snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » Winning the cola wars

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Winning the cola wars
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 99 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: When Coke introduced New Coke in 1985, did Pepsi Cola give all of
their employees a day off to celebrate winning the "cola war?"

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:

I doubt it. Deliveries would still have to be made less they break contracts with stores. That kind of a shut down would cost millions. Plus why would coke releasing "new coke" would be winning the cola wars?

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Was the "new" coke the one people didn't like? Not the orginal cocaine one...The one after that, then the "new" would be the new formula...Sorry if I sound confusing [Frown]
Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tantei Kijo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tantei Kijo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tantei Kijo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's just a joke about how badly new coke went over.

--------------------
Bender: Though you may have to make a metaphorical "deal with the devil". And by "devil", I mean the robot devil, and by "metaphorically" I mean get your coat. ------------ My sad site: A new way to be bored.

Posts: 722 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by diddy:
Plus why would coke releasing "new coke" would be winning the cola wars?

From snopes' page on New Coke:

quote:
It tasted smoother and sweeter than original Coke, more like Pepsi.
I could see how Coke having to change their formula to taste more like Pepsi could be seen as a sort of "win" by Pepsi.

ETA: Sort of a funny story... I don't remember when New Coke came out, but I remember when Classic Coke was reintroduced. The funny thing is at the time I thought Classic Coke was a new product. I guess I just didn't pay attention to the news when I was 5.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard Nixon
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Nixon   E-mail Richard Nixon       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This news source states it as true and shows a little from the celebration.

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-69-630-3408-11/on_this_day/life_society/new_coke

Posts: 92 | From: Crystal Lake, Illinois | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I still dont buy it out of sheer logic. Public perception of New Coke wouldnt become noticable in any signifigant numbers publically until several days. Why would Pepsi give everyone a day off when New Coke could have been a big hit? How was such a thing be condiered winning the Cola Wars. Coke still exists and as far as I know, is doing well out there.

Maybe the senior staff took the day off but they wouldnt give everyone off and not give the possibility of having coke get a sales jump on what could be a big day for them.

It has to be a joke or at the very best a huge eggageration of what would have happened. Give everybody the day off? Sounds like something that would be too expensive and would serve no purpose to everybody.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Coca-Cola Zero tastes the best of all.

Sad part is the fear amongst us all given by the dentists that Coca-Cola products are dangerous to your health if it says "Phosphoric Acid" on the back of the bottle.

When in fact it doesn't matter which drink is the dangerous one when all "acid" drink and food products can have a danger amongst them given time being months against your teeth. Or making you fat.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard Nixon
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Nixon   E-mail Richard Nixon       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I used to drink a can of Coke every weekday, and I never got fat or got any cavities.
Posts: 92 | From: Crystal Lake, Illinois | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Z:

Sad part is the fear amongst us all given by the dentists that Coca-Cola products are dangerous to your health if it says "Phosphoric Acid" on the back of the bottle.

I've never had a dentist even mention phosphoric acid to me- they have however mentioned that too much sugar and not enough brushing can result in cavities. I don't think it's sad that dentists have taught us to be more careful with our sugar consumption and oral hygiene.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
-hoardes all the Coke Zero-

It's mine I tell you, MINE!!

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spc. Sharki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spc. Sharki   E-mail Spc. Sharki   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:

According to "The Big Book of Losers", published by the same company that published "The Big Book of Urban Ledgends", Pepsi declared a corprate holiday when Coke unvailed New Coke.

--------------------
Let your TV bleed- Tom Petty

Posts: 329 | From: Wiesbaden, Germany | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sleeping_dragon
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sleeping_dragon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I'm back home in the States, I'm a Pepsi drinker; I rarely drink Coke (when I do drink that sort of thing, which isn't that often). But here in NZ, it seems to me that the recipes are switched. I can't stand Pepsi here because it tastes like Coke does in the States. So now I'm a Coke drinker. It will be interesting to see if I feel the same when I visit the States later this year. Maybe I'm actually just a reformed Pepsi drinker. [Eek!]

--------------------
He who angers you controls you.

Posts: 33 | From: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ben Who
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Who   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ben Who   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't interpret it to mean that Pepsi gave EVERYONE, from the CEO to the truck drivers, a day off, but rather that Corporate gave a day off to its office staffers. The trouble is, this discussion is starting to make me realize that that's just a personal interpretation.

Love, Who?

Posts: 404 | From: Portland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jswhite
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jswhite     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sleeping_dragon:
When I'm back home in the States, I'm a Pepsi drinker; I rarely drink Coke (when I do drink that sort of thing, which isn't that often). But here in NZ, it seems to me that the recipes are switched. I can't stand Pepsi here because it tastes like Coke does in the States. So now I'm a Coke drinker. It will be interesting to see if I feel the same when I visit the States later this year. Maybe I'm actually just a reformed Pepsi drinker. [Eek!]

Even in different regions in the States the recipes seem different. The best Coke I've ever had actually comes from Arkansas. I don't know if it's the water, or perhaps a bottler down near there that uses cane sugar instead of corn syrup (like the Dr. Pepper bottler in Texas), but Coke in Arkansas just tastes better. I'm from Missouri originally, and went to school at Tulane in New Orleans, so I'd have to drive through Arkansas going either way. I'd always make sure to stop off and buy a Coke as soon as I hit the border, and sometimes I'd bring back cases and two-liters with me.

My mother-in-law has advised me, however, that apparently Diet Coke from Arkansas tastes terrible. Go figure.

Posts: 1 | From: Boise, ID | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 99 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Public perception of New Coke wouldnt become noticable in any signifigant numbers publically until several days. Why would Pepsi give everyone a day off when New Coke could have been a big hit?
The public perception of New Coke was irrelevant -- Pepsi had "won" by forcing their major competitor to make a substantial change to its flagship product. Even if New Coke had sold like hotcakes, Pepsi would be celebrating their having vanquished the original Coca-Cola.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sylvanz
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sylvanz   E-mail Sylvanz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Eh whatever, I'm a die hard Coca Cola fan. When they changed the formula my mom-in-law, hubby, and I all went into crisis mode. We called the company and complained, we bought all the "old" i.e. "real" Coke we could find, and we waited in misery for {insert dirge like music here} the END. We were very much relieved when the company came to their senses. [Big Grin]

P&LL, Syl'I thought "new coke" tasted like old RC Cola blech'vanz

--------------------
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. — Voltaire

Posts: 1944 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
caligulathegod
Miso Horny

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caligulathegod     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to add:

When Diet Coke was introduced and was so popular, they then used the Diet Coke formula with corn sweeteners to be "New Coke". Coke Zero is the opposite. Coke Zero is actually the Classic Coke formula with calorie-free sweeteners.

Posts: 12 | From: Grove City, OH | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages