unpleasant for most people.

Eating it won't make you high. Chewing plugs of fresh leaves for long periods of time will give you the same effect as smoking, but for longer duration. It also tastes about as bad as anything I've ever put in my mouth.

And, of course, it's now the target of all sorts of ill-informed hysteria.

Posts: 113 | From: DeKalb, IL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From Erowid.com, one of the best drug information sites on the web:

quote:
Depending on dosage, the Salvia experience can vary from a subtle, just-off-baseline state to a full-blown psychedelic experience. At higher doses users report dramatic time distortion, vivid imagery, encounters with beings, travel to other places, planets or times, living years as the paint on a wall or experiencing the full life of another individual. Needless to say these can be extremely powerful experiences and should only be attempted with a sitter. While most people remain unmoving during the experience, some individuals will attempt to get up and walk around while in a completely dissociated state.

While sub-threshold effects are somewhat innocuous--leading some people to be cavalier in subsequent experiences--once full effects are achieved, many people find S. divinorum to be unpleasantly overwhelming and more scary than fun. As has been found with pharmaceutical kappa-opioid agonists, salvia is aversive for many who try it.

So, it's really nothing like pot. I tried salvia once (smoked a small amount) and all I got was a headache.
quote:
Salvia is unscheduled in the United States meaning it is legal to possess and sell. The federal Analog Act generally requires chemicals be chemically similar to another scheduled substance to qualify . As Salvinorin is chemically very different from any scheduled substance it is unlikely to be targeted under that act. Salvia divinorum has been added to a list of controlled plants in Australia as of June, 2002.
So it's legal to sell a potted salvia plant.

Sage is in the genus Salvia, so I suppose it's plausible that one would confuse the type used for cooking with the type that produces hallucinogenic effects. However, in cooking, I usually use dried sage, and the psychoactive effects can only be derived from chewing fresh salvia divinorum:
quote:
Many people find it difficult to achieve full effects by smoking dried salvia leaves. Those who are successful generally require multiple large hits off a pipe or bong. Typical smoked doses with plain leaf are between 0.2 to 0.5 gram, about one large, dried leaf. For sublingual consumption, a typical dosage range is 10-50 grams of fresh (wet) leaf, approximately equal to 6 to 30 leaves, or 2-10 grams of dried leaf, usually reconstituted before consumption.

So let's say someone bought a potted Salvia divinorum plant, thinking it was sage, and used it in a dish for the women's fellowship at a local church. Aside from the fact that they don't look very much alike--This is Salvia divinorum and this is sage (salvia officinalis)--would that even get people high? How much fresh sage does one use in cooking? Would any given individual consume the 6-30 leaves necessary to feel the effects? (Especially since, as others have noted, it's just about the most godawful-tasting stuff around? This kind of reminds me of the one about pointsettias being poisonous--even if it were possible, how would anyone choke down enough?)
I vote UL. Incidentally, I've never seen Salvia divinorum for sale in potted form, either (not that I've really looked for it), and my one experience was buying a package of dried leaves in a smokeshop in the Haight-Ashbury district. I think the appeal of the legend lies in the image of a bunch of righteous, church-going women acting like stoned college students ("They call 'em fingers, but I never see 'em fing! ...Oh, wait...there they go." -10 pts. for reference)

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Salvia smoked in leaf form gives an experience that could best be described as like cannabis but with something missing. Kinda relaxing but quite disorienting, fades pretty quickly.

The effects most people associate with it (hallucinations, time distortion, etc.) occur when smoking a concentrated form of it. These are available in different strengths depending on how concentrated it is - anything from 5x to 60x and probably higher.

My guess is someone confused salvia divinorum with regular sage and the UL spread from there.

- Jonathan

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Clarkone68
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarkone68     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
("They call 'em fingers, but I never see 'em fing! ...Oh, wait...there they go." -10 pts. for reference)
Otto on The Simpsons.

--------------------
"This site also demonstrates one of the great dangers of archeology, not to life and limb, although that does sometimes take place, I'm talking about folklore."

Posts: 40 | From: VA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep!

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KaiTheInvader
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KaiTheInvader   Author's Homepage   E-mail KaiTheInvader   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've done saliva a few times......first time it didn't work on me at all (which I've heard happens to some people, plus it was a pretty old batch).....the second time (35x concentration) it was a very very intense feeling, extreme dizziness, I kept hallucinating (not actually seeing things, but the room would get close and far away, kind of like 2nd plateau of DXM, if anyone's experienced that before). it only lasted about 10 minutes though.

and no, it's nothing like pot. and that's where the confusion comes in, b/c it looks kind of similar and it's smoked, but the feeling is much much much more intense. I would think even moreso if you're expecting it to feel like pot does.

and I just showed what kind of people I hang around. shame on me.

--------------------
Resurrection of mankind to careen in silent pace. Feeling lonely. I am the dream that nobody dreams of, but will you dream of me, and dream of eternal desire? If you dream of me, will you live for me? Will you? Will you?

Posts: 344 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You can buy many kinds of ornamental Salvia at Lowes, Wal-Mart, or any other big box store that has a garden center. It's a very popular perennial.

Whether any of them are related to Salvia divinorum I don't know, but the plants are plainly tagged as Salvia. It is not kept with the sage plants, which are sold as an herb, but with the flowering plants.

Here's five pages worth of different Salvia varieties.

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OP looked like "Saliva Pants" at first glance. I really need to wake up!

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KaiTheInvader:
and no, it's nothing like pot. and that's where the confusion comes in, b/c it looks kind of similar and it's smoked, but the feeling is much much much more intense. I would think even moreso if you're expecting it to feel like pot does.

Ever tried it in basic form (rather than the concentrate)? It's usually sold in concentrate of 5x, 10, etc., but the leaves themselves can be vaguely cannabis-like, in the physical effects at least.

- Jonathan

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KaiTheInvader
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KaiTheInvader   Author's Homepage   E-mail KaiTheInvader   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jonny T:
quote:
Originally posted by KaiTheInvader:

Ever tried it in basic form (rather than the concentrate)? It's usually sold in concentrate of 5x, 10, etc., but the leaves themselves can be vaguely cannabis-like, in the physical effects at least.

- Jonathan

well, the first time was just the basic form, but it didnt work (not sure if it was just b/c it was old or lower concentration or what) hence the 35x the second time around.

--------------------
Resurrection of mankind to careen in silent pace. Feeling lonely. I am the dream that nobody dreams of, but will you dream of me, and dream of eternal desire? If you dream of me, will you live for me? Will you? Will you?

Posts: 344 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages